PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of hunting?

Argranade
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Well for me I think its horrible but....

If you must hunt I think it should only be for food and using the HOLE animal or bird just like aboriginal's do they use the bones fur and the meat they dont just cut off the head or fur [Well at least the traditional ones that are not in it for the money].Ppl who do it just for the head or fur they got problems thats a horrible way for an animal do die it should only be ment for food not for a purse.

Ppl say its for sport or for fun that is the most stupid reason for hunting I have ever heard or better just stop hunting.

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm sortof all over the place with how I feel about hunting. I mean, I've gone fishing before, and, plan to again. Even if I don't keep the fish, I know the fish might die after I've hooked it and thrown it back in. Fishing is relaxing, even though I've only caught three maybe in my whole life. It's no different, really, then hunting deer for sport, so, I kind of feel hypocritical in that aspect. But, I don't have a problem with most hunting, if there's more to it than just mounting a trophy head or having the entire animal stuffed and displayed. If the animal is going to feed someone, I don't see a real issue with it. It's not really a lot different (in my opinion) in that aspect than raising livestock to be butchered for human consumption, and, I certainly eat my fair share of meat from livestock like chickens and cows. I do have a problem with hunting endangered species, and, I detest canned hunts. So, like I said, I'm sorta all over the place.

JenBKR
06-09-2006, 10:40 AM
My husband and most men in my family hunt. I see nothing wrong with it. We eat quite a bit of deer meat, and IMO it is more humane than commercial meat. I'm not into fur, or hunting just for sport, but if we didn't hunt deer we would be overrun with them.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
fishing doesn't strike me as cruel....... hunting does. the hunters say it is to keep the population of animals down but i don't know....... why kill a deer or anything just for fun???? I mean if you ask me deer meat doesn't taste good but that is just MO. but some people see it as fun so...... I mean some things sure can be killed that is the purpose and yes people can and do kill things but there is nothing fun about killing anything...... But imagine being a dear an innocent deer walking through the forest and then getting shot at. gee how nice! It is very confusing! :confused:

Argranade
06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Its like there are too many ppl on this earth destroying it what are we gona do start shooting humans!!? [Altho it has started] :rolleyes:

JenBKR
06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't want to start an arguement, just an opinion :) I understand where you are coming from, an innocent deer getting shot, but how many innocent deer get hit by cars every year? I have seen them hit by cars, not dead yet, dragging themselves off to die a slow death. And as I said before, it is much more humane than commercial meat.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't want to start an arguement, just an opinion :) I understand where you are coming from, an innocent deer getting shot, but how many innocent deer get hit by cars every year? I have seen them hit by cars, not dead yet, dragging themselves off to die a slow death. And as I said before, it is much more humane than commercial meat.
well see if this makes sense then plenty of dear die by getting hit by cars. and that was accident shooting one is not. but I thank you for standing up calmly for your opinion and not creating some big stir. :)

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I absolutely despise hunting and am SO glad it is banned over here now. The RSPCA is still working to get a complete ban on hunting with a shotgun too, and maybe when I am older I will help. I remember watching a programme about people who used to boycott fox-hunts. They took an undercover camera, and the things they had to go through, it was awful. Huntsmen beat them up, rode their horses at them, hit them with their riding whips... it goes on and on, and still these brave people continued to campaign against the hunt. I felt so angry and I would have loved to have helped those people. Chasing a fox, rabbit, deer or anything that has a heart beating inside, until it collapses with exhaustion and is ripped apart whilst still alive by dogs, purely for the pleasure of 'the jolly hunt' is sick and barbaric. How anyone can watch an animal die, whether for food or pleasure, is completely beyond me. I get very touchy on this subject.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
things aren't that bad here but still......

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
My answer was not listed as an option.

I do not hunt (hope to some day though) and I do not find anything wrong with it as long as you use the animal. I do not like people who hunt JUST for the sport of it.
I do fish though and keep the ones that I am able to eat as long as they are in season. I also do not like people who fish JUST for the sport of it.

