PDA

View Full Version : what's your flea preventative?

lute
06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
what do you use as flea preventative? my dogs/cats get garlic pills. it's too dangerous to use most medications.

Roxyluvsme13
06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Revolution ^^ It's good stuff.

.sarah
06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
They don't recieve any preventative, and they are fine. :)

cali
06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
fleas dont like the smell or taste of raw fed dogs from what I have heard. Happy and Misty do where flea and tick collars but only because they dont sell plain ol tick collars lol

Suki Wingy
06-15-2006, 03:37 PM
none, we've never had them.

ramanth
06-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Frontline for fleas, HeartGard for heartworms.

lv4dogs
06-15-2006, 03:51 PM
fleas dont like the smell or taste of raw fed dogs from what I have heard.

I've never heard that, maybe I'll have to try my crew with no flea prevention & see what happens.

They get advantage or frontline plus, whatever is cheaper or more avail at the time.

.sarah
06-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I've never heard that, maybe I'll have to try my crew with no flea prevention & see what happens.It's because fleas prefer a less than healthy host. I guess maybe a truly healthy dog doesn't taste good?

Nova's immune system has been compromised by vaccines, and she has gotten the occassional flea. Nothing for alarm, but the other dogs haven't had a single flea since switching to raw.

Riptide
06-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I use Frontline for fleas, Heartguard for heartworms ^^

dab_20
06-15-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't use anything for fleas for them. They are on heartguard for heartworms.

bckrazy
06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Same here, they're both on Heartguard but nothing else. My Mom uses nematodes in the yard (still have no idea what the heck this is... but it apparently works) because it's over 1 acre and the back is woodsy. I give them garlic supps here and there, and if I find a tick anywhere I have frontline just in case. Last year I saw a few ticks where I walked Gonzo, so he was on Frontline all season and he didn't have a single flea or tick.

My Peanuts
06-15-2006, 05:37 PM

That's what we use accept we use heartguard plus. I forget what the difference is.

binka_nugget
06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
fleas dont like the smell or taste of raw fed dogs from what I have heard. Happy and Misty do where flea and tick collars but only because they dont sell plain ol tick collars lol

That's pretty interesting.. Kai has only ever gotten fleas when he was fed kibble.

My boys aren't on anything at the moment. Fleas aren't bad around here so I don't use any preventative. If they get it, I'll put them on Advantage for a month or two until the fleas clear up.

lizbud
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I use Advantage for fleas and Heartgard Plus for heartworms.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
The dogs use Frontline Plus once every 3 months for fleas, and heartgaurd every month for heartworm preventative.

.sarah
06-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I also don't give any heartworm preventative.

sabies
06-15-2006, 06:22 PM
frontline, only in the summer

gemini9961
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Frontline Plus for fleas/ticks and Interceptor for heartworms.

lv4dogs
06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
It's because fleas prefer a less than healthy host. I guess maybe a truly healthy dog doesn't taste good?

Nova's immune system has been compromised by vaccines, and she has gotten the occassional flea. Nothing for alarm, but the other dogs haven't had a single flea since switching to raw.

Wow, if your girls in FLORIDA don't get fleas I think I'm going to go without and see happens.

PS, I see others are listing what they use for heartworm prevention, I use interceptor, as Aussies (as well as many collie breeds & the like) are sometimes known to have reactions with ivermectin, most often called ivermectin sensitivity.

pitc9
06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Frontline Plus for fleas and liquid Ivermectin for heartworm.
I used to use Revolution, but have found this way to be much cheaper!

dappledoxie
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I have my dogs on Frontline Plus but since I don't have any cats I'm thinking of switching to K9 Advantix. Ticks and fleas are pretty bad in my area, especially this year for some reason. I use Interceptor for heartworm prevention.

.sarah
06-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow, if your girls in FLORIDA don't get fleas I think I'm going to go without and see happens.
Hey, it's worth a shot! And if you see a flea or two you can always give them a teaspoon of garlic to see if that helps.

JenBKR
06-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Frontline plus for me!

cyber-sibes
06-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Our old vet had a model of an infested heart - gross!!! He also said it was prevelent inour area. Both are on heartworm preventative, used to use Frontline, now using Interceptor. Just switched to K9 Advantex because of the mosquito repelling factor - those are pretty bad around here after our rainy spring. My huskies live outdoors, so there is reason to use it. If they stayed indoors all the time, I might think about discontinuing its use. Also have planted several mosquito-repellent bushes in their yard. Never have seen fleas on them. Ticks were bad in IL, Star had one that caused a hot spot. That's when I started using Frontline.

lizbud
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I am really surprised at the number of people who don't protect their
dogs from heartworm infestation. :( The sad fact is they don't begin to show symptoms until the heart muscle is fully involved.This is a sad and
painful way to die. :( I'd rather not guess that my dogs will not contract
this horrible disease. :(

JenBKR
06-16-2006, 01:04 PM
dogs from heatworm infestation. :( The sad fact is they don't begin to show symptoms until the heart muscle is fully involved.This is a sad and

Oh the question only asked about flea medication, so I didn't mention anything about heartworm prevention, but I use heartguard plus.

What is the difference between heartguard and heartguard plus?

k9krazee
06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
We don't use anything for fleas, but use Heartguard for heartworms.

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
They don't recieve any preventative, and they are fine. :)
Same here :). We don't need it. :) We give her Interceptor 1 a month to prevent heartworm and that is it.

dappledoxie
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
dogs from heatworm infestation. :( The sad fact is they don't begin to show symptoms until the heart muscle is fully involved.This is a sad and

I know what you mean, my fathers dog Molly who's now in my care, has heartworms. We're lucky we caught it so quickly, she's now on her way back to good health. :)

.sarah
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't think anybody on Pet Talk would intentionally put their dogs in danger. Some areas don't need hearworm preventative.

I don't give it for another reason. I have researched this and am very comfortable with my decision. And believe me, I didn't take it lightly, since I live in Florida and have had a heartworm positive dog before and have worked at a vet and witnessed plenty of treatments.

Cincy'sMom
06-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Same here

Daisy and Delilah
06-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I use Advantage and Heartgard. :)

Kfamr
06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Frontline Plus and Heartguard.

I don't see it possible NOT to have any protection living in Florida. Especially since I live so close to the coast, and my dogs visit the beach often where there's tons of sand fleas.

wolf_Q
06-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Nothing for fleas, we don't have them here. Heartworm is very rare here as well but I give Nebo monthly pills anyway...it starts with an I I'm not sure if its Ivermectin or Interceptor, something like that...its what my vet carries. ;)

.sarah
06-17-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't see it possible NOT to have any protection living in Florida.After trying to reword this a billion times, I can't figure out how to say anything and not sound rude. I just seems that you're talking about me, and like I said, I researched this and am comfortable with my decision.

This article includes all of the main reasons that I don't give heartworm.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040605095457/bullovedbulldogs.com/heartworm.htm

If I'm going to the beach, camping, will be outside for a long period of time, and am taking my dogs, certainly they will be sprayed vigorously with a natural mosquito repellent.

Not everyone is going to agree, some people will think I'm doing more harm than good, some people will think I'm just cheap, whatever. I'm doing what I know is best for my dogs and that's all that matters.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
06-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I don't use any preventatives either. Heartworm is NOT a concern where I live and Bailey has never had a flea.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Nothing. Fleas aren't a huge problem where I live. Dogs do get them, but not often and none of our dogs have ever had them. My dogs are also not on any heartworm prevention as it is not a problem in my area at all...if I lived somewhere that fleas or heartworms were a problem, they'd definitely be on prevention.