PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else who cannot stand the summer heat?

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
It's the first heatwave of the year over here, and I'm already tired of it.

I cannot help it, but I just cannot stand these high temperatures (and the humidity that comes with them most of the time), it really makes me sick.

It makes me dizzy, tired, nauseaus, weak, and gives me the feeling to pass out the next second. The worst thing is the lack of oxygen in the air, seems there isn't enough to make my brain work. In fact, it feels as if my brain is boiling. The weather really feels life-threatening to me, and I'm close to a sort of claustrophobic state.

As I have to avoid the sun, I stay inside as much as possible, but even there it's unbereable. We don't have air conditioning here (and if I had, I couldn't let it run because energy is so expensive here). Right now, it's 27°C (80°F) here in my rooms, and the air is far away from being fresh and clear. They have predicted thunderstorms and rain for today, but so far, there are none.

LOL; guess I'm a freak here, as everyone I know was greedy for the summer to come, and everyone claims to enjoy the weather (of course they are also complaining about the heat, but still they say they love the summer - weird).

Well, I don't enjoy it at all. I hate how it makes me feel, I hate the risk of food poisoning, and Luna and Lily are suffering also. For two nights now, I have to lock them in the kitties' room because I have to open the windows wide, otherwise I would die from the heat and humidity in here at night. Poor girls.

Well, this is just the beginning of the hot season, and I'm already ready for the fall.

Is anyone else here who hates these temperatures as much as I do? Anyone else who's suffering from the heat? Or are you all enjoying the summer?

Kirsten

Jadapit
06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
It's been almost 100 here, its killing me. ;) We dont have to much humidity here in Colorado. I dont think I would make it if we did. When I was young I loved the heat, not anymore though. ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
You are not alone. I like it warm but cannot take the heat

catnapper
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
I hate the summer. There's nothing to enjoy about it. I get sad when spring arrives because I know summer is right behind it.

Its 79 degrees today and high humidity. We're also predicting major thunderstorms tonight that should reduce the heat a bit. I actually did contemplate putting on the air conditioners -- I don't care about he cost right now! When I'm hot and uncomfortable, I'd pay a thousand bucks for cool, humidity free environment. It would be worth every penny. :p

slick
06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
**raises hands**
Me, me. Believe me, we don't get the heat that some of you do but when the temperature rises above 75 degrees I'm miserable. I can't eat that much (which certainly is not a bad thing... :rolleyes: ), I can't sleep and it affects my work.

My office at work is kept at 68-69 degrees and I love it. Everyone else says it's too cold but it's just right for me.

My two favourite months are May and September.

Riptide
06-14-2006, 09:31 AM
-pants- Can't wait 'till July...-sarcasm- It gets up to 120 degrees F. out here in the desert, lol.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm right there with you, Kirsten. Here in Chicago we get a lot of humidity also, and the high heat mixed with the high humidity is just awful. So far we've been lucky and it's been relatively cool, and even though it warms up to about 80 during the day, it's been cooling off into the low 50s at night, and that's just perfect! However, this weekend we're supposed to get back up into the 90s with the high humidity again - ugh!

I have been in Palm Desert, CA when it was 105 degrees with about 14% humidity. I have to admit that the dry heat was not near as sapping as the humid heat.

elizabethann
06-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I love it. I just think about NH winters and how much I moan & complain when I have to walk the dog in zero degree temperatures. :D

Maresche
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Nope, I can't stand the heat. Once it hits 80 degrees, I become useless. I can only get the essentials done and that's barely.

In fact, getting central AC was one of my conditions to starting a family. ...I'm not spending a summer pregnant without AC...

christa
06-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I usually LOVE the heat but not this year. I'm on a new medicine for my migraines and a side effect causes me to be more sensitive to the sun. I basically get too hot too fast and just can't stand it! My skin gets blood red and I have to go cool off . . . kinda stinks but I figure that it will at least keep me protected from the bad rays this year! I don't need 'em anyway. So I've been staying cool inside with the AC cranked up! :D

Lizzie
06-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I used to enjoy the sun when I was younger, but never the humidity which always makes me feel as though I'm suffocating.

We've been pretty lucky so far in the Seattle area, though we've had some warm and wet days that make you feel as though you are living in a sauna. I work in an air-conditioned building and never take any time off between July 5 and late September, that's our summer here. Seattlites are famous, or infamous, for walking through 50 degree weather and rain in their shorts and sandles, and then getting extremely testy as soon as the temperature gets into the eighties. That's when our crime and accident rates go up, and production down.

As things have changed this past year in my cat-ruled household, this summer will be easier in some ways and harder in others. I won't be able to leave the deck doors open after sunset because my FIV+ cats can't have rabies shots and I have bats in the garden. However, I can now leave the door to my daylight basement open and we can all go down there when it gets too hot on the main floor. It's earth-bermed on three sides and never gets warmer than the low seventies down there.

