PDA

View Full Version : EXCITED!! **FEW ?'s**

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I may start showing Lily in Junior Showmanship! It's going to take alot of training and practice before I can actually show her, but I'm going to try! So I had a question or 2 for anybody else who shows or knows anything..
-Am I going to need supplies?
-Where could I get the supplies?
-What should I train Lily?

I think that's it.. 0__0

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
how exciting!! would you be doing juniors in conformation, agility, what? ^^

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Conformation probably, but if that doesn't work out I might try agility. Lily's quite the jumper :D.

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, I wont be much help then, lol, but try this link:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/showhandlingjr.htm

It explains alot ^^

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, I wont be much help then, lol, but try this link:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/showhandlingjr.htm

It explains alot ^^
lol, Don't you do Agility with Pixie?

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
yepp, but not conformation, lol

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I think Agility sounds more fun. What all do you need for it? ;D

Flatcoatluver
06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Before you get any eqimpment you need to go to a agility trainer. Agility can be very damaging to their joints and they can get hurt very easily unless you know what your doing. Agility is not something you go out and buy little jumps.

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Agility is indeed alot of fun! There is alotttt of work involved, though. I wouls suggest just starting out in the back yard with some homemade equipment ^^ There are alot of links online and how-to's for making equipment, like this one:

http://www.agilitybits.co.uk/Equipment/equip_index.html

Even just stacking up bricks and laying a stick over them works for a jump ^^
You'll also want to brush up on some obedience commands, particularly sit, down, come, and stay.

You'll also want to see a vet and make sure Lily is in good enough condition for agility ^^

-searches for more links-

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
More...

This whole page is VERY helpful ^^ It answers questions from construction of the equipment to training ^^

http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/FAQs/

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Okay, thanks ^^ I highly doubt my mom's going to want to spend money on my dog having fun though..

Roxyluvsme13
06-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I think I've decided what I *Really* want to do is Therapy work. Lily is practically made for it. She's sweet, and lovable and cuddly.

Riptide
06-14-2006, 11:48 PM
She'll need to get her CGC (Canine Good Citizen) title for that ^^

-goes to find links-

Giselle
06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
If you ever want to do Junior Showmanship again, you'll need to apply for an ILP if Lily is not AKC reg'd. Also, you must must must apprentice under a seasoned mentor/breeder or you won't succeed. I hate to admit it, but connections will get you quite far in the conformation ring. A lot of it is politics and a novice like you will need help from an expert like a reputable Pom breeder or a professional handler.

You will definitely need grooming tools and special leads :p A lot of Toy breed handlers like Resco leads, although I know many people prefer those leather leads (I can't remember the link, though, sorry!). You can find these supplies either on a website or at a local dog show.

Lily will need to know the basics: She must be used to standing still while a stranger examines her body. She needs to be comfortable with strangers opening her mouth to check her bite. She will need to know a very strong "Watch Me". She will also need to know how to free-stack. This is a rather difficult task because the motion some handlers use to freestack their dogs can look very similar to "Sit". You'll need to recondition Lily so as not to confuse her or use an entirely different hand motion. Most dogs, however, associate the show lead with free-stack instead of a "sit". You can fix this with Happy Legs or a homemade version of them: happylegs.com. You'll also need to learn the quirks of grooming *your* breed and how to handle them. There's a lot of tricks and techniques you'll need to learn but the rewards are sooo worth it :)

Riptide
06-15-2006, 11:44 AM
She will also need to know how to free-stack.

In my opinion, I would not train her to freestack. In junior handling, the junior is judged on how well she presents the dog. When the judge sees the freestacking dog, her immediate thought probably isn't going to be how many long hours the junior spent on training the dog to freestack...she may even see it as a sloppy presentation :/

Roxyluvsme13
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
If you ever want to do Junior Showmanship again, you'll need to apply for an ILP if Lily is not AKC reg'd. Also, you must must must apprentice under a seasoned mentor/breeder or you won't succeed. I hate to admit it, but connections will get you quite far in the conformation ring. A lot of it is politics and a novice like you will need help from an expert like a reputable Pom breeder or a professional handler.

You will definitely need grooming tools and special leads :p A lot of Toy breed handlers like Resco leads, although I know many people prefer those leather leads (I can't remember the link, though, sorry!). You can find these supplies either on a website or at a local dog show.

Lily will need to know the basics: She must be used to standing still while a stranger examines her body. She needs to be comfortable with strangers opening her mouth to check her bite. She will need to know a very strong "Watch Me". She will also need to know how to free-stack. This is a rather difficult task because the motion some handlers use to freestack their dogs can look very similar to "Sit". You'll need to recondition Lily so as not to confuse her or use an entirely different hand motion. Most dogs, however, associate the show lead with free-stack instead of a "sit". You can fix this with Happy Legs or a homemade version of them: happylegs.com. You'll also need to learn the quirks of grooming *your* breed and how to handle them. There's a lot of tricks and techniques you'll need to learn but the rewards are sooo worth it :)

Okay, thanks. I really can't make up my mind for 100% on what I want to do with her. I'm very indecisive. I think she would really enjoy Conformation though. She's got walking down pat pretty well, she just needs alot of focus training. Do you know of any Pom breeders that could help me..? I live in Eastern TN.

lute
06-15-2006, 01:56 PM
i don't know of any pom breeders in your area, but you could check out onofrio.com or infodog.com. both sites show upcomming dog shows. you should go to some shows and talk to breeders/handlers there.