PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your cats name?

dontchakit
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I ask because I remeber when I found Mr.Chips, he was just a kitten on the street. I had no idea what to name him so I just waited for a sign or something to give me an idea...

One day I was sitting on the couch eating my favorite potato chips (salt and vinigar) when he jumped on my lap and crawled into the potato chip bag! :eek:

I hear crunching sounds and to my surprise...he was eating my chips...soooo from that day forward I named him MR.CHIPS! lol! :p

Pawsitive Thinking
06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Katie named Brody after Adam Brody in The OC (plays Seth)

aki
06-09-2006, 11:08 AM
He just looked like a Chuck to me. I can't 'splain it! LOL

~Aki :D

gini
06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
When Rascal came into my yard, he kept taunting my little calico (R/B).

I kept saying to him - you are such a rascal................so his name became obvious.

When the "twins" from next door decided they wanted to live with me..........I wanted some old fashioned names for the girls - so it became Annie and Emma - and it suits them too.

elizabethann
06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Cosmo was named after the Seinfeld character, Cosmo Kramer.

Maxie was supposed to be Moose but I chose Maxie for some reason. But now he's so fat he looks like a moose....a maxie moose I guess. Oh well. I love them to pieces.

:)

Glacier
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Ivy and Glacier are both named for the color of their eyes--Ivy's are green like and ivy plant and Glacier's are icy blue.

Kasha arrived named. It actually means cream of wheat in polish, but her first owner told me that she got it out of a fantasy novel. Kasha was a warrior princess in the book!

Onyx is named for black fur. How original of me! :p

Polly Paws is named for her paws! She's a four paw polydactal. 28 claws in total!

My hubby named Pete. I wanted to call him Pierre, but Stuart said that was dumb and he since he had issues with a Canadian Prime Minister of the same name, he changed it!

Boots was named by the shelter staff and it just stuck.

This is going to sound a little odd, but I believe both Felicia and Beau told me their names. Beau just kept popping into my head when I met him at the shelter(where he had no name and no one knows what his owners called him)

Felicia's name at the shelter was Stardust. One day when I was holding her, I said "that's not your name is it little one?" and as clear as day I heard her say in my mind, "No, I'm Felicia"...and so she is.

kb2yjx
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Spunky was named that because of his SPUNK in standing up to Ashley and Boo when he came to us as a kitten. Barry named Ralph, I added the Syracuse because he is my Orangeman(too bad Syracuse went to just Orange), Norton, was rescued from a sewer and was named after the character on the Honeymooners, Ed Norton, who worked in the sewer.

lvpets2002
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
:) Well each baby was named by their personality & their charming looks..

Abby&Buddy'sMom
06-09-2006, 02:22 PM
well lets see, when we were bringing home Abby from the shelter, my son asked if she was a Tabby cat, I said no , she is an Abby cat . so that is how she got her name.
Buddy was hard to name. He was gonna be Jake, but that is the name I was gonna choose for a great dane puppy that I was (and may in the future ;) ) get. so it was a few days till Buddy actually got his name, from us saying to Abby...." wheres your little buddy?? " and the name stuck....so Buddy it is :)

catlover4ever
06-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Tigger my favorite character from Winnie the Pooh, Tigger also was adopted with her twin brother so we named him Tony after Tony the Tiger.

Smokey because of his smoke coloring.

Tucker because we did not know if she was a boy or girl and I figured that Tucker could fit either.

Mystic was actually Merlin because I first thought she was a boy and was completely black. I think black cats and I think of things mythical. When it was determined that she was really a girl her named was Mystic.

Abner....I really have no idea why he got that name, it was just the name that I said the first time I laid eyes on him.

Gracie and Gabriel, well they were rescued by a very special lady here on PT and when I saw the first picture of the two of them together I knew in my heart that I wanted to adopt them both. Gracie was just a name that I always thought was beautiful and Gracie was adorable as a tiny blind kitty. A post went out for a name for her brother and Gabriel was mentioned by T&P's mom....so I kept the tradition of twins with the same first initials going, however Gabriel is now called Little Dude and we hardly ever refer to him as Gabriel.

Vegas, well Vegas was pretty down on his luck when I started to feed him. He was feral, had been hit by a car, and was infested with worms. All I could think of was people who go to Las Vegas and end up with nothing, well that's what Vegas had, nothing. Lucky for Vegas that his luck turned around and he is now in his forever home...never to be homeless or out of luck again.

lldaniels21
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I was looking for a cat from the local animal shelter. I was reading the paper and saw an ad for a cat named Jenna. Well..I went down there the next day to look at her. They already gave her away. I was hooked on that name so when I adopted another cat I gave her the name Jenna. :)

Lobodeb
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
When Sammy adopted us, Sammy Sosa was the hottest thing in Chicago, whenever we turned on the TV or radio, all you heard was Slammin' Sammy. I was talking to the tv one day, and said, "Sammy this and Sammy that." He stopped what he was doing, looked at me and meowed. I asked him if he liked that name and he meowed at me again.

