View Full Version : World Cup

Pages : [1] 2

Pawsitive Thinking
06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
All starts tomorrow! Woohoo!!!!

Who will you be supporting?? For me - its England :rolleyes: and Ivory Coast :D

shihtzulover850
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know who I will support! I will just watch and see.

Miss Z
06-08-2006, 12:06 PM
*Gets up and claps hands*

ENG-UH-LAND, ENG-UH-LAND!!!

"It's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming
Football's coming home

Three lions on my shirt...."

LOL, everyone in the north are complete football HOOLIGANS, most are anyway.:p I'm not one of those exceptions, as you can tell!:D Football madness runs in the family for me;)

Anita Cholaine
06-08-2006, 12:21 PM
GO ARGENTINA!! :D:D:D

Everybody is like football crazy here, and it's so contagious!

PS: Argentina plays againt Ivory Coast this Saturday :p

beeniesmom
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Forza ARGENTINA!!! Forza Maradona! :D
Forza ITALIA!

smokey the elder
06-08-2006, 12:52 PM
As one of about 100 Americans who enjoy soccer....

GO USA!! :)

Anita Cholaine
06-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Forza ARGENTINA!!! Forza Maradona! :D
Forza ITALIA!

LOL :D Italy is one of my favourites for the World Cup too!

RICHARD
06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
*Gets up and claps hands*

ENG-UH-LAND, ENG-UH-LAND!!!

"It's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming
Football's coming home

Three lions on my shirt...."

Hmmm,

And all this time I thought it was a Victoria's Secret bra! :confused: ;) :eek:

Stupid question time?

Are there names for the teams besides the country names?

secrets.
06-09-2006, 01:55 PM
OMGAWDS are these the only soccer fans we have here?? LOL. Sorry, America, but I have and always will be rooting for... BRAZIL!! :D

Disappointing match between Germany and Costa Rica. I won't talk about, though, because I don't think everybody watched it yet. Needless to say, I was upset with the CR offense.

Giselle
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Ecuador VS Poland in about 3 minutes. I'm sooo excited. Out of these two, I'll be rooting for Ecuador, but I can't WAIT until Brazil plays Croatia. I hear America's team is supposed to be the best in this generation after a humiliating defeat against Germany a couple years ago, so I guess I'll be looking forward to their match as well (wow, what a run-on sentence). I love soccer :D

Edit: Ack, I mixed up the teams LOL.

Killearn Kitties
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Are there names for the teams besides the country names?
No.

Well not polite ones anyway.

Cataholic
06-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Go USA! (not very far, but, go all the same).

Giselle
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
World Cup 6/9/06 results below:

Poland VS Ecuador (0-2) - All I have to say is that I was pleasantly surprised by the Ecuadorian defense. :D

Anita Cholaine
06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Poland VS Ecuador (0-2) - All I have to say is that I was pleasantly surprised by the Ecuadorian defense. :D

I agree! The ecuadorians did it really well!

Now have to wait until tomorrow, Argentina vs Ivory Coast... I'm a bit nervous about it, it seems like Ivory Coast has a really good team!

carole
06-09-2006, 08:14 PM
well as we did not make the cut, i will support the next best thing , the good ole Aussies of course.

BOBS DAD
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
My Son Loves Football... Or As We Yanks Call It, Soccer. His Favorite Team Is "liverpool"???

I Myself, As Is With Most Americans Can't Get Into It. Honestly, No Disrespect - But I Find Soccer Incredibly Boring. Now Before You Get All Insulted, You Should Know That I Find Hockey To Be Equally Uninteresting. Yawwhhhn!!!

Not Enough Scoring. A Lot Of Cheering - Hard To Understand What All The Cheering And Fuss Is For - Nothing Really Happening And Definitely No Scoring. Same With Hockey - They Cheer When Players "merely Shoot The Puck".

Sooo... My Son Mick Will Be All About The World Cup. And When I See Him Again, I'll Ask One Of America's Few Real Soccer Fanatics Who's Going To Bring It Home!!!

Giselle
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
My Son Loves Football... Or As We Yanks Call It, Soccer. His Favorite Team Is "liverpool"???

