PDA

View Full Version : How can people be doctors?

Pembroke_Corgi
06-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry to post a sort of "rant" thread, but this is bothering me and I can't sleep but for thinking of it. Today I had to work in the surgical intensive care unit, and I saw something very disturbing...normally they take patients to ORs to do major operations, but for whatever reason there was a patient today in IC where they had to operate in the room. They had sheets over the doors (which are glass) while they were operating, but afterwards they were open and I had to help clean up a bit with the patient still in the room.

I hope to god I never have to see anything like that again, it wasn't even the blood that bothered so much as the thought of the amount of suffering that person must be going through and how their family would feel if they saw that. I don't want to go into details, but that person did not look human anymore and the image keeps going through my mind. :( How do doctors deal with that?? All of the surgeons were chatting out in the hallway calmly afterwards like nothing had happened. I know they are doing something incredible and saving lives, but I would find it far too stressful and painful.

I really dislike like working in that unit, it takes a toll on me seeing people's families crying all the time and people coming in after horrible accidents. :(

caseysmom
06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
I think it takes a special person, and thank god for those special people. I am sure medical school makes you or breaks you. I know I could never do it.

Dorothy39
06-16-2006, 12:00 AM
I have to take my hat off to you, because I could never work in an Intensive Care Unit. I am sorry that your job puts you in such extraordinary circumstances.

I've met people like you while being a family member in the Intensive Care Unit. You are the kind of nurse who responds to the family with sincere compassion. , Yet, you go back home and fall apart.

I pray that the patient you spoke of will recover. I highly respect your profession as well. ;)

Cataholic
06-16-2006, 08:19 AM
I must echo Dorothy 39's comments. YOU are to be commended. I couldn't do it, but, thank God for those that can.

I know when my neice was in the PICU, and someone else's child didn't make it, the whole floor took on a shadow, however briefly, but, it lifted to focus on those still holding on. Very sad.

Hugs to you, PC.