Pedragon
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I hunt for the HOLE animal not just to kill or for fur.

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I hunt for the HOLE animal not just to kill or for fur.

Whole! :p

(should be spelled that way in the options too) lol

joanofark
06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
My husband and most men in my family hunt. I see nothing wrong with it. ........ I'm not into fur, or hunting just for sport, but if we didn't hunt deer we would be overrun with them.

I agree 100%!

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
My husband and most men in my family hunt. I see nothing wrong with it. We eat quite a bit of deer meat, and IMO it is more humane than commercial meat. I'm not into fur, or hunting just for sport, but if we didn't hunt deer we would be overrun with them.

I also agree. Seems as if the last few years they have been allowing more deer premits per person &/or extending the hunting season because there are just way too many deer here. (and believe it or not, in the areas I am speaking of no real major developement has happened in a long long time).

.sarah
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I find it ironic when people who eat meat from the grocery store find hunting cruel. Factory farms (where most grocery store meat is from) is often 100x more cruel than hunting, since hunters kill animals who have lived a natural life, while factory farms raise animals in less than perfect environments. I'm not saying that anyone here has claimed this since I don't know who is and isn't a vegetarian, but I'm just sayin' ;)

I don't find hunting cruel. Used to, but now that I have learned a bit more about it I don't. We would be overrun by certain animals (particularly deer) if it weren't for hunters. This in turn means there would be lack of food - animals would starve - if it weren't for people hunting. Also, since it is more humane than factory farming, I prefer for people to hunt their meat rather than getting it from the grocery store.

Now, hunting for sport or fur is cruel in my opinion. Killing for meat, well that's part of the food chain, but killing for any other reason is just dumb and inhumane.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
My answer was not listed as an option.

I do not hunt (hope to some day though) and I do not find anything wrong with it as long as you use the animal. I do not like people who hunt JUST for the sport of it.
I do fish though and keep the ones that I am able to eat as long as they are in season. I also do not like people who fish JUST for the sport of it.
fishing for sport is dumb. i guess I agree somewhat but it just isn't something that I like.

critter crazy
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
My Family Is Big on hunting! They use the whole animal! Around here there is and overabundance of deer around, and they are dying of disease and starvation. I feel that it is necessry, to hunt deer. If we didnt there would be many more deer hit by cars, dying of disease and or starving to death! I used to hunt, and still would if I hadnt gone blind in my right eye, it just makes me uncomfortable to hold a gun now. I feel that there is nothing wrong with hunting as long as it is for the right reasons!

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
things aren't that bad here but still......

I don't know if you have/had fox hunting where you are, but I'm pretty sure that happens in other countries that do:(

lute
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
i don't hunt. my dad is going turkey hunting later this year. i told him i'd like to see the bird, but i don't want to know all the details on how it died.

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
i don't hunt. my dad is going turkey hunting later this year. i told him i'd like to see the bird, but i don't want to know all the details on how it died.
lol i wouldn't want to either

JenBKR
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't know if you have/had fox hunting where you are, but I'm pretty sure that happens in other countries that do:(

There's no fox hunting around me that I know of, but it most likely happens over here, I just don't know about it. I am not a fan of fox hunting.

Chilli
06-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not fully against it, as long as they use ALL of the animal that they can.
I absolutely hate it when you see a dead deer in the woods whose just been killed for his horns/antlers. As long as the hunter uses as much of the animal as he can, then I don't have much of a problem with it.
I love target practicing with guns, but I'll never go hunting.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I think there's something weird about people who can find it enjoyable to watch something die and know that they killed it. I acidentally hit a bird with my car once and I cried my eyes out, I couldn't imagine actually aiming to kill something. That being said, I also don't eat meat. I have a big problem with certain animals being hunted- like bears and cougars, whose numbers are limited but they are not technically "endangered" so in most states it is legal to kill them. I know that many of them are picked off because livestock farmers have their own interests in mind, but wildlife also needs food and a place to live. We also wouldn't have such a huge overpopulation problem with deer if all their natural predators weren't hunted into near-extinction or driven away.