I Myself, As Is With Most Americans Can't Get Into It. Honestly, No Disrespect - But I Find Soccer Incredibly Boring. Now Before You Get All Insulted, You Should Know That I Find Hockey To Be Equally Uninteresting. Yawwhhhn!!!

Not Enough Scoring. A Lot Of Cheering - Hard To Understand What All The Cheering And Fuss Is For - Nothing Really Happening And Definitely No Scoring. Same With Hockey - They Cheer When Players "merely Shoot The Puck".

Sooo... My Son Mick Will Be All About The World Cup. And When I See Him Again, I'll Ask One Of America's Few Real Soccer Fanatics Who's Going To Bring It Home!!!

Now I can't agree with you there. I'm an American and I *adore* soccer, as do millions of youth and college soccer players across America. I think we went overboard with the "trying-to-be-different/distinguish-ourselves" thing.

On that same note, I CAN NOT stand baseball or football. They bore me to death! Superbowl weekend only amuses me because of all the good food, LOL.

BOBS DAD
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Now I can't agree with you there. I'm an American and I *adore* soccer, as do millions of youth and college soccer players across America. I think we went overboard with the "trying-to-be-different/distinguish-ourselves" thing.

On that same note, I CAN NOT stand baseball or football. They bore me to death! Superbowl weekend only amuses me because of all the good food, LOL.

Good stuff Giselle!!! I am 47 years old and when I was 10 years old a fella came to our school and organized a Soccer match between our grade school and several other local ones. He said that soccer was the "world's sport" and that we Americans were just catching the craze, but before "we all graduated from High School", Soccer would be EVEN BIGGER than the Super Bowl.

Well Giselle, I guess you probably already know the end to that story! LOL!!! It ends about the same way as the "everything will be metric" by the year 1980! If Soccer were simply "naturally" exciting and one couldn't help catch the fever, it would have flourished in the U.S. by now, despite any resistance or "trying to be different" efforts on anyone's part. I guess I am just one of the 249 Million in America who do enjoy baseball (Yes, we baseball lovers agree that it is a slow game - but from one who played it their entire life - from LL through College - we know that there are a lot more psychological games being played than what the camera captures), football and basketball.

I think the last 3o years have shown us that Soccer will not take root and that Hockey will only be a secondary distraction!!! Just poking yer soccer bone!

BOBS DAD
06-09-2006, 10:10 PM
OK... here's a standard Soccer game in our house. Mick is glued to the tube and all the girls are doing something. I am watching the game to start with, cause me and Mick - generally speaking, like all sports. But as usual, no one is scoring and the anouncers are going on endlessly about nothing and nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

So I get up and go to the bathroom (we don't freeze the game cause we don't have any real concern that I will miss anything). I come back in and the score is still 0-0. No surprise. Mick is real interested in rewinding the game to show me a "pass" that I missed.

I am trying to get interested but I remember the grass needs cutting. And watching the grass grow is infinitely more interesting than the current game. So I cut the grass, get a shower and come back in. Mick is all mad about some calls and missed opportunities. Score ends up 0-0 in OT - or EXTRA TIME - what's that all about?????

RICHARD
06-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Oh my!

What beautiful goals by the Germans.

In a nutshell.

Take a ball, kick it from 10 meters away and put it into the tiniest corner of a
HUGE net.

While you have people trying to stomp, kick and break your knees. ;)

--------------------------

"Football" is ice hockey on grass. Basketball with no hands and American football with no pads, except shin guards and a high tolerance for getting kicked in the head. :confused:

KK,

Why did your response make me laugh? ;)

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 04:21 AM
I'm supporting Germany, of course, and it's exciting that the soccer World Cup is in my country. http://www.world-of-smilies.com/html/images/smilies/sport/em04special_7.gif

People here were very happy with the 4:2 result yesterday; and the goals were truly beautiful. There were huge World Cup parties here everywhere, and this was just the beginning.

I will watch England : Paraguay this afternoon.

BTW, I heard that Victoria Beckham arrived in Germany now, and here's a joke going around these days:

Q:: Why do the Germans hope that England will stay in the tournament as long as possible?

