PDA

View Full Version : What happens...

Lachesis
05-12-2002, 01:47 PM
besides a cat getting pg or getting a cat pg if you dont spay right away?? My coworker was telling me it made their coats tougher??? anyone hear this?

Heather Wallace
05-12-2002, 02:12 PM
No I haven't heard that one, I think it also helps their general overall health.

05-12-2002, 02:57 PM
:confused: :rolleyes:

Sorry , but what is getting a cat "PG" ?????

Former User
05-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Lut, as far as I understand, she means "pregnant"...Correct me Rachel if I'm wrong.

05-12-2002, 03:19 PM
no I understand why Sydney loses so much furr !!!!
LOL LOL LOL !!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
05-12-2002, 07:35 PM
I haven't heard of that either. Sorry I can't be of more help.:(

yorkster
05-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Getting a cat spayed, lowers the chance of cancer later in life, I know. I am sure there are many other health reasons as well.
Not to mention that a female cat in heat is not pleasant, so there would be no reason not to spay her unles you want kittens.........and why would you? :confused:

lynnestankard
05-13-2002, 11:24 AM
No Rachel I've never heard of spayed cats developing coarse fur - all ours have always retained their softness.:D :D

Lynne

moosmom
05-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Spaying a female will prevent Pyometria, which is an infection of the uterus that can kill the cat and any potential kittens should she get pregnant.

My munchkin cat Shorty had pyometria. The breeder refused to emergency spay her because she wanted her to have kittens. Shorty spent a week in the hospital with an I.V. drip running. She came home (I was fostering her at the time) and a week later the Pyometria came back. My vet did an emergency spay to save her life. The breeder (this is the one who kept Shorty in a cage the first year of her life till she came to live with me) had no use for her anymore because she couldn't produce babies, so she gave her to me. Hey, Shorty is the best thing that ever happened to me. She is now a happy little Munchkin with a tail that wags constantly, instead of this scared little creature who had no human contact and hid and cowered in corners.

Breeders like that really make me mad. :mad: :mad:

Lachesis
05-14-2002, 12:12 PM
I guess Im asking if you spay them later (say after 6 months of age) compared to earlier then 6 months....

Yes PG=pregnant :eek:

Out of all the boards Im on Ive never EVER heard this before...

wayne0214
05-15-2002, 08:00 AM
I have never heard about, nor seen this toughening of their skin or coat happen to any of my queens, whether they are spayed or not. I do not know where this kind of "information" comes from because it certainly isn't true.:)

Concerning spaying them, this should be done between the first 3 to 9months of age because most cats are sexually mature at about 9 months of age.

..........wayne

Lachesis
05-15-2002, 10:28 AM
One of my coworkers had a vet tell her... she knew the cat had been fixed later in life... by her coat....

AmberLee
05-15-2002, 01:43 PM
??? I've never heard of that... I do know Livvy was spayed at 7 months and her pelt is silky.

Lachesis
05-15-2002, 02:49 PM
I guess what she meant was the skin was tough... like when giving shots.... not the furr actually :)

K & L
05-15-2002, 04:41 PM
http://www.catsinternational.org/7_4.html

http://www.geocities.com/sevie.rm/SpayNeuter.html

Lachesis
05-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much for these links. I actually found the answer to another question.... :D