PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Big Ben (Steelers Quarterback)!

JenBKR
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Our beloved quarterback in Pittsburgh was in a motorcycle accident:

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

Steelers: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue, near the intersection with the 10th Street Bridge.

The accident happened around 11:30am.

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and seemed groggy.

She says he was bleeding from his head.

He has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition.

Please keep him in your thoughts!

Grace
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Prayers of course. And then there is this from NFL.com

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

It doesn't matter what the state of Pennsylvania says or doesn't say. There is such a thing as personal responsibility. One would think after seeing what happened to Kellen Winslow, Big Ben would take all safety precautions available.

JenBKR
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I totally agree - in fact I think his contract states that he has to wear a helmut. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear one!

Cataholic
06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Of course, I am sorry he is hurt.

BUT, why does there have to be a law to protect people like this? WHY???

mruffruff
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I hope he survives his injuries. My son was wearing his helmet when his cycle went out of control 19 years ago. He died at 21.

I cringe every time I see cyclists without helmets. I truly do understand the thrill of riding a motorcycle. I've done it myself several times. But I want a lot of protection between me and the road or other vehicles.

Cataholic
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
I hope he survives his injuries. My son was wearing his helmet when his cycle went out of control 19 years ago. He died at 21.

Mary, my deepest sympathies. :(

Grace
06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Update from USAToday -

He's in serious, but stable condition. In surgery right now. sustained a broken jaw, fractured left sinus cavity bone, lost a lot of teeth, knee injury, 9" laceration to the back of his head.

Many of those injuries would have been prevented or less severe if he had been wearing a helmet.

We bait and set our own traps.