A.: Because Victoria Beckham will boost the German economy by going shopping here! :D

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
06-10-2006, 04:40 AM
:D :D Poor Posh.

Barbara
06-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I have been in London yesterday and missed the game completely. I had to stand quite some stuff by my co-workers in London :rolleyes:
My German boss called me and asked when I'll be back. I said at 8 p.m. He said "BUT YOU KNOW WHAT'S ON THEN??????" And I said "Yes- but I didn't know it was in my contract to have to watch it :D "

I'm a nerd- I would love a team from a very small and unknown country to win- but I have no idea who that could be :D :D :D

Cincy'sMom
06-10-2006, 07:26 AM
OK... here's a standard Soccer game in our house. Mick is glued to the tube and all the girls are doing something. I am watching the game to start with, cause me and Mick - generally speaking, like all sports. But as usual, no one is scoring and the anouncers are going on endlessly about nothing and nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

So I get up and go to the bathroom (we don't freeze the game cause we don't have any real concern that I will miss anything). I come back in and the score is still 0-0. No surprise. Mick is real interested in rewinding the game to show me a "pass" that I missed.

I am trying to get interested but I remember the grass needs cutting. And watching the grass grow is infinitely more interesting than the current game. So I cut the grass, get a shower and come back in. Mick is all mad about some calls and missed opportunities. Score ends up 0-0 in OT - or EXTRA TIME - what's that all about?????

Too funny!!!

I LOVE soccer, LOVE IT! When I am playing, that is. Yes, I am 30 years old and still play soccer year round (2 outdoor seasons, 3 indoor sessions). I just can't get into it on TV.

It is the same with Baseball. I LOVE to play (softball). Haven't missed a season in 22 years!! Can't stand to watch it on TV.

Yet I love to watch 43 guys drive circle after circle on a Sunday afternoon :confused: I can't explain it! Go Tony!

Anita Cholaine
06-10-2006, 07:55 AM
England VS Paraguay is starting! :D

EDIT: On the 3rd minute of the match, England:1- Paraguay: 0 :eek:

Killearn Kitties
06-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I wondered how you would get on travelling yesterday, Barbara. :D You're lucky England weren't playing yesterday, or you may not have got to the airport. It wouldn't be the first time that no trains were running, because none of the drivers have turned up for work. Actually come to think on it, that's in Scotland. Maybe England is different.

Football is hard to avoid here. Are you SURE it is not in your contract that you have to watch it????? Have you checked?

Miss Z
06-10-2006, 10:25 AM
There are horns sounding outside as I type this, and chants of Three Lions, EN-GUH-LAND and many demonstrations of the robot dance.:p

Even though we technically didn't score (as it was an own goal)....

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH ENGLAND!!!

That's one match done and won now anyway:D

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 10:45 AM
There are horns sounding outside as I type this, and chants of Three Lions, EN-GUH-LAND and many demonstrations of the robot dance.:p

Even though we technically didn't score (as it was an own goal)....

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH ENGLAND!!!

That's one match done and won now anyway:D

Congrats! :) I missed the match this afternoon, I visited my mom earlier and stayed longer than I had planned. But I just heard that England won with the help of an own goal in the third minute.

Barbara, you were NOT in Munich when the Germans had their match there?! Wow, that's too bad! LOL

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-10-2006, 10:49 AM
YYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!! England won!!!!

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm a nerd- I would love a team from a very small and unknown country to win- but I have no idea who that could be

Well, I find it kind of sad that none of the "surprise teams" of previous World Cups or European Championships - like Turkey, Greece, or Denmark - has made it to the tournament. They were so much fun to watch. I wonder which team from a so-called "small" country will surprise us this year: maybe Trinidad & Tobago, or Ivory Coast? We'll see. :)

Kirsten

Karen
06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I, like Amy, think soccer/futball is more fun to play than watch. And I am a bad player, and haven't played in many years. I don't like "American football" either.

Baseball any day! Go Red Sox! Basketball used to be fun to watch, when I was a kid and the Celtics had a great team ... And hockey is cool - I mean, most people couldn't skate and handle a stick at the same time, what hockey players manage, at high speed on sktes without toe picks, is simply amazing!

