PDA

View Full Version : Need dinner ideas!!

Sirrahsim
06-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I have been sitting here for 30 minutes flipping through cookbooks and nothing looks good. The only thing that I know for sure that I am making is fried ice cream for dessert!
I need inspiration :)

joycenalex
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
take out fried rice, egg rolls and hot and sour soup
pizza, extra cheese, pepperoni
baked in apple juice chicken breasts(wrap them in foil), steamed white rice, green beans with tarragon butter
catfish filets, grilled with old bay seasoning and margarine, salad, sliced peaches on angel food cake
sauteed chicken breasts with roasted garlic glaze, broccoli and baby carrots, pineapple slices

caseysmom
06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Do you have a barbque? I always throw on a steak when I am out of ideas. Is beef outrageously priced in Japan, I thought I remember hearing that. What types of meats do you have readily available?

I love spagetti....or how about sauteeing some onions and bell peppers and having that over some king of hot lunch meat and melted cheese on a sourdough roll. Can you tell I am hungry :D

Sirrahsim
06-09-2006, 12:17 AM
We get our beef on base, so it's very reasonable :) There are lots of good ideas here :) I'm about to run to the store to pick up a few meals worth of groceries :) Thanks so much!

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
beef stroganoff! I love it is quick and easy! :D

Cataholic
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
While too late to help you last night, what about making barbeque? On some nice rolls, topped with coleslaw and chips. MMMMmmmmmmmm, just right for a hot, humid day :p

lvpets2002
06-09-2006, 12:47 PM
:) Ok here is a thought for the future.. Cook/Brown Ground Meat & Drain the grease off real good.. Get a bag of Tator Tots (plain or season) & two small cans of Condensed Mushroom Soup [flavors optional].. Get out a sheet cake pan or a large pie dish.. Put a layer of Tator Tots -a layer of Cooked Ground Meat & a layer of Condensed Mushroom Soup.. Keep layering {about 2 to 3} till all done and put dish in Preheated Oven on 350% for 25 to 30 min.. However long it takes to cook the Tator Tots.. You can make this recipe large or small.. All done & hope you enjoy..

slick
06-09-2006, 01:11 PM
lvpets - that sounds wonderful. Add a side salad and voila. To add more favour and spice, I could sub cooked/ground hot italian sausage for the beef. Tell me though, do you mix the condensed soup with water first or just pour it from the tin?

Missy - OK, I'll bite. Fried Ice cream?? Never heard of it. Surely it more than putting some ice cream in a fry pan and turning on the heat.....and don't call me Shirley. LOL What is it??

As for beef up here....it's just as bad as fish. You practically have to take a second mortgage on the house to enjoy them frequently.

sirrahbed
06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Hawaiian Pizza

Thaw a loaf of frozen bread dough and press into a cookie sheet or pizza pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Add favorite toppings or pineapple, smoky ham and green pepper for the Hawaiian style. Cover with mozzarella and bake in a hot oven until bubbly. :)

My Baked Chicken

(This makes the whole house smell heavenly)
Use whole chicken, wash, pat dry and rub with butter. Pat in some salt and crushed thyme. Stuff the cavity with a quartered lemon, a whole head of garlic, salt, pepper and a handful of thyme sprigs. Bake at 400 for about 1-1 1/2 hours. Bake chicken pieces for 40 minutes. Let the bird rest for about 15 minutes before cutting it up. Squeeze the cloves of garlic and enjoy the smooth paste on some bread. YUMMM!!!

Muddy4paws
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Going to be nosey here, Fried Ice Cream? :confused:

lvpets2002
06-09-2006, 04:38 PM
;) No do not mix with water & just use straight out of the can.. Mmmmm the salad & voila sounds good with it.. I even like the ground hot italian sausage better.. I love my food spicy..
lvpets - that sounds wonderful. Add a side salad and voila. To add more favour and spice, I could sub cooked/ground hot italian sausage for the beef. Tell me though, do you mix the condensed soup with water first or just pour it from the tin?

Missy - OK, I'll bite. Fried Ice cream?? Never heard of it. Surely it more than putting some ice cream in a fry pan and turning on the heat.....and don't call me Shirley. LOL What is it??