I'm going to make you envious by saying that I'm wearing cord trousers and a velour top at work today, because it's only in the sixties in the building, and I'm looking out at cloudy skies and wind tossed pine trees. I keep a summer dress in my office so I can change to go outside when it does get warmer!

slick
06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Seattlites are famous, or infamous, for walking through 50 degree weather and rain in their shorts and sandles, and then getting extremely testy as soon as the temperature gets into the eighties.
The very same holds true for Vancouverites. Our weather is the same as yours and yes.....I wear shorts all year round, even in the dead of winter.

lv4dogs
06-14-2006, 10:23 AM
i like it warm, don't get me wrong, but once it gets over about 85F or so it begins to be a little much for me, especially with all the humidity we get up here.

I love spring & fall!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2006, 10:36 AM
You are exactly like me Kirsten! I cannot stand the heat at all, allergic to the sun too! I like a nice sunny day, but with reasonable temperatures :(
Nope, summer is NOT my favorite time of the year!!

Corinna
06-14-2006, 10:39 AM
If it gets over 76 farinhight I melt.

Queen of Poop
06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I wish we had some heat. It's been cloudy and rainy for days on end. We had 2 thunderstorms last night and a ton of rain. The thunder kept Sasha up in a panic, not much sleeping in our house, not from the heat, from my poor doggie being frightened.

Too much heat/humidity can be completely oppressive and I sympathize with you all who have to experience that. Come to Calgary for a visit, it's not that hot/humid here!!!

davidpizzica
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not partial to the heat and humidity. Unfornuately I have an outside job where I have to work in it. (groundskeeper on a golf course). I nake sure I take rests and drink plenty of water. I don't like it, but I'm used to being out and working outside in it.

ParNone
06-14-2006, 10:53 AM
80 degree weather is pleasantly spring-like to me. We're actually having a mild summer so far, low 90s. We could use some rain, but since I hate cold, no complaints about the hot blazing sun from me. Just hang out in the shade with a icy cold glass of Lemonade, doing nothing but relaxing and maybe chatting with some friends. That's the life. :) If I didn't have A/C though, to get relief, I'm sure I'd have a different attitude about summer and heat.

Par...

Kfamr
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Try living in Florida!

Hot and humid, almost year round!

sirrahbed
06-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I am sooo with you Kirsten and others who do not tolerate the heat.

Thankfully, we do have A/C and I have used it many days so far.

Heat makes me feel physically ill, nauseated, dizzy and weak. I do gardening and lawnwork in the morning and only when the weather is cool. My body thermostat seems to feel too hot when the temp is over 80 degrees and of course, humidity makes it much worse.

Kirsten I am so sorry that you do not have A/C and have to tolerate this heat. It is so hard to sleep when you are feeling so hot. Can you go to places like the library, stores etc and enjoy the cool air?

k9krazee
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I love the heat!!!! You can send some over here, its been high 60's the past week and its driving me crazy...I want it HOT!

finn's mom
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I love summertime. If I didn't drink ten bottles of water a day, though, I'd be miserable. I lived in Germany and remember having no air conditioning, though, and, hated that. Have you thought about getting air purifiers and/or dehumidifiers? From what I understand, they don't use a lot of power to run. That might help with the air inside your home. Or using a vacuum with a HEPA filter, I know that has helped me. But, yeah, I just drink tons of water, dress in as little as humanly possible (and, socially acceptable ;)), and, put on the sunscreen. Being on the lake is a favorite pasttime, and, it feels great out there! It's not as hot, yet, here, as it will be soon, but, I'm sure I'll manage. To everyone who is really badly affected by the heat, stay safe and be careful!

that being said, i'd still rather be in south carolina than texas. ;) the summers are definitely easier there!

luvofallhorses
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I love it. :o except when I go to bed at night and it's humid as all get out in my room. :rolleyes:

the reason I love it is, because I hate the cold here (I live in Montana) and we might as well enjoy the nice weather in the spring & summer, right? ;) that's why I love the heat. you probably think I am crazy! :p

caseysmom
06-14-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't like it at all. I guess I live in the wrong state :rolleyes: Actually it is just hotter than heck 3 months out of the year and the last few weeks have been unseasonably nice.

I make runs for the ocean whenever I can during the summer months. The A/C bill is close to $400 a month during the summer so I try not to run it all the time but I hate being hot.

kuhio98
06-14-2006, 11:47 AM
**raises hands**
Me, me. Believe me, we don't get the heat that some of you do but when the temperature rises above 75 degrees I'm miserable. I can't eat that much (which certainly is not a bad thing... :rolleyes: ), I can't sleep and it affects my work.

My office at work is kept at 68-69 degrees and I love it. Everyone else says it's too cold but it's just right for me.

My two favourite months are May and September.Got my hands raised too! I have a fan going in my office 12 months out of the year. My co-workers say it's cool enough to "hang meat" in my office. They're from Houston and are always cold.