Anita Cholaine
06-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I wanted Paraguay to win, but I knew it was imposible, since their team isn't very good. England didn't do it very well, though... They will need to play MUCH better if they want to take the cup home!

Kirsten
06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Has anyone here watched Trinidad & Tobago : Sweden?

No goals, but an exciting match!

Anita, will you watch Argentina : Ivory Coast tonight? It will start in an hour... :)

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-10-2006, 01:38 PM
The Cup Of Life (The Official Song of the World Cup, France '98)

The cup of life
This is the one
Now is the time
Don't ever stop
Push it along
Gotta be strong
Push it along
Right to the top

Como Cain y Abel
Es un partido cruel
Tienes que pelear
Por una estrella
Consigue con honor
La copa del amor
Para sobrevivir y luchar por ella
Luchar por ella (YEAH)
Do you really want it... (YEAH)

(Like Cain and Abel
It's a cruel game
You have to fight
For that star
Get it with honor
The cup of love
To survive and fight for her
Fight for her!)

CHORUS 1:
Here we go! Allez, allez, allez!
Go, go go! Allez, allez, allez!
Arriba va! El mundo esta de pie
Go, Go, Gol!! Allez, allez, allez!

La vida es
Competicion
Hay que sonar
Ser campeon
La copa es
La bendicion
La ganaras
Go, Go, Go!

(life is a competition
You have to dream
Of being a champion
The cup is the goal
You'll win it, Go GO, GO!)

And when you feel the heat
The world is at your feet
No one can hold you down
If you really want it
Just steal your destiny
Right from the hands of fate
Reach for the cup of life
'Cause your name is on it
Do you really want it...(YEAH)
Do you really want it...(YEAH)

CHORUS 2:
Tu y yo! Allez, allez, allez!
Go, go ,go! Allez, allez, allez!
Tonight's the night we're
gonna celebrate
The cup of life!!! Allez, allez, allez!

Not a Ricky Martin Fan but I thought this song was really neat.

shihtzulover850
06-10-2006, 04:08 PM
GO ARGENTINA!! :D:D:D

Everybody is like football crazy here, and it's so contagious!

PS: Argentina plays againt Ivory Coast this Saturday :p
congrats argentina just won. Just finished watching it! :D

shihtzulover850
06-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Kirsten
yeah I watched it. It was exciting!

Anita Cholaine
06-10-2006, 05:11 PM
:D:D:D

Argentina won, 2-1!!!! It was a really good match...

I'm really happy about the Trinidad & Tobago-Sweden result too!

Cataholic
06-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Good stuff Giselle!!! I am 47 years old and when I was 10 years old a fella came to our school and organized a Soccer match between our grade school and several other local ones. He said that soccer was the "world's sport" and that we Americans were just catching the craze, but before "we all graduated from High School", Soccer would be EVEN BIGGER than the Super Bowl.

Well Giselle, I guess you probably already know the end to that story! LOL!!! It ends about the same way as the "everything will be metric" by the year 1980! If Soccer were simply "naturally" exciting and one couldn't help catch the fever, it would have flourished in the U.S. by now, despite any resistance or "trying to be different" efforts on anyone's part. I guess I am just one of the 249 Million in America who do enjoy baseball (Yes, we baseball lovers agree that it is a slow game - but from one who played it their entire life - from LL through College - we know that there are a lot more psychological games being played than what the camera captures), football and basketball.

I think the last 3o years have shown us that Soccer will not take root and that Hockey will only be a secondary distraction!!! Just poking yer soccer bone!

Bob's Dad...uh, what rock are you living under? I am 40, began playing at 5, played at college, for a nationally ranked (NAIA, at the time) college, and I am here to tell you- soccer is and has been the most growing sports we have. You seem to forget that baseball and football have been around forEVER, and in comparison, soccer is much more ahead of the game then you might think. Football and baseball have an advantage- lots of old people attend/support the game, and our country is a bit elder heavy at the moment. :D

Seriously, I would just tell you, like others have told me when I state how boring football is, "Its just because you can't understand the game that you don't find it interesting. No, really. You just don't understand." :D :D

BOBS DAD
06-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Bob's Dad...uh, what rock are you living under? I am 40, began playing at 5, played at college, for a nationally ranked (NAIA, at the time) college, and I am here to tell you- soccer is and has been the most growing sports we have.

