PDA

View Full Version : What is it called... castrate/sterealize/spay/neuter?

Ann
05-12-2002, 02:17 PM
In Sweden when a female cat is fixed we call it "sterealize". When a male cat is fixed we call it "castrate". But I never see any of the people here use those words, but instead "neuter" and "spay" is used quite frequently.

So now here is my question; does those two Swedish names for this not exist in the English language? And which is which?: Is spay for male cats or female cats? Neuter for female or male?

Thanks! :)

Former User
05-12-2002, 02:23 PM
In Finland those words are exactly the same as in Sweden, but in Finnish of course.
Little lesson in Finnish then:
sterealize=sterilisaatio
castrate=kastraatio

As far as I know, neutering is for males and spaying for females...

Ann
05-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the Finnish lesson Niina (it's funny how much different Finnish is from the other Scandinavian languages!). The only words I know in Finnish (besides these you just taught me :D) is "yksi" and "kaksi" (I probably spelled them totally wrong though) which means one and two (I think atleast!).

Thanks for explaining too :)

Karen
05-12-2002, 02:32 PM
In American Eglish it's always "Spay" for females and "Neuter" for boys, but sometimes "neutered" or "fixed" is used for either gender. My family tends to use "fixed" - my big brother, for example, called me one day and said, "Well, Nilla's gonna get "fixed" tomorrow, poor thing doesn't even know he's broken!"

Former User
05-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Ann, you got them right, way to go! (the numbers I mean) :D

05-12-2002, 03:05 PM
:D here we just call it "gecastreerd"
my son however had a much better expressing for the males :
in Dutch :"hij is zijn klokkenspel kwijt"

translation : he has lost his carillon !!!!(peal of bells)

hahaha , LOL !!!:rolleyes: :eek: :)

Former User
05-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by lut

my son however had a much better expressing for the males :
in Dutch :"hij is zijn klokkenspel kwijt"

http://www.smilies.nl/laugh.gif http://www.smilies.nl/laugh.gif http://www.smilies.nl/laugh.gif http://www.smilies.nl/laugh.gif

wayne0214
05-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Is there a technical difference between castration and neutering? I have only heard the term "neutered" when dealing with household pets.:confused:

Concerning origins of languages, Finnish is of a Uralian origin, being indigenous from northern Russia, and Sweedish is of Indo-European origin being related to the Germanic languages, which originally came from the Crimea reigion, around the Black Sea.

..........wayne

wayne0214
05-12-2002, 07:26 PM
OK, that is what I thought the difference was, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the verification.

.........wayne

AmberLee
05-12-2002, 10:42 PM
:o :o Okay, naive question at you more knowledgeable types: if boy cats just get a vasectomy what/how/why do they lose interest in pursueing females in heat? A major factor in my decision to neuter Cassy and Sassy was that they would be less easily enticed from home by fascinating female odors on the breeze. ???

Why would a vasectomy decrease the odds of cancer (small decrease, but...) in males?

:confused: :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
05-13-2002, 09:44 AM
Amberlee, that is a good question. A vasectomy does not affect sex drive. And then why not a tubal ligation for girl kitties?

My brother and his wife are both veternarians. I have helped my brother sterilize both cats and dogs, male and female. It has been awhile but the males were castrated and the uterus removed from the female.

Certainly, in terms of ease of operation, castration is faster and easier than vasectomy. (If you've been around farms/ranches you know just how fast and easy castration can be done!) Whereas, to find what must be the fairly small vas to snip....well, I assume it to be more difficult.

I'll ask my sister-in-law. It may take a bit to get a response and I'm out of town later this week but will let you know when I can.

(Purrley -- if you're around -- I'll be in Salt Lake City!)

Freckles
05-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Freckles was recently microchipped and I received the AVID confirmation. Under Pet information, the simple question was: Fixed?
Answer, Y.

Heather Wallace
05-13-2002, 05:04 PM
I would call it spayed for girl and neuter for a male, but we know what you mean if you say fixed sterilised etc.