PDA

View Full Version : Why is the kitten suckling?

Sevaede
06-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Just in case, I have attached pics. Soni is the tux, Isis is the Siamese/Ragdoll, and T.L. is the grey (foster).

It took almost no time at all for the older two (Isis and Soni) to adapt to T.L. Almost a couple of days. Now it's been what five or six weeks plus? Heh, anyways, onto the topic.

Isis and Soni have been spotted simultaneously cuddling and bathing Tiger Lily, with Isis on one side and Soni on the other. A couple of minutes ago, I walked into the bathroom and there was T.L. suckling on Isis while Isis was grooming her. What is the deal? Isis is not spayed (working on the required vaccs, first.) but she is not pregnant and never has been. So, what's up?

Also, I keep bringing in one of Rasputins babies, Sweet Pea, and if I don't hold him or I leave the room for a second he cries something fierce. Sometimes he will make a random distress call if I'm switching my seating arrangement. Isis will only have her conversations with me. However, whenever Sweet Pea cries Isis runs towards him, meows back and forth with him, and whatnot. A couple of times, she has grabbed Sweet Pea up (as a mama cat would) and taken him away, cuddle, and groomed him.

Lastly, Rasputins babies are about four weeks old. They are very tiny (She had a rather large litter for her size). What I've been getting really concerned about is the fact that Magic (the only all black baby) and Sweet Pea are VERY shaky when they are standing up, walking, and generally anything while they are on their feet. It seems like they have a hard time being on their feet at all.

Wow, that was long. Thank you for reading. Any suggestions?

catmandu
06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
There Is A Strong Feeling Towards Kittens In Almost All Cats, And Even Cats Who Are Not Pregnant, Will Come Over And Help To Comfort The Little Ones.
Moose let Scrappy Nurse On Him, And His Mighty Purrr Made Scrappy 2 Feel A Lot Better.
Concatulations, And Great Luck With Your Companions.

Sevaede
06-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Ah, okay. Thank you. :)

Isis is definitely a mothering type. She is indifferent towards Soni (in public, during the day time) at this point in time, though. She *adores* T.L. though.

rosethecopycat
06-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Kittens will nurse on just about anything, even other kittens.

:)

mrspunkysmom
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
My mom had a cat long ago that nursed well into adulthood. She had a wool blanket that had "puffs' or "poms" at each juncture. He would suckle on each set, making it so stiff it would stand straight up.

I've seen one other cat do this to some of the blankets.

WE never could stop it and considered it part and parcel of having a cat.

Anne

Sevaede
06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
My mom had a cat long ago that nursed well into adulthood. She had a wool blanket that had "puffs' or "poms" at each juncture. He would suckle on each set, making it so stiff it would stand straight up.

I've seen one other cat do this to some of the blankets.

WE never could stop it and considered it part and parcel of having a cat.

Anne

My husband and mys first cat did that. He suckled as long as he was alive (which wasn't very long, unfortunately).

I don't care if Lily does it as long as it is not causing any harm to her or Isis.