PDA

View Full Version : So he won't slow down when he eats... and throws it all up again...

elminster20
06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Like my subject line says, Bob throws up after he eats more often then not. He scarfs it down and then tears around like a maniac until he pukes........ It doesn't seem to bother him too much, but is there a decent way to slow him down when he eats, short of feeding him one piece at a time?

It's great to be back, by the way, I missed this!

jenluckenbach
06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Use a very large plate or tray to spread the food around so he physically cannot eat it fast without moving around to get it. Also offer less amount more times a day. This technique worked for my RB Amanda (who I swear was bulimic)

rosethecopycat
06-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Use a larger bowl and put some golf balls (large marbles) in it with the kibble.

Craftlady
06-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Use a larger bowl and put some golf balls (large marbles) in it with the kibble.
I would not put anything in the bowl other than food, good way for the cat to try to swallow something that is not food related. Reasoning is they associate everything in their bowl as food.

Sonia59
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Peppito is doing the same when he has been alone at home for one or two days and when he's very excited because we are back. When I see him eating I can tell in advance that he will throw up, so I just gives him a small amount of food, I let him finish all, wait a bit, and then I give him more. ;)

The other suggestions look very good, I never thought about them.

catmandu
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
The Siamese do that even with all the feeding stations, as they all eat out of one or two bowls. and theres competition.
The large bowl is a good idea with just enough to feed Bob, but not overfeed him.

elminster20
06-15-2006, 08:10 PM
wow, I never thought of some of that before, I'll give them a try, see what happens!!!!!! Thanks everyone!

rosethecopycat
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I would not put anything in the bowl other than food, good way for the cat to try to swallow something that is not food related. Reasoning is they associate everything in their bowl as food.

You may have a good point here, but I've never experienced it.

Don Juan's mom
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
My sister Carolyn had the same problem with her senior cat Oliver. She solved it by getting a couple of those "vacation" feeders that can be set to open at a certain time each day. She divides his food between the compartments, so that he gets four tiny meals a day instead of one big one.

Liz