Seriously, I would just tell you, like others have told me when I state how boring football is, "Its just because you can't understand the game that you don't find it interesting. No, really. You just don't understand." :D :D

ROCK??? ROCK??? I don't live under no stinkin' rock!!! In vernacular my Uncle Nick used to use. Everything was "stinkin". LOL!!!

40 - yer just a pup! Soccer and Soccer fans like yourself have been saying that for 50 years, but yet soccer continues to be relegated to a tertiary sport. Soccer leagues are comprised of a few good athletes (like yourself), kids who can't play anything else, those that need exercise and sissy boys!!! Soccer is for Soccer Moms and much like Ice Cream - it's most enjoyed by women and small children!

Karen
06-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Go Argentina! Go Sweden - get yer thick heads together, guys, and remember the goal is to score next time! (But I am (secretly) happy that the game was a tie, just because T&T is such an underdog and played well.)

Giselle
06-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, I find it kind of sad that none of the "surprise teams" of previous World Cups or European Championships - like Turkey, Greece, or Denmark - has made it to the tournament. They were so much fun to watch. I wonder which team from a so-called "small" country will surprise us this year: maybe Trinidad & Tobago, or Ivory Coast? We'll see. :)

Kirsten
Well, I was quite surprised with the Ivory Coast today. They played very nicely, IMO, considering that today was their FIRST appearance at the World Cup. Not to mention, they were up against a heavily competitive nation (Argentina is to soccer as America is to American football), and they performed very nicely. The goalie left a little more to be desired, but what more can you expect from an African nation ruled by civil unrest and warfare? I thought it was a noble effort. 2:1 ain't bad :p

Bob's Dad, we'll just have to disagree and I'll have to agree with Cataholic here. Soccer is an amazing sport and if you don't enjoy it, I guess you just don't understand it, LOL. I remember the sports narrator commenting about how Pélé inspired Nigeria to cease fire for 48 hours just to let him play. Now, you tell me what other sport can do that?

DJFyrewolf36
06-11-2006, 03:54 AM

Anita, will you watch Argentina : Ivory Coast tonight? It will start in an hour... :)

Kirsten

I checked the highlights online not too long ago. I'm suprised that Trinidad/Tobago held the Sweedes to 0. I think if any small team goes far, it will be them. They seem to have a lot of determination!

Oh BTW, Go Sweeden!

ChrisH
06-11-2006, 04:54 AM

Well, I can't totally agree with you, especially as a Brit, but I have to admit I am so bored with this 'World Cup fever' that surrounds me. TV, radio, advertising - if they can connect anything with England & the cup, even in the tiniest way, they will.
My late husband was a great sports fan, loved football. As does my son - Liverpool is his team - and I know he will glued to the box watching whenever he gets the chance, even my 10 year old grandaughter likes it! As for me, well, there are some compensations in living alone. :)
Don't get me wrong, I wish England well, and if they get in the final I will be watching and cheering them on along with everyone else.

p.s. To this day my son swears he remembers watching England win the cup in '66 even though he was only three and a half at the time! :D

BOBS DAD
06-11-2006, 05:01 AM
p.s. To this day my son swears he remembers watching England win the cup in '66 even though he was only three and a half at the time! :D

That is sooo cute Chris.... I know the feeling!!! GO ENGLAND!!!! LOL

shihtzulover850
06-11-2006, 11:22 AM
right now i am watching iran and mexico battle it out :) :p good game

Kirsten
06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I just watched the match, too. The first half was really great, too bad that Iran seemed to be physically exhausted after the break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH

p.s. To this day my son swears he remembers watching England win the cup in '66 even though he was only three and a half at the time!

