PDA

View Full Version : therapy animals

dionne
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
ok, so what do you guys think of the therapy animals thing? personally i have my two furbabies as therapy animals, and in my opinion it works, but what do YOU think???

Sevaede
06-16-2006, 02:13 AM
I believe that therapy animals do so much more good than I can even begin to explain. They uplift, they help, they love. Their services are vital and they don't ask for anything in return but love. Okay, maybe a hug and kiss but that's about it. :D

catmandu
06-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I think JJJ3 would be a great Therapy Animal, but hes so scared of travelling, that he has accidents in his travelling case.
I think that Animals can reach so many people , where even friends and family cannot reach.
I have seen Dogs would miracles in Nursing Homes, where they are treasured.

orangemm
06-17-2006, 05:47 AM
They are a blessing to elderly folks, people who have brain injuries and don't respond to any other stimulus, abused children and so on. I've heard of them in prisons where hardened criminals care and protect them like precious objects.

I think they can work small and large miracles!

CalliesMom
06-17-2006, 06:21 AM
I think it is a truly wonderful idea. If I'm ill, my cats bring me so much comfort.

Though my kitties wouldn't make good therapy cats, one of my old co-workers would take her cat and dog into the hospital to see the patients. She told me numerous stories of the happiness the animals brought.

momcat
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
When Soncat was working as a stable manager at a horse farm, he taught therapeutic horseback riding to physically and developmentally disabled children. We took kids out of wheelchairs and walkers, put them on a horse and were thrilled at the results. No disabled child was ever turned away because their parents couldn't afford it, if the child could benefit from the program they were welcomed. Autistic children started to communicate, kids who couldn't walk learned to control their horse. These kids will never swing a bat, throw a football, or shoot a basketball like their siblings or neighbors but they could ride a horse! Studies have proven that a horse at the walk stimulates the same muscles in the child as if that child was walking on his own. The therapeutic instructors focused on ability, not disability. Along with the physical benefits, these students gained confidence and self esteem. My Mom is currently in a nursing home and about once a month a group of therapeutic dogs and cats come by for a visit. And those pets are a big hit among the residents. Wagging tails, purrs, and meows bring huge smiles from everyone. The residents pet them, talk to them, and sometimes get to hold them. These dogs and cats are very generous with kisses and affection to the residents. All pets are special. But from my own first hand experience therapeutic pets are in a class all their own, an extra special gift from God that brings happiness to those who need it the most. They always will have a very special place in my heart!