Sammy it is.

Payton, well, when he was a kitten he was so sweet, that I used to call him sweetness. All of our pets are named after Chicago atheletes so my hubby reminded me that Sweetness was Walter Payton's nick name. We couldn't name him Walter because we have family members by that name, so Payton it was.

CamCamPup33
06-09-2006, 03:44 PM
I thought Figaro looked exactly like the little cat from Pinnochio, soo that's where he got his name. :)

Gin
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Sasquatch had huge feet as a kitten.

I got the name "Missiger" from a movie.

The name "Striker" was suggested by my great niece extraordinaire, Melanie, who was 10 at the time. This was the perfect name, as practically the first thing little Striker did was punch me in the nose.

catmandu
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Pouncer Got Her Name From The Way She Pounced On Her Toys.
Scrappy Got His Name From The Way He Stood Up And Fought Pouncer, Before They Became Friends, Lifelong Friends.
Michael Was Named After The Whats Michael? Comic Strip.
Tubby 2 Was Named After Tubby Angel.
Miquelito And Pouncierge Are Named In Honor Of Pouncer Angel And My Michael.
And The Rest Came With Thier Names.

carole
06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Ash was named by my then young daughter after Ash on pokemon, he just happens to also be grey like ash, so purrfect, Lexie is the pet form of alexandra and is scottish and named after a character, a beautiful scottish dark haired girl in a scottish tv programme called monarch of the glen, the backyard kitties were already named, Duchess,Victoria and Charles after the royal family, pity their so called owner does not treat them like royalty.

Don Juan's mom
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Don Juan got his name at the Humane Society. He's a big furry lovebug, and just a little naughty. :rolleyes: :D

Zerlina is named for the character in the Mozart-da Ponte opera Don Giovanni.

Liz

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I ask because I remeber when I found Mr.Chips, he was just a kitten on the street. I had no idea what to name him so I just waited for a sign or something to give me an idea...

One day I was sitting on the couch eating my favorite potato chips (salt and vinigar) when he jumped on my lap and crawled into the potato chip bag! :eek:

I hear crunching sounds and to my surprise...he was eating my chips...soooo from that day forward I named him MR.CHIPS! lol! :p

I love salt and vinegar chips! :D

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't really know how to describe how Soni got his name. When it was decided that we were keeping him (Which was pretty much from second one!) I was looking at him and "Soni" popped into my head. He's got a very sunny disposition to match his name! :D

Isis was semi-planned. I wanted the name of a goddess for my new female kitten and was leaning toward Isis. The day after we got her, we had to rush her to the vet because of an emergency and we needed to have a name on file so I just picked Isis right then and there! Her attitude matches her namesake.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Seine is named after a character in the movie "Spirited Away," but it is also from the French river, La Seine, which runs through Paris- my favorite city! I think her name suits her well, Seine is a free spirit, just like a river and the movie character. :D

G535
06-09-2006, 10:17 PM
All my cats, dogs, budgies and horses over the years have been named after the Irish relatives as they have such interesting names. :)

Catty1
06-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Oscar - well, a couple of months before he was given to me, I saw paw prints in a dusting of snow outside the kennel where I work. I asked Ted (boss) who it was.

He had been taming and feeding this feral boy since the spring (I saw the prints in October), and he replied: "That's Oscar. Because he's WILD." (get it?)

They had him all "neuticled" and everything, and gave me my $200 sucky boy for Christmas. He is totally bonded to me, and is my heart cat!

COLE - he was dumped near the property (all acreages around there). Black fluffy boy...I thought of Coal, then realized that an artist like Oscar Mayer Wild needed a fellow artist, so Cole Rover Porter came about!

lute
06-10-2006, 12:20 AM
i just started calling PiddyBob a bunch of silly names and i actually liked this name.haha.

Christopher is PiddyBob's kitten. he was the first one to start walkin around so i named him Christopher Walkin.

Medusa
06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Coco Puff, my Siamese, had the cutest little brown furry balls! When he was walking away, I said "They look like little coco puffs!" But alas, he had them removed, so I guess I should call him just Coco. Nah! Creamsicle is named for her coloring. When she first appeared on my porch, she was to tiny, I could hold her in one hand and my hands are small and I said "I could just eat you up; you look like a little Creamsicle." It stuck. Yoda was named after the character in Star Wars because her ears were flattened due to an ear polyp growing in one of them. (She has since had it removed, the polyp, not the ear. :p ) Specs got his name because he has white circles around both eyes that give the appearance that he's wearing spectacles. Boo is coal black and looks like a Halloween cat. His late sister, Peeka, was named that because she liked to peek around corners before entering a room. (Peeka and Boo, get it?) Pigeon was named after the cooing sound that she made when she first appeared in my red raspberry bush. And Puddy got her name from "I t'ought I taw a Puddy Tat", the old cartoon. It just fit.