That is sooo cute Chris.... I know the feeling!!! GO ENGLAND!!!! LOL

LOL, sounds familiar to me. When Germany won the World Cup in 1974, my sister was only a couple of weeks old, but she swears she remembers she was almost starving in her cradle while the rest of her family was watching the match! LOL

Kirsten

BOBS DAD
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
LOL, sounds familiar to me. When Germany won the World Cup in 1974, my sister was only a couple of weeks old, but she swears she remembers she was almost starving in her cradle while the rest of her family was watching the match! LOL
Kirsten

OH... I'm sure she got fed... AS SOON AS THE GAME WAS OVER!!! LOL

OK... I talked to my son Mick today and he says (for what it is worth) that Brazil is going to win it all!!!

Uabassoon
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Alexa is in London right now and she said it was a madhouse after England won their first match. She's really excited about going to a pub to watch the next game, she isn't into soccer but I think she'll enjoy the experience. I hope England is still in when I get to London because I'd also love to sit in a pub and watch the game.

I dont' know too much about soccer as I'm mainly into rugby, but I'd still enjoy being able to watch one of the games in a pub. I don't think I'd enjoy it very much sitting at home watching it on my own tv screen.

carole
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Oh my gosh Bobs Dad my father would be so insulted by your comments, he is a real man's man, and played soccer in Scotland and NZ, it is not considered a sissy game in Scotland to my knowledge, mind you i gotta say Rugby is the much preferred game down under, but i guess each to their own.,personally i can take or leave either of them as i am not a huge sports fan, but still like to support my country whenever possible. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
The Mexico vs. Iran game was amaaaaazing, especially the first half.

WOO MEXICO!! :D I'm rooting for them all the way!

Giselle
06-12-2006, 01:20 AM
OH... I'm sure she got fed... AS SOON AS THE GAME WAS OVER!!! LOL

OK... I talked to my son Mick today and he says (for what it is worth) that Brazil is going to win it all!!!
I love your son!! LOL. Brazil and Germany (Argentina, possibly?) are probably two of the biggest favorites, but I have and always will be rooting for Brazil. Those darn Brazilians just really know their game!

US vs. Czech Republic tomorrow!! :D I can't wait!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-12-2006, 08:46 AM
The true joy of being an audio typist has only just come to light! I can listen to the football (Japan 1 Australia 0) without anyone being any the wiser :D

Kirsten
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Now it's USA vs. Czech Republic live on tv. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the US, but 0:1 already... :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen Australia : Japan? Wow, the last 15 minutes were so exciting!!

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
REUTERS –Washington DC.

Bush to Invade Czech Republic.

In a hastily called news conference George Bush announced that the was deploying an invasion force to the Czech Republic as soon as possible.

His reaction was in response to the 3-0 loss by the U.S. men’s soccer team.

“I heard the U.S. football team was playing in England,. When I turned the game on there was no football being played! Just men in shorts running up and down the field-What’s up with that?”

Bush also went on to add, “I wound never play football without a helmet, those guys were using their heads!”

When Bush was told that the Americans were to play Italy next, he added, “We’ll invade them too, I have always wanted to own a country shaped like a boot.”

BOBS DAD
06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Oh my gosh Bobs Dad my father would be so insulted by your comments, he is a real man's man, and played soccer in Scotland and NZ, it is not considered a sissy game in Scotland to my knowledge, mind you i gotta say Rugby is the much preferred game down under, but i guess each to their own.,personally i can take or leave either of them as i am not a huge sports fan, but still like to support my country whenever possible. :)

Awh now Carole,

You know I was just joshin'. Trying to get under the skin of those taking it to heart and all... LOL. I'm sure it "is" quite different in Scotland. I was just referring to the U.S. and my own personal experience - with sissys!!! LOL!

You do know that in the U.S. we even have a phenomenon called "Soccer Moms". They cart their kids to and from practice and games and kind of live for soccer. BUT they do it more for the socialization aspect of it all and not really the competition (which is OK, I guess). They encourage equal times, boys and girls mixed and "not keeping score". Everyone has a jolly ol' time and they go out and get ice cream afterwards. The mom's carpool with each other and yaack about everything and everyone and everybody gets rides to and from all events - even if the events are across the the street from yer house!!!

Uh Oh... here I go again... Uhmmm, I meant to say that Soccer is COOL!