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I think there's something weird about people who can find it enjoyable to watch something die and know that they killed it. I acidentally hit a bird with my car once and I cried my eyes out, I couldn't imagine actually aiming to kill something. That being said, I also don't eat meat. I have a big problem with certain animals being hunted- like bears and cougars, whose numbers are limited but they are not technically "endangered" so in most states it is legal to kill them. I know that many of them are picked off because livestock farmers have their own interests in mind, but wildlife also needs food and a place to live. We also wouldn't have such a huge overpopulation problem with deer if all their natural predators weren't hunted into near-extinction or driven away.

Exactly.

Hares used to be very common in Britain. Since medieval times they have been hunted for food, and more recently 'to keep down the population'. That's pretty much the same reason my myxomatosis was introduced, to keep down the population of wild rabbits and hares, and I think in a way that is a form of hunting. Now it's quite unusual to see a hare. And the myxomatosis virus kills hundreds of pet rabbits each year:( And also, since many rabbits and hares were killed, the amount of predatory birds, such as red kites, fell dramatically. Why do some people feel the need to interfere with nature?

sammy101
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM

ditto.
I have friends who hunt but they use the whole animal.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Depends on what you're hunting and why...

If you're hunting a Wolf, Coyote, Bear, etc. I don't agree with it at all because those are animals people don't eat (atleast, I've never heard of it anyway). If you're hunting and taking home a few rabbits/hares, ducks, geese, etc. I don't have a problem with it if you're going to use all of the meat on the animal.

Karen
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I do not hunt deer, but do not see a problem with it, as it is a huge problem that we, the humans, have created. We hunted to near extinction all the white-tailed deer's natural predators - wolves are extremely rare back east (here), for example. I have seen deer, dying of starvation or dea by the side of the highway in upstate New York years ago. It is far less cruel to shoot a healthy animal and use its meat to feed people than to see the forest ecology destroyed, and the deer population slowly starving to death.

Glacier
06-09-2006, 04:06 PM
If you're hunting a Wolf, Coyote, Bear, etc. I don't agree with it at all because those are animals people don't eat (atleast, I've never heard of it anyway). .

Lots of people eat bear, at least up here. It's a dang hard meat to cook properly and cook improperly it's disgusting. Cooked right, it's not bad.

The only time I agree with hunting coyote & wolves is when they are direct threat to me and mine. The next wolf who tries to come into my yard and eat my dogs is a dead wolf.

My husband is a hunter. Wild game feeds my family--human and canine. I can't remember the last time we bought meat. We use everything from an animal. Stuart is Cree so he also does a traditionally ceremony to thank the animal for giving up it's life. We eat the meat, the dogs eat the bones and any scrap meat. My f-i-l is a carver. He turns the antler into beautiful art. We give the hides to a First Nation's elder who tans them, unless we want the leather. In that case we send it out to a tannery in Alberta. (that's where this year's bison hide is). I don't eat organ meat, but we know people who do so the liver, heart and kidneys get given to friends.

IMO, hunting done properly, is much more humane to the animal than a commericial feed lot. Ever been to a feed lot? The animals are terrified. They are packed practically on top of each other with no room to move. At least a hunted moose gets to spend it's life in it's natural surroundings; they aren't fed steriods to get more meat faster; if the hunter is a good shot(and you shouldn't be hunting if you aren't), the animal dies quickly and relatively painlessly.

It is illegal in the Yukon to use a dog or other animal to assist in hunting. A lab can go retrieve a bird, but chasing a fox, ect is illegal. You can actually get a fine if you're just walking your dog and it decides to chase a moose(a bad idea and potentially fatal for the dog in any case). "Harassing wildlife" or "allowing an animal to harass wildlife" can lead to pretty serious punishment.

