PDA

View Full Version : he *CAN'T* be serious!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
My manager just came in here and told me that I need to take a look at the dress code.

I asked him why? because of my shoes? (flip flops because my feet are swollen and I can't wear any of my other shoes)

and he said yes and the jeans...

I am 9.5 months pregnant!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn't see that i'm 45 pounds heaver than normal?!?!?!? What does he think... that I have a closet full of maternity clothes and shoes to fit the almighty dresscode!?!?!!?!?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just give me two more weeks MISTER.. and my TACKY TACKY jeans and flipflops will be out of your office... :rolleyes:

THANKS for letting me rant...

Queen of Poop
06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Sounds like harrassment to me. Only a couple more weeks, maybe less?

shihtzulover850
06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
that is crazy! huh! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cataholic
06-14-2006, 12:37 PM
What does your dress code state? I think Edwina's Secretary might be able to weigh in here. For the last 3 MONTHS of pregnancy, I wore 'flip flops' of sorts. They had the wide band across the top of the foot. They were the ONLY shoes I could get on my feet. I wore them in the office, into court, even during a trial. Not a single person said anything. It was understood that this was the best I could do- like a person that had foot surgery, and was not able to wear closed shoes.

As for the jeans, well, I would think you could wear a pair of stretch pants made of something other than denim? Even if that means you wear the same pants every day? I wore 2 pants and two skirts nearly the last 3 months.

I wonder who complained?

Samantha Puppy
06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Tell him you'll be happy to go buy some maternity khakis if he gives you a raise, effective immediately. Otherwise, tell him to blow it out his ass. :mad:

Jadapit
06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Good grief, that’s so ridiculous!! Your boss should try being 9 months pregnant he probably wouldn’t be able to make it out of bed to get to work. ;) I bet you are so ready to have this baby. I feel for you, with my first son I was two weeks late I was so miserable.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Is he BLIND or so??? :mad:
Good grief, those men have it easy: just create a baby, and then the women can do the rest (grow, deliver) :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
06-14-2006, 12:59 PM
AWWW Sara - the timing of this complaint is bad isn't it? I am sorry this happened. Very upsetting and it makes me angry with this person for waiting until you are about to pop to mention it at all...

But, maybe you can humor the manager and get by the remaining weeks with some different pants? Could you wear some ballet-type slippers in a neutral color? It won't be long now, though :)

((((HUGS))))

king2005
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Dang!!

At my old job they were VERY strict on dress code (to the point they would send you home!).. However when it came to a soon to be mother, they could wear whatever fit. If closed shoes no longer fit & you needed closed shoes for the job, they moved you to cashier & gave you a chair to sit on while serving customers. If you were getting cranky towards the end, they put you in the stockroom, doing simple duities, as sweeping, facing, counting stock, doing paperwork.. Soon to be mothers were treated like gold there & were never forced to do something they couldn't do.. People from Head Office always wanted to pop by to see the soon to be mothers & ooo & ahh over the big bellies :D I'd kick your boss *coughnutscough* until he changed his mind :mad:

Karen
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Some day, should you ever get to meet his mother, you can tell her how miserably obtuse her son has been at this stage of the game. Hey, you're dressed, and showing up! At this point, that's a victory. And it is not like you're a Rockette or anything!

critter crazy
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I have never heard of such a thing!!! dress code or no dress code, you be able to be comfortable in your condition!! MY goodnes what an ass!!!!!!! I think you need to show him how much hormmones affect pregnant women and go off on his attitude!!!

MsLadyLyn
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
What a pompous ass!!!! You should turn to him and say obviously you have never been pregnant with swollen feet, clothes you cannot get into, running to the restroom, and lets not mention all those danged hormones running amuck!! He must not be married or have children. He could ask his wife a few questions and she could go off on him!

lv4dogs
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Hope ully he just had a really bad day & didn't realise how he acted. Anyone with any common sense would understand someone in your position.

Rachel
06-14-2006, 06:29 PM
He should be ashamed of himself. He should have been asking what he could do to make your work situation a little more comfortable for you. If the clothing issue was really that important to him, he should have asked if there was any way he could help you secure a few items to get you through the rest of your pregnancy.

I would think that the jeans would be rather hot for you during this the summer weather. Do you have a Goodwill or other used clothing store nearby where you could pick up a few pieces of maternity clothing on the cheap? Not for him, but for your own comfort.

Sevaede
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Tell him you'll be happy to go buy some maternity khakis if he gives you a raise, effective immediately. Otherwise, tell him to blow it out his ass. :mad:

My sentiments exactly! :mad:

ramanth
06-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeesh Sara. What kind of job do you do?

