PDA

View Full Version : Temperature of your thermostat?

sirrahbed
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Kirsten's post about the heat has me curious about what temperature some of you use on your A/C and heat. I am soooo thankful to have air and do not know how I could cope without it....

In the winter, we set the thermostat at 60 degrees and yes it is pretty cold in the house, but we heat the living room area with wood. The bedrooms remain quite cold.

In summer - hubby likes the A/C set at 72. I am a bit more frugal and like to keep it at 76, even though I do love the colder air.

So, what setting do some of you use?? :)

shihtzulover850
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
*runs off to check* we have it on 77 right now. at nights it is really cold at 74! it is comfortable now. but then that might be because it is cool outside! :p :p ;)

lv4dogs
06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Winter time my thermostat is set to 65-72F. It depends on how cold it is outside & how cold I am.

Summert ime I only turn the air on if it gets above 80-85F or so. They are the window a/c units and only one has a thermostat on it, that one is set to 75 I think. I just turn them down or off when my house gets cooler. lol

finn's mom
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
David keeps it about 78 or 80. I prefer a bit cooler, but, I'm not paying the bill, so, I don't complain. I just don't wear anything when I'm inside, so, I stay comfortable.

mruffruff
06-14-2006, 01:30 PM
My programmable thermostat is set for 78 from 8AM to 4PM (working) and 74 from 4PM to 10PM, then down to 70 (sleeping) and up to 72 from 5AM till 8AM. Got all that? :D

Weekends are easier--74 from 7AM and 70 from 10PM to 7AM.

When I'm working hard around the house I'll sometimes reset it to 70 temporarily.

Cataholic
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
When it was just me, the heat was about 60 (yes, I do mean 60 :D ), and the A/C about 76-78- just enough to take the heat and stupidity(LOL) out of the air.

With Jones, the heat is set at 70 (ugh, that is so warm), and the A/C usually at 78ish.

I cannot wait until I can count on Jones to keep covers on his little body at night. Yippee! Maybe in 2 years. Until then? I pay, pay, pay.

Randi
06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
You spoiled brats with your AC's! ;) ;) If I had one, I'd probably put it on 22 ... and 18 in the bedroom.

I just looked at the temp. on my alarm clock in the bedroom - it's 29!! However, it looks like the thunderstorm is coming. :)

Uabassoon
06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
In the winter we don't set it at all, sometimes we might turn a space heater in one of the room but it's never really cold enough to set the heat.

In the summer we keep it at 76 when we are at home and 80 when we are out. (But when Alexa isn't at home I usually put it at 74 or 75! :D ). I wish we could set it cooler but in Az it just isn't economical. The power comany suggests keeping the a/c at 78 but that's too warm for me.

With the weather often being 110+ and our vaulted ceilings I wouldn't want to see what the bill would be if we kept it any cooler!

KitCat
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
A/C is usually about 77-8.

CalliesMom
06-14-2006, 03:03 PM
We don't usually turn the heater on in the winter but if it gets really cold, it is set for about 60 degrees. Right now, we have the air conditioner set to 82 and keep the ceiling fan in the living room and the bedroom on at night. It's not too hot and keeps the kitties comfortable.

catlover4ever
06-14-2006, 03:09 PM
In the winter we are set at 62, I love it cold. My poor neighbor, when she comes over she does not take her coat off.

Since building the new house we now have central air and right now at night I put the 2nd floor to 67 and then turn it up to 70 when getting up in the morning. The first floor right now stays off and we open the windows, we get a really good cross wind at the house. Next week it is supposed to be in the high 90's so I figure we will keep the A/C set at 70 downstairs.

Ginger's Mom
06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
In the winter I have the heat at 68 (70 when it is a really cold spell) and in the summer I keep the air at 78 most of the time (when there is a particularly hot spell I turn it down to 76 for a short period of time).

Lizzie
06-14-2006, 04:48 PM
As several of my forced air heating units have died over the past few years, I haven't been able to afford to replace them, so two of the bedrooms are the only rooms that have heat. Fortunately our winters in the PNW don't have many nights below 20F. Of course, the cats crowd into the bedrooms and become lumps under the covers. I grew up in a home without central heating and well remember ice on the inside of my bedroom window and getting dressed under the bed covers, so I can cope. I don't have A/C, although plenty of new homes in the Seattle area are being built to include that feature now. I'll just move down to the cooler daylight basement when it gets unbearable upstairs in August.

dogzr#1
06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
We leave it at 75* for most of the day and down to 72* in the evening/night.

Daisy and Delilah
06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
I have the AC on 76-78(any lower than that in this heat and it would be running constantly all summer and most of the rest of the year) and the heat.........who knows?.......we never really use it much ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't like the a/c, I find it really annoying not to be able to go outside because it feels too hot! I love warm weather, so I don't mind to much although if it were up to Eric we would have it on all summer. Luckily, it costs money so it stays off unless it gets above 90 for a few days in which case I turn it on for the pets.

This past winter our heating bill was atrocious so we had the heat on at 61-64 degrees which is waaaaayyyy to cold. (I piled on sweaters and my big fuzzy robe, plus warm slippers). I would like it around 70-72, but it's too expensive!

gemini9961
06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
We keep the A/C at 74 all the time. Anything less I get too cold, anything more I get too hot. I think we keep the heat at about 68-70.

gini
06-14-2006, 10:39 PM
In all of these years in my old home I only had gravity heat until last November.

With the new a/c and heat and a programmable thermostat - I have been pretty cautious.

Someone who "knows" told me that it is better to turn the a/c on only when you feel you need it because it is far more efficient that way than leaving it on the timer.

I am waiting for my first electric bill to come in to see what damage I have caused.

However, my winter gas bill WENT DOWN................YAY! Nothing ever goes down does it? At least if it involves money it doesn't.

jazzcat
06-14-2006, 11:15 PM
The AC is set on 76 and 77 but that isn't the temp in the house most times. Our thermostat is in a "dead spot" in the hall where it's always warm and even though it may be set on 77 sometimes it will run and run before it thinks it has cooled off enough. Meantime the rest of the house might get as cold as upper 60s while the thermostat in the dead spot thinks it's just 76. We finally put a ceiling fan in the hallway and keep it running and that seems to help correct the problem. We've probably paid 100 times over what it would cost to have an electrician move the thermostat in wasted AC.

Glacier
06-15-2006, 01:11 AM
We have neither central air or air conditioning. A/C would just be silly! We have a propane furnace that we could use for heat, but propane heat is nasty. The furnace is set to kick in only if the pipes are in danger of freezing in the winter. We heat with a wood stove.

catnapper
06-15-2006, 07:20 AM
In the winter we keep it at 62 degrees. I think it feels nice in here. I like the air cooler.

The summer we keep the window AC units at 68-70 because they need to cool 2 or 3 rooms from one unit. I'm quite happy with that because the one that cools the kitchen, my office, and the livingroom happen to be a few feet away from my desk and its nice and chilly in here! :D

Craftlady
06-15-2006, 07:28 AM
70-72 normally with a/c
74 if it's running little more than we want it too.
Depends on temperature outside and humidity.
Our a/c does not do upstairs well at all (our finished attic) so that area does not get used from June until September. The duct work was not put in properly and it's too expensive to have it fixed. Heat works great up their in winter because "heat rises". I would put a small window a/c unit up there but hubby does not agree with that suggestion.

trayi52
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
74 all the time.

Willie :)