Vela
06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I do not hunt deer, but do not see a problem with it, as it is a huge problem that we, the humans, have created. We hunted to near extinction all the white-tailed deer's natural predators - wolves are extremely rare back east (here), for example. I have seen deer, dying of starvation or dea by the side of the highway in upstate New York years ago. It is far less cruel to shoot a healthy animal and use its meat to feed people than to see the forest ecology destroyed, and the deer population slowly starving to death.

Very well put. I agree with that. Whether it was wrong or not to kill off the natural predators, we can't change that at this point and the deer would all die of starvation if they weren't kept down in numbers by hunting. Since man has destroyed most of the natural predators for the deer population, we have to take its place or it messes everything else up too. I couldn't do it myself, but I don't mind if people do, providing they aren't doing it just to kill something, which to me is kinda sick of a person to want to do.

Lobodeb
06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I voted that I dislike it, but in truth, I dislike when it's done improperly. I totally despise bow hunting as I think you'd have to be an expert marksman to kill the animal instantly. I think the chances of the animal suffering are pretty high. I also don't like the idea of hitting an animal in the leg to wound it, chase it down as the poor thing is running for its life. But, as Glacier so eloquently put, if done properly, can be a huge blessing, especially when the whole animal is used.

I too, despise canned hunts, poaching and the like.

Rio and Me
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm just going to say my opinion!
I agree with hunting if the animal is going to be used, is not endangered and if it is dont correctly!
I dont agree if it is just for fun, if you have no idea about what you are doing!
I have gone fox hunting on horseback with foxhounds, the last time i went sabatours were there and i must say how hypicritical they were, how can they be there protesting hunting is crulety when they throw nails/needle into the path of horses and dogs, shouting waving things frightening the horses and dogs, geting whipped in the face is payback!

Since hunting has slowed down (i know it still gos on), i have hit countless rabbits, pheshants (?spelling) and 3 fox's in my car, and seen thousands on the road, im not saying it didnt happen before, its just more so now its banned! fox's are more and more in the towns and MY GARDEN.
Rio has managed to catch and kill 2 rabbits (both had myxi)(fed to ferrets so they werent wasted), she wouldnt have stood a chance else!
I just think in the long term in the end they will regret there choice!
Ky
Ky

caseysmom
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I hate the idea of an animal being killed anyhow, anyway. I also eat meat so I can't really sit in judgement but I don't like the thought of it.

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I have gone fox hunting on horseback with foxhounds, the last time i went sabatours were there and i must say how hypicritical they were, how can they be there protesting hunting is crulety when they throw nails/needle into the path of horses and dogs, shouting waving things frightening the horses and dogs, geting whipped in the face is payback!

:( :( :(
Payback? For standing up for animal rights? I did not hear about needle throwing, but the idea and shouting and waving banners is to confuse the dogs and to throw them off the scent. When I watched that programme I mentioned earlier, I researched it fully afterwards to confirm any truth in it. I find the huntsmen, in most cases, to be far more violent than the protesters. I admire the sabatours for their bravery, getting whipped and beaten up in the name of 'payback', that's no easy job, and the people go back and do it again and again. Why? Because they CARE. Good riddance to hunting, I will work with every muscle in my body to get hunting with shotguns for sport out of this country once I am old enough. I'm going to stay off this thread now I think, as it's a subject I feel very strongly about and do not want to start an arguement.

luvofallhorses
06-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I seriously think it's cruel..especially how the dogs are treated. :( I mean some hunters take good care of them, but some don't and it breaks my heart. :(

MomOf7
06-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I hunt with my dogs. Waterfowl and upland birds. Yes we use the meat. We also use the feathers and wings for training purposes. Not much is wasted.
We also do hunt tests which are simulated hunts where live ducks are used. The dead ones are taken by trainers and used for training purposes and used several times as they freeze them and re use them.
Sounds cruel sure. Its a lifestyle I guess you could say.

I think its more cruel to keep animals in too small of grounds in horrible conditions then go to the meat store to eat these poor animals. Thats more cruel than any hunt I have ever been on.
JMO

dogzr#1
06-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Like many have said before me: As long as the whole animal is used, not just for the hide or antlers etc, then I'm ok with it. I'd rather see a deer shot once and it's life ended quickly, than it getting hit and living, and just living the rest of it's days in pain. But to just hunt for mere sport then that is cruel. Just my opinion.

