PDA

View Full Version : Do you speak a foreign language?

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Okay before anyone tells me this is a pet poll not a place for discussing other things... I know okay? I was just wondering how many people here speak a foreign language. A foreign Language is anything other than english. I personally speak some spanish. I understand a whole lot more than I can speak. Ironic yes but true! If you speak a lot not all of one just do yes. :) oh and post what language it is!

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
No, but, I'd love to learn as many as I possibly can. Latin, Greek, Spanish, French, German, Italian...tons more! Language has always fascinated me. I guess Spanish would be the smartest language for me to learn right now. ;) But, I've heard somewhere that you can learn Latin, you can learn anything. Not sure how true that is, but, it's what I remember hearing.

k9krazee
06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I took French for 3 years, and I absolutely love the language!

Oh, This is the perfect place for a poll, there are many non pet related polls here, its okay :)

.sarah
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
A foreign Language is anything other than english.Actually a foreign language is anything other than your native language ;) So someone on this board could have been raised speaking spanish, but now speak english perfectly fine and english would be the foreign language.

I speak a little french. My grandpa on my mom's side is full french, so I am 1/4 french. I took french for two years in high school and learned enough that I can pick up on what fluent speakers are saying and can reply, in very simple terms.

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I took French for 3 years!

Oh, This is the perfect place for a poll, there are many non pet related polls here, its okay :)

I was getting ready to edit my post with the same thing!

There are many polls in here, way before you joined, shihtzulover850, that have absolutely nothing to do with pets. It's completely fine to post polls. People are filling them out, so, obviously they're participating, so, you're doing something right. ;) I personally like them! So, thanks!

Oh, and, I took French and Spanish in high school, but, remember very little of either, unfortunately. :(

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
very true but it would be confusing for somebody to come on and say they speak english as a foreign language. english is foreign for my mom. you know.

Uabassoon
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I speak Spanish, I've known how to speak it since I was a kid. My parents brought me up speaking both English and Spanish.

critter crazy
06-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I speak some Spanish! I like Shitzulover850 understand more than I can speak! My father was mexican, so i picked up alot from his side of the family(when he was in my life) I have not used it alot in life, but there have been times it has come in handy. I spent some time in Honduras when I was in the military, and was appointed as Translator for my Unit. Talk about It all coming back to you! he he he!! I have also taught my 6yr old some spanish.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
oh my gosh my mom is from Honduras!!!! :D how cool

Husky_mom
06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
so........yo hablo español asi que mi lengua extranjera seria ingles, LOL

sorry my main language is spanish so my foreign one would be english, i also dont speak or write any other language per se, but i do understand french, german, portuguese, italian........if i read/hear them (not that much but still some)

saludos a aquellos que hablan español y felicidades pues dicen que es un idioma de los mas complicados..........bueno dicen.......a veces lo es para mi tambien :p

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
yeah spanish is is a lot like italian and portugese and stuff. that is cool :) i sort of understood what you wrote

lute
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
i took 6 weeks of french if that counts.lol

Randi
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
A foreign language is any language other than the one you speak in the country where you live. Is this poll only for english speaking members?

One question though ... what's the reason for setting this up in Pet Poll? Why not in General?

dogzr#1
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I speak Spanish, I've known how to speak it since I was a kid. My parents brought me up speaking both English and Spanish.

Same here, although I can't speak it well, I can understand it.

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Ah oui! Je parle français ! J'aime la langue et l'avais parlée pendant trois années.

Ich spreche auch Deutsches! Ich mag wirklich Deutsches, weil die Wörter so merkwürdig sind auszusprechen!

ego parvum Latinum scribere et dictare possum.

And of course I speak English too. I would like to teach myself Spanish, I had a CD which I used, but it was useless so I'll have to try something else;)

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 02:21 PM
A foreign language is any language other than the one you speak in the country where you live. Is this poll only for english speaking members?

One question though ... what's the reason for setting this up in Pet Poll? Why not in General?

I think what people think is that this section is for polls. There are many polls that aren't pet related in here, I don't remember it ever being just for pets. But, I haven't been around as long as some, either. I would think it would be more appropriate to put the poll in here than in general. Maybe that's what she was thinking when she posted it? And, again, if I was a new person, and, I looked in this section, I wouldn't think for a second that it was for pet polls only, despite the name of the section, just because of how many others aren't pet related. ;) I'm not answering for her, either, just putting my two cents in.

