PDA

View Full Version : Agility problems

dab_20
06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I made a couple jumps and stuff for Sam because we are starting agility. Well, he's afraid of the jumps. He barks at them and if I try and get him to go closer with the leash, he pulls back as hard as he can. How do I get him to not be afraid of them?

Flatcoatluver
06-15-2006, 12:38 PM
I always tell people to WAIT till they go to a agility trainer. It so hard on their joints, at a young age. If Sam was one or two I would tell you how to teach him. But he is still a baby and his joints are still growing. Jumping is very painful for them.

Riptide
06-15-2006, 12:43 PM
It's always a good idea to see a vet before you start agility, as well as find a trainer, as Flatcoatluver said. But after you get the "ok" from a vet, here's something you may want to try ^^

Lay the bar just flat on the ground. Get some realllllllly yummy treats (chopped up chicken, turkey, etc.) and put them right in front tof the dog's nose and slowly guide him over the bar. It may take a few times, but instead of being afraid of the jump, the dog will eventually learn that it is not so scary and that he gets lots of yummy treats afterward!

dab_20
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the replies. Ok, I will go to the agility trainer first, which is later this summer. So should I wait until he's grown up?

Riptide
06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I think that would be best ^^ Puppies have things in their legs called growth plates, and sometimes the impact of landing after a jump can damage them. It's better to wait until the puppy is full grown before you start to seriously train ^^ However, right now, you can work on basic obedience commands that would help in the longrun as well as teaching him to run through tunnels, etc. ^^

dab_20
06-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you! I will do obedience then this summer and next summer I will do agility.