PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies.

Heather Wallace
05-11-2002, 08:12 AM
I have just bought Tatty my cat some herbal medicines. Believe it or not they where very resonably priced. He is 9 yrs old now and his fur is looking and feeling bad, so I have bought some ageing tablets and also some worming tabs.

Has anyone else purchased these?

Do they work?:confused:

tazz1227
05-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Heather....herbs for cats?? REALLY??? My girlfriend takes her dog to get monthly massages for stress so I guess why not herbs for cats. :D

Daisylover
05-13-2002, 12:52 PM
At the sanctuary we've tried herbs and things when a bunny gets ill. We've had only so-so success. I think it's because the natural herbs aren't as strong as a chemical-based antibiotic, so you have to give more of it more often and for a longer time period.

I'm not sure I'd give her any worming medicine without taking her to the vet first...that's pretty drastic stuff.

Gio
05-15-2002, 09:44 AM
I'm a great believer in natural medicine (I'm allergic to a lot of drugs and not keen on animal tests). It works slowly so it's not the best solution for acute phases or emergencies. I also give them to my cats. They're quite good for stress or anxiety related problems. The vet suggested some supplements for Gigio's (RB) kidney problems, he took them for a few years before he died at 19. I think they are better than their chemical counterparts. He used to take stuff for his gengivitis and lack of appetite. At that point he would have not tolerated any stronger drug.

Maya was also stung by an insect once and there was no vet aroudn for miles. Her paw did swell terribly and she was very sick, with a few homeopathic remedies and other alternative stuff she was very quickly her old self.

There are a few vets over here who decide from time to time if a traditional or alternative treatment would work best.