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 02:25 PM
But, I've heard somewhere that you can learn Latin, you can learn anything. Not sure how true that is, but, it's what I remember hearing.

ita vero! (that's yes in Latin)

I've been learning Latin for two years and absoloutely love it. Most of English comes from Latin, and by learning it, you come to learn how words were formed, about sentence structure, different tenses, pretty much every European language has been influenced by Latin. Certainly when I started Latin, French and English, and even German, became much easier to understand.:) I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 02:32 PM

yeah but since this a predominantly english website, I just thought it would be nice to see how many people didn't speak english. :) but you can put english as your foreign language if you want. :)

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

Completely agreed on that one, I love their history!

Pembroke_Corgi
06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, I speak Russian, but unfortunately I lose a bit more all the time since I don't speak it much right now. I know a small amount of French, and I would love to learn more...I think languages are fun, but I find it really hard to KNOW it unless I'm totally immersed in it.

JenBKR
06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I took French, Spanish, and German in school, but sorry to say that I don't remember a whole lot since I don't really use it. I remember more spanish than anything, but back in high school I could easily carry on a conversation in spanish and german. Those of you who are learning a foreign language now, use what you are learning a lot so you don't forget! It's so easy to forget after being out of school for a while and not using the languages at all.

shihtzulover850 I think something was said to you in another thread about posting non pet related polls here if I remember correctly? But don't worry, there are lots of threads here that have nothing to do with pets, so keep 'em coming! I enjoy your polls :)

sammy101
06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm taking German right now,all 4 years of Highschool.I'm not fluent but i know it well.I've also taken French and Spanish.

Karen
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I moved this to General, as that's where non-pet-related polls go!

Anyway, I speak a little French, and a few words of Spanish (courtesy Sesame Street and immigrant friends), and know a few words each in Swedish (I can count, and say snow and a few other things), Polish ... about three words in Mandarin Chinese ...

And I can say (or at least spell) "Merry Christmas" in many languages!

Argranade
06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I can speak a few words in yugaslavian and from my friend I know a bit of Turkish next I wanna learn OJIBWAY!!! :D :D

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM

I hope you're not planning to move all the non pet related polls over here, you'd be one busy woman! and, i can't say (or spell) Merry Christmas in many languages, but, I can say the alphabet in french and spanish! I think, anyway! hahahaha, i used to be able to, at least!

Kirsten
06-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Ich spreche Englisch als Fremdsprache, meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. Außerdem hatte ich fünf Jahre lang Französisch in der Schule, aber jetzt kann ich nicht mehr viel davon. Ich verstehe ein wenig Spanisch und Italienisch, und jetzt ich habe mir vorgenommen, demnächst Latein zu lernen.

LOL, did anyone here understand what I've written? ;) (That was German)

I speak English (more or less LOL) which is a foreign language for me (my native language is German). I also took French for five years at school, but I cannot speak it anymore (at least not very well). I understand a little bit Spanish and Italian, and I have plans to learn Latin now!

Does anyone here speak Latin?
Edit: I just saw that Miss Z does - how cool!! It's such an interesting language, and you can find the roots of so many other languages there! Absolutely fascinating! :D

Kirsten

Giselle
06-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I took French for 3 years, and I absolutely love the language!

Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

:D LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.

k9krazee
06-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

:D LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.

Oui!! And whoops :o that would be a typo on my part!

jackie
06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I need to speak Spanish and German for work, but don't consider myself fluent.

Anita Cholaine
06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Actually, the forgein language I speak is English! I'm from Argentina, so my language is Spanish ;)
I'd love to learn french too...

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Ich spreche Englisch als Fremdsprache, meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. Außerdem hatte ich fünf Jahre lang Französisch in der Schule, aber jetzt kann ich nicht mehr viel davon. Ich verstehe ein wenig Spanisch und Italienisch, und jetzt ich habe mir vorgenommen, demnächst Latein zu lernen.

Ja!

Edit: I just saw that Miss Z does - how cool!! It's such an interesting language, and you can find the roots of so many other languages there! Absolutely fascinating! :D

Kirsten

It is a brilliant language, even though it's not spoken anymore I would definitely learn it, speaking languages generally comes much easier once you have a firm grasp of Latin:)

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I only speak english...wish I could speak other languages also.

