PDA

View Full Version : I want to do something to help animals

zoomer
06-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know of anything I could do to help animals out? I was thinking about voulteering at the Humane Society but I don't think I'm below the age limit. I was going to voulenteer at a pet store at one point but it is all the way in Everett so I can't. Does anyone have any suggestions?

luvofallhorses
06-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I would volunteer at your local animal shelter/rescue. Every little bit helps. :)

I volunteer at my local animal shelter and LOVE it! :D It's very rewarding knowing that you made that animal's day! :D

you can look on http://www.petfinder.com go to shelter/rescue groups and pick your state and you can see if they are local or near you. :) good luck! :D

dab_20
06-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I would suggest volenteering at your local shelter! It's so much fun, and you really feel good at the end of the day. :)

Karen
06-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Ways to help even if you cannot volunteer at a shelter:

Make up Spay/Neuter awareness flyers, distribute them wherever you can leave or hand out flyers.

Go around your neighborhood, apartment building or place of worship and ask people to donate old blankets, quilts or towels. The blankets and quilts can be cut to size for cages at the shelter (blankets fold in half, so they're cushier), and towels can be donated as is to the shelter.

Ask people for old or no-longer loved stuffed animals, or toys their pets don't play with any more, donate these in a bunch to the shelter for pets who have nothing.

Make a poster and collect donations for shelter animals.

Take a wagon, go around the neighborhood and ask each house to donate a can of dog, cat or nonperishable people food, deliver to your local food pantry.

zoomer
06-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't know there was so much I could do!

AbbyMom
06-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Good for you for thinking about the animals!

Our shelter at PETsMART is always, always desperate for towels and bedding for the cages. Karen has an excellent idea to do a towel drive.

If you can sew a little, you can make squares out of old material that fit the cages and make the cats comfy. If you can sew a little more, you can make simple cat beds.

I see you have several dogs! Maybe you can offer to dog sit or dog walk for a dog rescue! Our local dog rescue brings the dogs into PETsMART on the weekends for showing. If you have something similar, I'm sure they would welcome help while the dogs are being shown!

Argranade
06-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Im only 16 but im doing lots of stuff to help animals well realy just birds lol.

Im trying out to start feeding baby birds at the toronto Humane Society the girl told me I have to be 18 but they realy could use some help with my exsperience with baby birds so hopefuly Ill get the job.

You could go to parks and streets looking for hurt birds and animals that need help then bring them to an animals wild life centre those critters would realy be helped out more if you looked for them I do it all the time they hide sometimes from being scared so you even have to walk in the bushes.

Also bringing in non used cages to wildlife centres would do the animals good and even some dog food bird seed cat food ect..

Well good luck with finding somthing. :)

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
yeah collect donations for the animal shelter!! :D