Blessings,
Mary

momcat
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I've been a big Marx Brothers fan for a lot of years and still love their movies. When I was in the pet shop looking at the baby kittens, a little head popped up. A little black and white baby with a Groucho Marx moustache. It was love at first sight! Groucho was the obvious name. At the vet's office another pet owner looked at him and said, "Yup, that must be a Groucho!"

RobLynn
06-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Tangerine is orange, and I wanted to call her something stupid I guess. Cortney liked Tangerine, and so did Tang.

Boi brown AKA sox, was boots for about one day. My late friend Eric (rip) came over and said boots was too common, and sox sounded better. We called him sox, and Sox likes it. I call him boi brown more than anything though.

http://www.roblynn.org/sox.php

I mean look at him, he's freakin' brown! :)

joycenalex
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
mojo and magic are mother (mojo) and son (magic) a friend is from new orleans, she used the phrase mojo magick, and it stuck in my head. kira is from star trek and squirty was a tiny squirt of a kitten when she was rescued.

rkidsrcats
06-10-2006, 05:43 PM
William (aka Willy YumYum) was named that at the shelter where he was born and lived for almost 2 years before we adopted him.

Percy Peapod was originally named Percival Proctor, but we started calling him Percy Peapod and that stuck.

Tiger was originally T.C. ( for TabbyCat ), he eventually be came Tiger Cat

Pippin was named Mr. Magoo when we adopted him from the shelter at 4 months. But we changed it to Pippin after a very brave and adventurous character in a book I was reading.

Norbert was originally named Bandit by our neighbor who kept him and 4 other cats on her porch for over 5 years. All of a sudden, she decided she didn't want them around any more and was threatening to turn them all out to fend for themselves. I found homes for 4 of them, but Bandit was pretty unsocialized, so we ended up adding him to our tribe. We didn't want any memories of his former caretaker, so we named him Norbert after the little dragon baby in Harry Potter ( always hissing at everything).

Finally, Scooter Pie was named Scooter by his Seattle foster mom. We got him and we didn't change it much, just added the Pie!

That's the Tribe! :D

chocolatepuppy
06-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Sassy was named after the cat on Homeward Bound. She lives up to her name. ;) Missy was already named when I got her and the name seemed to fit her so I kept it. :)

Felicia's Mom
06-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I once heard a singer who's name was Felicia. I thought she had a beautiful voice and after hearing her name, I thought it was beautiful too. I didn't need a name at the time, so it was tucked aside until I needed one.

With Beau's name I don't remember.

Cleo a RB kitty, was from a pet shop where he was named Cleopatra. I just continued to call him Cleo. After realizing he was a male, his full name was changed to Cleophus. Which was a man's name from the Bible.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Maya was named like that by me, after a very sweet dog we used to know. This name fits her perfectly!!http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/hand3.jpg
Inka's was chosen by my daughter Indra who remembered the Maya's and the Inca's from American history!http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/hand4.jpg
Zazou was named by me because she is such a sweetheart. The word "sweet" means "zoet" in Dutch . SO "Zazou" means "that sweet one" :http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/hand2.jpg
Snoopy, was so small and tiny when my hubby found her on that parking lot. I could hold her in 1 hand. So she looked like a "snoepje". We kept this name but tried to sound it a bit more international, so it becams "SNOOPY" !http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/hand1.jpg

dontchakit
06-12-2006, 06:41 AM
I love salt and vinegar chips!

I know arn't they sooo awesome? Funyons are my next favorite!!! :D

elmolly
06-12-2006, 07:37 AM
my Molly:
the SPCA had named her Holly - i work with a Holly so just changed the first letter. No imagination here.

dontchakit
06-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Well I think that its a nice name and i'm sure thats what matters most!

Beauty17
06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Our first family cat, Mustard was an all-orange tabby male, and I named him when he was just a baby. My first cat when I was grown was named Sadie - I can't say why. She was pure white with sea-green eyes. My next cat was a pure blue-grey and I named her Zoe - partly because of the meaning ("life") and because a friend's sister was named Zoe. My next two cats, Tzigane and Myrtille were named by my husband. Myrtille was a dilute tortie, mostly blue-grey, but w/enough pinky-cream to make her look like a wild blueberry just before it is ripe. I don't know why he named our calico Tzigane, unless it had something to do with his own heritage as 1/4 Romany. The cats we have now are Beauty and Indigo. My son named Beauty on the spot at the shelter. She is pure black. Indigo already had a name - Oreo - but we felt it was too undignified and didn't want to keep it. On the other hand, because she was 7 months old, we wanted to name her something that might have some of the same sounds, so after a couple of days, I came up with Indigo. She is half black (the upper half) and half white (the lower half) with beautiful black eyeliner, a white peak in the middle of her face, and a big black spot on her black nose. I thought that indigo dye, if used in intensity, could look almost black.