Roxyluvsme13
06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I can only speak english, and teensy basics in Spanish, German, and French.

Russian Blue
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I grew up in a household that spoke English, Finnish and some Gaelic. While in school I was required to take French for 4 years and I chose to take Latin in place of French in high school.

I can understand most French to get by but my Finnish has really suffered. I only know basic words and need my mother or sister to translate for me. I loved taking Latin in high school! We had a wonderful teacher but that was a long time ago and all I remember is: Ubi est canis? :D My cousin is a Latin instructor in New York and she would kill me right now because I have not kept up on that wonderful language. :o

dab_20
06-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I speak a little spanish and swedish.

Tralee
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Yo hablo español, y yo quiero aprender aleman. He hablando español por cuatro años. Yo pienso mi español es mal. Es muy difícil para recordar todos los tiempos. Yo necesito praticar más. En el año próximo, yo aprenderé ASL. ASL es una lengua muy intresante!

dab_20
06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Yo hablo español, y yo quiero aprender aleman. He hablando español por cuatro años. Yo pienso mi español es mal. Es muy difícil para recordar todos los tiempos. Yo necesito praticar más. En el año próximo, yo aprenderé ASL. ASL es una lengua muy intresante!

Impresive. :)

Tralee
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Gracias

I just had my spanish final today on all the tenses we have learned this year.

I was in Spanish 3 this year but I'm dropping it next year. I never really enjoyed spanish classes and didn't like getting C's and D's on all my tests and quizzes. I know enough Spanish to survive if I went to Spain or even Texas.

gemini9961
06-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I only speak English. I took 2 years of Spanish in HS and 1 year in college. I can understand a teeny bit and ask where the bathroom is. :p

Giselle
06-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Actually, the forgein language I speak is English! I'm from Argentina, so my language is Spanish ;)
I'd love to learn french too...
I hear french is much easier to learn if you know spanish because they both share boot verbs and as there are -er, -ir, -re, etc. verbs in french, there are -ar and similar verbs in spanish.

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I took Japanese for about a year (4th grade). I, also, took French during the beginning part of my freshman year in high school. Loved both!

rizzy
06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I am taking Spanish, I love it! Foreign languages are so much fun.

Suki Wingy
06-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I envy bilingual people and those who take to languages easily.
I'm bad with languages but I know almost fully 3 tences in Spanish, plus I'm pretty fluent with pronouns/DO/IOs. I love the language but I need to touch up on my vocab. It was difficult to learn that much but I have completed level 3 highschool plus a year of middle school. My middle school taught level 1 over 2 years. I'm much better in Engligh, I love grammar but hate spelling. (I know I'm weird) My mom calls me the Grammar Police. :)

Suki Wingy
06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
I just had my spanish final today on all the tenses we have learned this year.

I was in Spanish 3 this year but I'm dropping it next year. I never really enjoyed spanish classes and didn't like getting C's and D's on all my tests and quizzes. I know enough Spanish to survive if I went to Spain or even Texas.
Exact same as me. I am sad to not be taking it but it is just too darn hard to keep up with! Maybe if I go be an outrider (lead horse rider) at the racetrack I'll learn more and become fluent. I knew enough to have a pretty good conversation with the grooms at my old barn though.

Barbara
06-10-2006, 05:40 AM

I speak English (more or less LOL) which is a foreign language for me (my native language is German). I also took French for five years at school, but I cannot speak it anymore (at least not very well). I understand a little bit Spanish and Italian, and I have plans to learn Latin now!

Kirsten

Kirsten I understood ;)

I speak English (well it's up to you to decide whether I do ;)), French (have been married to a French for 7 years soem hundred years ago), Italian, can read Spanish and have forgotten all my Latin which I learned in school for 6 years - actually it was one of my favorite things in school together with mathematics- ok I admit I was a weird child ;)

I can say "I don't speak Greek" in Greek and introduce myself in Japanese :D

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 05:42 AM

Cool, I think I understand most of what you said! :)

I have learned Spanish for about half a year, many years ago, and I found it easier than French, but my talents for the French language were truly limited! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten
Edit: I just saw that Miss Z does - how cool!! It's such an interesting language, and you can find the roots of so many other languages there! Absolutely fascinating!