As for beef up here....it's just as bad as fish. You practically have to take a second mortgage on the house to enjoy them frequently.

jackie
06-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I just had take away pizza. :o

Cataholic
06-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I just had take away pizza. :o

JACKIE!!!!! :D :D

Sirrahsim
06-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Fried Ice Cream
1 pt. vanilla or other flavor ice cream
1/2 c. crushed corn flake or cookie crumbs
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. sugar
1 egg
Oil for deep frying
Honey
Whipped cream

Scoop out 4-5 balls of ice cream. Return to freezer. Mix corn flake crumbs, cinnamon, and sugar. Roll frozen ice cream balls in half the crumb mixture and freeze again. Beat egg and dip coated balls in egg, then roll again in remaining crumbs. Freeze until ready to use. (For thicker coating, repeat dipping egg and rolling in crumbs.)
When ready to serve, heat oil to 350 degrees. Place a frozen ice cream ball in fryer basket or on a perforated spoon and lower into hot oil 1 minute. Immediately remove and place in dessert compote. Drizzle with honey and top with dollop of whipped cream. Continue to fry balls one at a time. Balls will be crunchy outside and just beginning to melt inside. Makes 4-5 servings.

It's delicious but kind of a pain in the butt to make. The great thing is that once the balls of ice cream are frozen with the crumbs on them you can just leave them in the freezer until you get a craving for them :)

Sirrahsim
06-09-2006, 09:04 PM
:) Ok here is a thought for the future.. Cook/Brown Ground Meat & Drain the grease off real good.. Get a bag of Tator Tots (plain or season) & two small cans of Condensed Mushroom Soup [flavors optional].. Get out a sheet cake pan or a large pie dish.. Put a layer of Tator Tots -a layer of Cooked Ground Meat & a layer of Condensed Mushroom Soup.. Keep layering {about 2 to 3} till all done and put dish in Preheated Oven on 350% for 25 to 30 min.. However long it takes to cook the Tator Tots.. You can make this recipe large or small.. All done & hope you enjoy..

Do you smush the tator tots at all or just stack them in there whole?

joycenalex
06-09-2006, 09:33 PM
...i had a pepperoni pizza and beer tonight. :o

lvpets2002
06-11-2006, 05:44 PM
:) No you just leave the Tator Tots whole with in the layers.. As all is cooked in the oven flavor soaks in to all of it..
Do you smush the tator tots at all or just stack them in there whole?

slick
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Lvpets: I'm going to make this for my dinner tonight. I have a combination of hot italian sausage and xtra lean ground beef. I'm going to sautee that with onions, red pepper and a bit of garlic. I'll let you know how it turns out. You didn't say whether or not the tots should be frozen....I've thawed them out so I'll guess the cooking time at about 40 min.????

lvpets2002
06-13-2006, 03:09 PM
:) Yes leave the Tator Tots frozen & whole.. Hey I just love your meat combo & will for sure have to try it.. Let me know how it turns out ok ;)
Lvpets: I'm going to make this for my dinner tonight. I have a combination of hot italian sausage and xtra lean ground beef. I'm going to sautee that with onions, red pepper and a bit of garlic. I'll let you know how it turns out. You didn't say whether or not the tots should be frozen....I've thawed them out so I'll guess the cooking time at about 40 min.????

sirrahbed
06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Missy - not sure if you have a salad bar available but - a favorite dinner around here just means running to the grocery salad bar and choosing the stir fry fixings I am in the mood for :D It sure beats buying, rinsing and chopping all those veggies and then having some go bad in the fridge.

Anyone else do this and if so, what are your favorite combos? I like to get scallions, purple onions, green & red peppers and mushrooms.

Another fav is scallions, celery, shredded carrot and then adding some peanut butter to the hot stir fry and serving over rice or ramen.

I also do this (salad bar) for toppings to add to my own pizza. YUM!!

Sirrahsim
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
sadly there is no salad bar here :( I'll definately use that tip when I move back to the states though :) I hate chopping veggies!

lvpets, I think I'm going to try that recipe as well :D It sounds right up our alley :) Do you add any spices, or does the condensed soup add all the flavor you need?

lvpets2002
06-14-2006, 03:10 PM
:) You can spice it as you want.. I have only used the soup to add the flavor.. Also I will note that if you cook it one evening & eat the next the flavors soak in real good.. But if you are real hungry eat it right out of the oven & Mmmm good..
sadly there is no salad bar here :( I'll definately use that tip when I move back to the states though :) I hate chopping veggies!

lvpets, I think I'm going to try that recipe as well :D It sounds right up our alley :) Do you add any spices, or does the condensed soup add all the flavor you need?