CagneyDog
06-10-2006, 04:18 PM
In most cases I am against hunting. Hunting is made a bit better if it is done for food but I still see no reason to do it. I rather let nature take it's course, and if that means that we are overrun by deer (which we wouldn't be if we didn't kill their predators by the way) then so be it. People need to leave nature alone.

Cataholic
06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I think there's something weird about people who can find it enjoyable to watch something die and know that they killed it.

Very well put. I have YET to meet (and I am 40 years old) a 'hunter' that didn't make me go "hmmmm....".

BOBS DAD
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Very well put. I have YET to meet (and I am 40 years old) a 'hunter' that didn't make me go "hmmmm....".

It may very well be though Cat, that "You have" met hunters that seemed very normal to you. You just did not know that they were hunters. Because like a lot of things, most people participate in activities in moderation and are not consumed by them. I also do not agree with hunting merely for sport but I have hunted and still do on occasion. I once posted on this same subject (but was more on the theme of "hunting dog" breeds). In that post I mentioned how we (my family) hunted for food. We had no real pleasure in seeing anything die, but was more of a natural order of things. In order to eat, you had to kill and clean and process your meat. It is a bit hypocritical to eat a hamburger and think that you are totally against any sort of brutality or mistreatment of animals. It may in fact be more respectful of nature to hunt, forage and gather your own food than to rely on others to do so and pretend that your Big Mac was born a patty!!!

In my previous post I said: I am no longer a Hunter (per se), but I used to hunt frequently with my father. Growing up my father always had Beagles as he was an avid hunter. He taught us to love and respect nature. He also taught his boys to hunt. As a family, we did not have much (in the way of money) and so any game that we bagged was cleaned, processed and prepared as food. Rabbit, Pheasant and Deer (processed and frozen) sure helped to lower my Mom's bill at the market. To this day nothing makes me feel more relaxed than a brisk, sunny morning, walking in golden fields, smelling the fresh air and hearing a Beagle off in the distance howling. It reminds me of a simpler time. A time when my biggest worry "was for Christmas, what would be my toy" - thanks to Stevie Wonder for that line.

Just weighing in on the subject! Following are Ginger shots on an early morning hunt... She Hunts - I Watch and Listen!!!

*LabLoverKEB*
06-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree with Sarah 100%. My dad is a fishermen, but not so much a hunter anymore...

jesse_3
06-11-2006, 02:46 AM
I don't hunt deer, but I do take Jesse up North and we hunt for grouse once in a while. I don't agree with hunting for fur, or antlers, or well, what we call trophy hunting. If you use the whole animal, and you killed it as humanely as possible, then I am okay with it. But if you think that it is okay to wound it, and let it suffer, then you should be shot and suffer right next to the poor animal. Basically, everything that has been said I have been repeating...

Steph and Jes

felicity
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I absolutely despise hunting and am SO glad it is banned over here now. The RSPCA is still working to get a complete ban on hunting with a shotgun too, and maybe when I am older I will help. I remember watching a programme about people who used to boycott fox-hunts. They took an undercover camera, and the things they had to go through, it was awful. Huntsmen beat them up, rode their horses at them, hit them with their riding whips... it goes on and on, and still these brave people continued to campaign against the hunt. I felt so angry and I would have loved to have helped those people. Chasing a fox, rabbit, deer or anything that has a heart beating inside, until it collapses with exhaustion and is ripped apart whilst still alive by dogs, purely for the pleasure of 'the jolly hunt' is sick and barbaric. How anyone can watch an animal die, whether for food or pleasure, is completely beyond me. I get very touchy on this subject.

ditto,

i'm a vegetarian and see no point in killing an animal simply for food...seems like such a waste to me.

i love animals and can't stand the thought of hunting, i have two cats and a dog, i can't have a deer as a pet but i still think they are great animals and would never hurt them.

this is just my opinion, i understand that everyone is different, my husband used to hunt kangaroo's, i'm glad he stopped though because it used to be a heated topic in our house ;)

i have to add that i think pets such as dogs and cats need meat....otherwise they can get sick, i can survive without it and that's my choice but i'd never stop my pets eating it.

felicity

Pawsitive Thinking
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Hate it with a passion

king2005
06-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Nothing wrong with Hunting, its Sport hunting that makes me & real hunters sick!!