Kirsten

It is a brilliant language, even though it's not spoken anymore I would definitely learn it, speaking languages generally comes much easier once you have a firm grasp of Latin

Yes, that's true, I think. Recently I read a book called "Pope Joan", and there was a lot of Latin in it. I was able to understand a lot of it, as I recognized many words I know from English and French. Very interesting!

@Barbara:

Kirsten I understood ;)
LOL http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/sonstige/appl.gif

BTW, I have to admit that sometimes I have some problems with the Bavarian language! ;)

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
My native language is DUTCH! Anyone here who understands what I am saying here: Ik woon in Vlaanderen en hou zeer veel van poezen. Daarom ook ga ik zo graag naar Pet talk!!

At age 5 I learned French.
At age 13 I started to learn English. In fact I speak it MUCH better than French!!
At age 15 I started learning German. I used to speak it fluently, but since I almost never use it (exept on holidays), I have forgotten most of the vocabulary :(
At age 28 I started learning Spanish. I took 3 courses of 10 lessons.We were living in St.Louis USA then, so I followed this courses to keep busy, and because I love foreign languages.
I must admit I have forgotten ALL about it now, exept for a few words like mañana, melocoton, aqui.....

prechrswife
06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I speak a very small bit of Spanish. I was better when I was in high school, but I've lost most of it. I keep thinking I need to go back and learn again, as I think a lot of it would come back to me.

Like Karen, I also know a few words of Mandarin.

shihtzulover850
06-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Anyway, I speak a little French, and a few words of Spanish (courtesy Sesame Street and immigrant friends), and know a few words each in Swedish (I can count, and say snow and a few other things), Polish ... about three words in Mandarin Chinese ...

okay I was wondering where it went!! lol ;) :p

lizbud
06-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I studied Latin in high school & Spanish in college, so I can remember
a little of both. Also Gaelic. As a kid, my mom & grandma would sit for tea
in the kitchen & talk about "grownup stuff" when I was a kid. I had to learn
Gaelic to keep up on what was being said.I was a nosy little kid. :D

Zippy
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
no.i took spanish for a while and know a little but not much.

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I studied Latin in high school & Spanish in college, so I can remember
a little of both. Also Gaelic. As a kid, my mom & grandma would sit for tea
in the kitchen & talk about "grownup stuff" when I was a kid. I had to learn
Gaelic to keep up on what was being said.I was a nosy little kid. :D

I think Gaelic is a very interesting language, but it seems to be extremely difficult!

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-10-2006, 05:54 PM
I think Gaelic is a very interesting language, but it seems to be extremely difficult!

Kirsten
yes it does! i love how it sounds though :)

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow everyone here is so diverse! We speak so many different languages!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sonia59
06-14-2006, 08:07 AM
My native language is DUTCH! Anyone here who understands what I am saying here: Ik woon in Vlaanderen en hou zeer veel van poezen. Daarom ook ga ik zo graag naar Pet talk!!

Lut is saying that she lives in Flanders and that she loves cats very much. This is why she goes with great pleasure on PT! ;)

I speak a bit of Dutch but I understand it better than I can speak. I don't understand the Belgian Dutch so easily though (sorry Lut :o ), I understand people from The Netherlands better.

Ma langue natale est le francais et je pense parler l'anglais a peu pres correctement, a vous de juger ;)

Kirsten, I understood you too! :D I learned German as a second language (after English), but I forgot almost all due to lack of practice. And since I am now surrounded by Dutch people, I can't speak German at all, I am completely mixing up the two languages!

I learned Italian for one year. I can understand it when it's written but I can't speak. I also learned Latin for a couple of years, but I fogot it all.

sirrahbed
06-14-2006, 08:22 AM
I took two years of German in college - then we lived in Germany for three years and I was able to practice with friends and get around to travel, etc - but that was 20 years ago.

Last year, hubby and I attended a 3 hour long Amish preaching service which was in high German - and we were able to follow along quite well...I was surprised at how much stayed with me. :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I'm going on my 4th year of Latin (sure, it's a dead language, but it's also the root of so many other languages!!) and I know some Spanish.