My coworker, Marie, is 9 months pregnant and ready to pop any day. She wears flip flops to work and the bosses don't say anything. And she's teaching law students.

Sorry he's bothering you.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
The day I applied for my maternity uniform was the day my employers decided I was unfit for the job! Lost the tribunal but have a beautiful daughter - think the bigger picture

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=ramanth]Yeesh Sara. What kind of job do you do?
QUOTE]

I work in the shipping office at Nestle... *A WAREHOUSE*

I think our dresscode is a little bit too much... but I follow it.

thanks everyone for letting me know I wasn't *totally* overreacting.

You would think the crazy man would just be happy that I come in every morning at 5:30 and do my job two weeks away from my due date. Jeans or not... I'm here. :rolleyes:

Almita
06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
That is crazy? He seems blind that he can't see you are pregnant i agree he should give you a raise if you buy some maternatiy khakis. Or something cuz that is just plain crazy. Seems like a harrasment.

Muddy4paws
06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
He sounds like a pig.

No offence to pig though, Has he got kids? Im sure thats like discrimination of some kind? I mean I dont know much about working with pregnancy or anything but havent you got time off like maternity leave? I would seriously consider just dropping him in it and staying off and definatly making a complaint against him.. I think if i worked with someone who was pregnant I would definatly do all I could to make them comfy and I'm sure a customer seeing you in jeans would understand why when they see your tummy! ( No offence!! meant that in a nice way :p )

Do you deal with customers or is it just the work team you work with?

Lizzie
06-15-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know if you ever watched the TV series "Friends" but in one episode the character, Rachel, was past her due date and extremely uncomfortable in hot New York weather. She simply wore a skirt with the band under her bump and a top that ended before the bump. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get away with wearing something like that to make the LOUD statement that you are very, very pregant and can't follow all the conventions. You could stand next to his desk and rest the bump on it ;)

critter crazy
06-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't know if you ever watched the TV series "Friends" but in one episode the character, Rachel, was past her due date and extremely uncomfortable in hot New York weather. She simply wore a skirt with the band under her bump and a top that ended before the bump. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get away with wearing something like that to make the LOUD statement that you are very, very pregant and can't follow all the conventions. You could stand next to his desk and rest the bump on it ;)
If I was pregnant and someone was harrassing me about it, I would definitely do that!!!!!! awsome!!!!!:D

Pam
06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Sara I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I wish that men could even comprehend half of what goes on within a woman's body and mind when expecting. He should be thanking you for still working two weeks before your due date instead of being so critical about your dress. God help you if your water breaks at work. He would probably make you mop it up first before heading to the hospital! :p :eek: I know you just can't wait to have this little precious one *out of there* and we all can't wait either. When is your last day to work? Have you asked your mom or a friend/family member to fill us in when labor starts? If not, please borrow a lap tap and post from the labor room! :eek: Just kidding! :p :p :p

Riptide
06-15-2006, 06:14 PM
-shakes head- Men are so clueless. (most of them, anyway :p )

K9karen
06-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm a raving chocoholic. I love Nestles Crunch. But hell, we women have to stick together...I heretofore promise to BOYCOTT all Nestles' chocolates.
I totally agree with my fellow sisters. This man, who should be thanking you for getting your butt to work at dawn and putting in a full day....well. it's almost over and you will be richly rewarded. Enjoy your maternity leave!

mrspunkysmom
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
The day I applied for my maternity uniform was the day my employers decided I was unfit for the job! Lost the tribunal but have a beautiful daughter - think the bigger picture

I don't know what the laws in the UK are but we have maternity rights in the U.S. You may not get paid during your leave, but your job is protected for so many weeks and you cannot be fired for being pregnant (for most jobs). I think those that are too dangerous for a pregnant woman say so in the contract. As a matter of fact, we are required to tell the boss if we get pregnant. It's a safety thing.

What type of work did you do? I guess trinual means you tried to appeal the decision?

Anne

Cataholic
06-16-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't know what the laws in the UK are but we have maternity rights in the U.S. You may not get paid during your leave, but your job is protected for so many weeks and you cannot be fired for being pregnant (for most jobs). I think those that are too dangerous for a pregnant woman say so in the contract. As a matter of fact, we are required to tell the boss if we get pregnant. It's a safety thing.

What type of work did you do? I guess trinual means you tried to appeal the decision?

Anne

We do not have 'maternity rights' here in this country. While there is a federal law (FMLA), it is limited in its application to employers. In the States, it is a company by company decision, spelled out, usually, in the employee handbook.

You cannot be fired for being pregnant, nor for any other discriminatory based reason. However, that is F-A-R from having 'maternity rights'. :(

moosmom
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Puppy
Tell him you'll be happy to go buy some maternity khakis if he gives you a raise, effective immediately. Otherwise, tell him to blow it out his ass.