(someone posted this in P2)
People eat bear & wolves. Bear hunting is carefully watched & banned when the population is under ccontrol. Once the population is too high the hunting is opened again.

Canned hunting isn't hunting. Its tourturing an animal until it dies!! I saw it on tv & it was horrible. The guy shot the Hog so many times with arrows, that the Hog looked like a porqupine!!

Also nothing wrong with using a bow for hunting. Its quieter & won't scare the heck out of near by animals. When bow hunting is done properly the animal just drops dead. If you cannot use a powerful enough bow to kill a deer quickly in 1 shot, you shouldn't be bow hunting!!

^ Samething when using a shotgun or rifle. If you cannot drop it in 1 shot then you shouldn't be hunting !!

I went hunting for a problem Coyotte last summer. He was not scared of people, was killing Organic sheep left right & center, & wouldn't run away when the farm dogs started barking (the farm dogs could almost get up to him before he ran away). Never did see him, but later found out the farm down the road got him that night. The farmer I & my ex was helping isn't a fan of killing them. He said he sees them all the time, but the second the farm dogs bark & run, the yotts run off. He said he looses a couple sheep/yr & thats ok, no biggy, but 30 in a month from 1 yotte is TOO much.... If we had shot the problem coyotte he would have been fed to the farm dogs (no such thing as dog kibble), so it wouldn't have been wasted.

Argranade
06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
If there was a coyote they could have used a sleeping gun or a trap and set it way up north far away from the farm there was no need to shoot this animal there are plenty of ways to stop a wild animal population with out killing.

There is no real difference between a cat and dog to a deer and racoon ok so what the deer and racoon live outside that still does not give hunters a right to shoot them.Just say you switch things and your animals become wild and know how to fend for them selves then these ppl come and shoot them because they say those cats and dogs started eating our plants.

I just wish some ppl could realy see how much this animal is in pain I mean when some ppl shoot an aniamal they say it has no pain amd no fear.

Than why the hec was it running away from that gun shot Daaa because it would have felt pain like a natural preditore biting its leg. That deer did NOT want to die or feel pain so thats why it was running.Animals can't shoot down the population of us humans and when they try to they get shot.

One boy in some countrey was sitting and reading when a tiger grabed him by the neck and killed and ate the boy only because the human population has grown so much and moved into the tigers land and I do feel sorry for the boy but maybe these ppl should have NOT moved so close to the forests I mean these ppl actualy knew there where tigers in the forest. :rolleyes:

Baby's keep comming in the human life and I think having 9 kids is way too many 1 to 3 kids is ok but we need to stop builidng houses onto the wild life lands. Animals where around WAY before us humans where they realy own the forests and there homes NOT us we just came like a pest on this earth and our numbers in population have gone WAY up In china coulples can only have 1 child and if they have another it MUST be adopted by law we dont want that to happen in other coutries.

I realy dont know what this earth is comming to.

Lady's Human
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Hunting is a very effective means of wildlife management in areas where humans have removed large predators from the food chain. (prime example is the northeast US deer population). The deer have more woodlands than they have had in a century or so, as previously farmed lands have been left to nature. What they don't have is a predator to keep the population in check.

In third world countries people live in areas with wildlife, have for hundreds if not thousands of years, and large predators kill humans fairly routinely. It's been going on since time immemorial, and has nothing to do with any modern trend.

As to China's one child policy, it is a failure, and where it is enforced, it is brutally enforced. Adoption is not an official solution, if the government find out a woman is pregnant with a second child, forced abortion is the official state answer. Given that chinese society values male children more than female children, the one child policy has essentially produced a lopsided population, where in the near term men will far outnumber the women.

