PDA

View Full Version : Vaccines in cats?? Lasting longer than a year?

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the vaccines lasting longer than a year?
Are titers able to be done on cats like they can on dogs?

I know in dogs a lot of the vaccines actually last for 3-4+ years. Therefore after a couple consecutive annual vaccines my dogs only get them every few years. I don't like to put any more un-needed chemicals/viruses/medications/etc.. in their systems than I have to.

Edited to add: besides Rabies, thats required by state law here.

moosmom
06-09-2006, 09:56 AM
They now have rabies shots that last at least 2 years. I don't have my cats vaccinated every year because I don't think it's necessary. I don't believe in over vaccinating. Think about it...YOU don't get re-vaccinated every few years, right? Besides, my cats don't go outside.

Unless a cat is indoor/outdoor, every 3 years is good in my book.

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
They now have rabies shots that last at least 2 years. I don't have my cats vaccinated every year because I don't think it's necessary. I don't believe in over vaccinating. Think about it...YOU don't get re-vaccinated every few years, right? Besides, my cats don't go outside.

Unless a cat is indoor/outdoor, every 3 years is good in my book.

The rabies vaccines here are good for 3 years, after the first anitial one. That is provided you get them done again before the one (or three) years is up. You can't even be one day late or else it is only good for one year again.

I've been studying this in dog fors years now but just started to research more about vaccines in cats recently.

Here's one good article I found, stating that vaccines every few years is actually not that bad for cats, ondoors or outdoors.
http://www.geocities.com/~kremersark/CVC_2002c.html

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about it and what their vaccine schedule is like.

kb2yjx
06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Several of the Clan Cats as they got older, started to have terrible reactions to the distemper vaccine that is given yearly. They are indoor only cats, so I stopped that vaccine. However, they get the rabies vaccine that is " good" for 3 years.

lvpets2002
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
:) Yes my girls have the three year vaccines.. Pluss I am like Donna they dont need them every year.. My cats are all house babies only..

Glacier
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Cats can be titer tested just like dogs.

I don't vaccinate my cats at all anymore. They've all had several years of vaccinations. Beau's were just done at the shelter since we don't know his history. They wont' be done again. There hasn't been a case of rabies up here in over 60 years and although it is required for my dogs, a rabies shot is no mandatory for cats here. So mine don't get it.

They get regular vet care and of course, any emergency care they need. I've reduced the number of shots my dogs get too. I'd eleminate even more for them, but to keep my kennel liscence I have to do some.

catmandu
06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I Have Always Gotten Shots For The Found Cats Every Year.
And That Way The Vet Checks Them Over For Other Things.
Am I Spending A Lot Of Money That Could Be Spent On Thier Food?
I Would Feel Guilty If They Didnt Get Thier Shots.

carole
06-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I dont know about rabies as we do not have rabies in NZ so no need for the vaccine, but i do vaccinate against cat flue, it is now only necessary every two years.

smokey the elder
06-10-2006, 07:55 AM
There are both rabies and distemper formulas good for 3 years. I have one vet that will alternate (rabies one year, distemper the next.) I'm having any cat over 10 titer tested starting with Ebony, my eldest. I think on the AVMA web site they said that in a study they got active titers up to 7 years after the initial series of distemper shots.