AMEN to that!!! What a jerk!

Dorothy39
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
2 more weeks??

I didn't check the date on your post. Other than that, I feel all above posts are wonderful, especially the one quoted. :p

Don't sweat over this Dear, trust me, I've been in your "flip flops". This fella needs a pail of water thrown in his face big time.

Never mind him, take care of yourself till the little angel from Heaven comes via the stork. & Congratulations on being "Mother of the Day"

CountryWolf07
06-16-2006, 01:26 PM

LOL omg.. that'd be a good getback at the boss.. honestly. ;) Honestly though? I'm sorry your boss is being a jerk. Obviously, he has no clue what it's like to carry a child! (I don't either, but.... I am a woman)

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Have you asked your mom or a friend/family member to fill us in when labor starts? If not, please borrow a lap tap and post from the labor room! :eek: Just kidding! :p :p :p

yes...! I have Johanna's phone number (cataholic) in my purse... so she can keep you guys updated.

I am here at work again... Every morning i wake up thinking WHAT AM I DOING... but I suppose If I didn't come to work I would just be sitting around the house with nothing to do but think about waiting for something to happen.....

Thanks again for the support.... I absolutely can not wait to not be pregnant and fit into "normal" clothes again. All the maternity clothes I bought no longer fit... and I am just NOT going to buy any more with only two weeks to go..... I have been buying t-shirts and lounge pants that I can use after I have to baby too.

I have to keep wearing flip flops to work... He has seen me since his original comment... and hasn't said anything else. Im not real sure that the flip flops bothered him... I mainly think it was the jeans. Either way... I'M HERE :rolleyes: flip floppin in my maternity jeans... ;)

AND yes.. this man does have children. He came out of serving years in the military... so I don't expect much sympathy from him... but at the same time.. I hope he really doesn't expect me to sympathise over his plight to enforce the dress code to a 9.5 month pregnant woman ... :p

Pam
06-17-2006, 05:41 AM
yes...! I have Johanna's phone number (cataholic) in my purse... so she can keep you guys updated.

Good thinking! Johanna if it is a cell phone, please do keep yours charged and in good working order! :p :D

I'M HERE flip floppin in my maternity jeans...
I love this line! Your sense of humor will get you through! ;)
Sara, you are in the home stretch. I remember my first pregnancy and I was dealing with the summer heat as you are (son was born on July 16th) and it was no fun and I was not even working at that point.....just sitting around the house with my big belly. :p

I just noticed your ticker is about as far along as it can go. :D Can't wait until that little guy is born and you are on maternity leave. Prayers going up for a safe, easy delivery and healthy little boy. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-17-2006, 05:46 AM
my big belly. :p

AMEN BIG BELLY!! I am sooooo tired of people asking me if i am having twins... :eek:

I've been told / asked things I would NEVER ask / tell a pregnant woman.

Yes my ticker is about to expire... You know in the cartoons when it would get really hot outside and the thermometer would swell really big untill it exploded.. that is my ticker..

I think everyone has had their baby now right?? .... I need to have a talk with my body ... and tell it that it needs to "chiop chop" ;)

Suki Wingy
06-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Eat some hot wings! My mom was 2 weeks late with my sister but the day she ate some really hot chcken wings Isabel decided to pop out! :p

cyber-sibes
06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
You would think the crazy man would just be happy that I come in every morning at 5:30 and do my job two weeks away from my due date. Jeans or not... I'm here. :rolleyes:That's what I was thinking! Face it, guys just don't get it. :rolleyes:
I truly hope your delivery goes well. It's really true - within minutes you forget all the discomfort, when you look at your beautiful baby! :)

Aspen and Misty
06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Yes my ticker is about to expire...

I love your ticker's saying though! It's REALLY cute.

I hope your delivery is fast and smooth (when it finally happens ;) )

I wish we could tell your boss what we think of him! What a jerk!

Ashley

Samantha Puppy
06-18-2006, 09:09 AM
I've been told / asked things I would NEVER ask / tell a pregnant woman.

I hear you on that one. I was opposite, I was tiny, so people would either tell me I wasn't pregnant OR they'd ask if I was, how far along I was, and upon hearing 7-8-9 months, they'd ask me if something was wrong with the baby because it was just too small. :mad:

That, and everyone woman who ever had a problem during their pregnancy, during labor or afterwards feels the need to tell you - in detail. As if you aren't scared enough.

catnapper
06-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Would it help if we sent you some of Ashley's pants? She has a nice pair of white capris. Can you wear capris? Maybe they'd get there in time?

Hang in there!