BOBS DAD
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
As to China's one child policy, it is a failure, and where it is enforced, it is brutally enforced. Adoption is not an official solution, if the government find out a woman is pregnant with a second child, forced abortion is the official state answer. Given that chinese society values male children more than female children, the one child policy has essentially produced a lopsided population, where in the near term men will far outnumber the women.

That is correct. Not to mention, the secret killing of baby girls in hopes of bearing a boy the next time!!! Also, in countries where there is no state run limit for offspring (such as in the U.S.) the population has stabilized, primarily because of education and economics, and has remained so now for several decades!!!

king2005
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
If there was a coyote they could have used a sleeping gun or a trap and set it way up north far away from the farm there was no need to shoot this animal there are plenty of ways to stop a wild animal population with out killing.

Oh yes lets trap an animal that isn't acting completly normal & dump it into someone elses yard.. No thanks.. A wild animal like that shouldn't reproduce as its young will not be nearly as fearful & that can cause even more problems. Keep the fearfull animals around to keep the genes in check. Besides the farm dogs need to eat anyways. Also it was the first coyotte the farmer even had to consider to shoot in over 10yrs I think it was. SO its not like hes killing every thing in sight.. he didn't want to kill it but it needed to be done.

Also when you shoot an animal properly, there is NO pain & NO fear. How can anything feel pain when its dead before it hits the ground? Trust me when things are done right, there is no suffering at all. We didn't practice at the range for nothing. We're not animals (as in the bad sence), so things need to be done in 1 shot. If you have to shoot an animal a 2ed time, or it runs off & then dies, THATS wrong!! Also we were using the 300WINMAG. Shot anythere near the chest would kill the animal faster then anything, as the chest would litterly turn to mush..we were using strong ammo for this coyotte so there were be no errors made, as the coyotte would be quite far away.. about 1/2 km..

JenBKR
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Argranade - I'm just curious (not trying to start an argument or anything :) ) but how do you feel about commercial meat, such as what you might buy in a grocery store? Are you a vegetarian? Like I said, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything :)

Argranade
06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Argranade - I'm just curious (not trying to start an argument or anything :) ) but how do you feel about commercial meat, such as what you might buy in a grocery store? Are you a vegetarian? Like I said, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything :)

Oh Im becoming one [ I only had about 3 peices of meat in one month im getting there] Its even worse for commercial meat it brought me to tears seing [On peta] that its horrible how those animals have to die and its even more sick. :(

Pembroke_Corgi
06-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh yes lets trap an animal that isn't acting completly normal & dump it into someone elses yard.. No thanks.. A wild animal like that shouldn't reproduce as its young will not be nearly as fearful & that can cause even more problems. Keep the fearfull animals around to keep the genes in check. Besides the farm dogs need to eat anyways. Also it was the first coyotte the farmer even had to consider to shoot in over 10yrs I think it was. SO its not like hes killing every thing in sight.. he didn't want to kill it but it needed to be done.
Actually, if you look at this coyote from an evolutionary perspective- this animal (and it's potential offspring) is more "fit," not neccessarily abnormal. It certainly seems to have a good knack for getting food, which is an excellent survival technique! ;) Coyotes and other predators do not know that certain animals are off-limits, they just take what they can get, and captive animals make pretty easy prey.

luvofallhorses
06-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Hate it with a passion

me too!

king2005
06-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Actually, if you look at this coyote from an evolutionary perspective- this animal (and it's potential offspring) is more "fit," not neccessarily abnormal. It certainly seems to have a good knack for getting food, which is an excellent survival technique! ;) Coyotes and other predators do not know that certain animals are off-limits, they just take what they can get, and captive animals make pretty easy prey.

well I know that lol
But being fearless is a big issue & no wild animal should be fearless like this coyotte. The farmers family has even chased after it.. they were able to get 500 yards from it & thats not good (they were yelling too).