Sonia59
06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I like warmth very much but the problem is humidity. In Northern Europe, 30 degrees C (as we had yesterday) is totally different from 30 degrees in Spain! Here it is not pleasant at all :(
We had some thunder last night, and today is grey, rainy and 20 degrees! What a difference in one night.

mruffruff
06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Kari wishes she was back in South Carolina and I wish I was back in Michigan. I moved to South Carolina to escape the snowstorms and freezing winters. Now I feel like I'm trapped under a wet blanket! :rolleyes:

I work in a warehouse with no windows and a flat black roof. Even with central air and an auxillary ac unit running, it can get up to 85 inside. Not much gets done. Home has central air and I enjoy it thoroughly! As long as I can pay the bill, I want to be comfortable. The bill is around $200 a month.

Early spring and late fall are beautiful here. I can live without snow, so I'll suffer through the heat and humidity for a few months.

PinkSunshine
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Yup! It's been in the high 90's here as well and I just can't handle it. I don't even want to leave my house when it's that hot out. I'm almost 6 months pregnant so this heat is just draining me :mad:

Suki Wingy
06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Try living in Florida!

Hot and humid, almost year round!
Ugh, my 5 day vacation to Disney was ENOUGH! The humidity just kills me, puts me in a terrible mood too.

shihtzulover850
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
it is very dreary and rainy here. it is also cool and fresh outside I actually like the heat somewhat. as long as I am not in it....

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow, I'm surprised how many here have these problems!

It's true, it's the humidity that's worst (today it's extreme here, and the thunderstorms didn't come). It makes me feel as if somebody put a wet towel over my face, as if I'm suffocating.

Well, I guess I could drive to a pool or lake, but don't have the engery. Besides, my car doesn't have a/c either, so driving is no fun when it's hot. But I'm having a cool shower several times a day, it gives me some relief, at least for 15 minutes or so. I especially need some coolness around my head and neck, so I often put my head under the faucet.

Kirsten

sirrahbed
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
oh - just thought of something I used to do at our last base with no A/C. I would keep a spray bottle of water (mister) in the fridge and use it to spray my face and neck. Feels GOOD :) A cold cloth around the neck is also good for cooling your body.

zoomer
06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I can't STAND it! Esspecially with school!

jackie
06-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I love the heat. I can't get enough!

Yeah for summer!!!

Uabassoon
06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I hate Tucson summers. It's 106 right now (41.1 C). Right now the air condition in my truck isn't working and I can't afford to get it fixed. I only drive too and from work because it's just too hot to go anywhere else. At night it's cooler so I try to run my errands when the sun goes down. I've been needing to go to the bank for a few days now but I still haven't gone because I don't want to deal with driving in my hot truck!

Randi
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Now, if only we had the energy to do the raindance!! ;) I'm melting here!

Argranade
06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I dont mind the heat at all I mean it can get REALY hot sometimes but thats when you go to the pool or start a water gun fight with bomb ballons. :D

Even without that water fun I just climb tree's and hang in the shade and look at bird nests oh ya and give the wild birds plenty of drinking water they'll all need it more than me. :)

KitCat
06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
South Florida only has a couple cool days a year. Drinking a lot of water helps. If I have to work in the yard, I wet my hair in the shower and work in the shady areas as the sun moves. Every time I take a break, I drink a bottle of water. Otherwise you get "heat sickness" with headaches that can last for the rest of the day.

Catsnclay
06-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I have been in Palm Desert, CA when it was 105 degrees with about 14% humidity. I have to admit that the dry heat was not near as sapping as the humid heat.

Oh Debbie, Debbie, Debbie.....now that you are about to move here (AZ) you too will probably enjoy the summer until it REALLY is summer. :eek:

This week, for instance, the temp's are above normal (normal is 104-ish) and today should be 111, but......the humidity is only 3-6% so while it is not sweaty, sticky hot, it is oven broiling hot! In other words, set your oven to "broil" and then go sit in there, yep just a tad bit warm :rolleyes:

But don't worry, you will just LOVE our winters! THAT is why we live here. :D

Lizzie
06-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I remember visiting my in-laws in Phoenix, AZ in July and going to bed in tears because it didn't cool down at night. All day long, I'd suffered from the intense heat and longed for evening. But when evening came, it simply dropped into the 90's. I had lived in other warm places in summer time - Greece, southern Spain, South of France, but nothing compared with the intensity of Arizona summer heat. My brother-in-law used to work construction in college vacations and would cook his lunch, literally, on the top of his truck simply by letting the sun do its work.

dogzr#1
06-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Bleh! I don't like the heat at all! Right now it's 6:30pm and the temperature is 97* with humidity at 33%. It feels gross! I really can't wait until winter! For those of you who think 80* is hot, you'll probably wouldn't even stand our winters!