Giselle
06-12-2006, 03:34 PM
:mad: USA vs. CZE = 0:3

I was about to throw something at the TV...My only question is that if Langdon Donovan is supposed to be so good and with all the media coverage surrounding him, WHY is it that I never saw him *once* in the game? Ridiculous!

On a lighter note, Ghana vs. Italy is going on right now and I have so much respect for the Ghana goalie, Kingston. WOW. Some of those saves were worth standing ovations, IMO. In my eyes, he should be Man of the Match.

0:2

OH...WOW. An open goal. WOW. :eek:

carole
06-12-2006, 11:01 PM
It is cool Bobs Dad, i knew you were as we say in NZ just pulling my leg, or as you say just joshin, i just had to comment, my poor dad would be most put out by even the suggestion it was a sissy's game, he is such a typical macho scottish man, lol, its all good i knew where you were coming from, cheers.. :) :D

captain
06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
I just found this thread - and Goooooooooooooooo Aussie!!!! :D

We have a sweep at work and I drew Argentina and Iran ... :eek: :o

Carole,
A Kiwi supporting Aussie - good grief, woman ....... oh, hang on. It is not RUGBY, so that is ok then :D

MariaM
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
And I'm supporting Ukraine!

The games are always on at school in the commons area haha. :D I watched some of one during 5th today.

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
us played poorly. :( the coach didn't do much to cheer them on either. :( oh well I enjoyed the australia japan game :D :D :D

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Now it's USA vs. Czech Republic live on tv. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the US, but 0:1 already... :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen Australia : Japan? Wow, the last 15 minutes were so exciting!!

Kirsten
yep it was good AU STRA LIA AU STRA LIA!!! GO AUSSIES!!!!! yeah1

Anita Cholaine
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Is anybody watching France-Switzerland?? They are 0:0, but it's a really exciting game to watch :D

I want to see Brazil-Croatia too! Those brazilians are just too good, and I love watching them, but it will be a bit scary if they have to play against Argentina...

BOBS DAD
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Is anybody watching France-Sweden?? They are 0:0, but it's a really exciting game to watch :D

I want to see Brazil-Croatia too! Those brazilians are just too good, and I love watching them, but it will be a bit scary if they have to play against Argentina...

Is Croatia any good??? As you know, I am not a soccer fan... but my son Mick, he's just crazy for it. I know he says that the U.S. won't advance past the first round and that Brazil is going to take it all. But being only a second generation American (both my parent's parents from Croatia), maybe I can do some ancestral rooting!!! LOL!

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Is anybody watching France-Sweden?? They are 0:0, but it's a really exciting game to watch :D
i was. but stopped. who won?

Anita Cholaine
06-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Is Croatia any good??? As you know, I am not a soccer fan... but my son Mick, he's just crazy for it. I know he says that the U.S. won't advance past the first round and that Brazil is going to take it all. But being only a second generation American (both my parent's parents from Croatia), maybe I can do some ancestral rooting!!! LOL!

I don't know if Croatia is good, but I'm sure that Brazil is much better than them :p I would love Croatia to win, though...

i was. but stopped. who won?

lol, I didn't watch the end, but I think it finished 0:0!

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
they must have been playing well! :)

Miss Z
06-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Wasn't it France vs Switzerland? I haven't watched any today due to revision, but Sweden are in Group B.

Anita Cholaine
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Wasn't it France vs Switzerland? I haven't watched any today due to revision, but Sweden are in Group B.

Yes, I meant Switzerland, actually! :o I edited my post.

shihtzulover850
06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
can someone explain the different groups please? I don't get that

Miss Z
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, I meant Switzerland, actually! :o I edited my post.

LOL, you had me cofused for a second there:D ;)

shihtzulover, the groups are made up of four teams which qualified for the World cup. There are 8 groups, and the teams within each group play each other. The top two teams go into the second round, then the winners from that go into the quarter finals, then you have the semi-finals, and then the final decides the winner!:)

carole
06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Ssh Captain don't tell anyone, or i will be in big trouble,lol :D

The old saying comes to mind better the devil you know than the devil you don't he he.

Sonia59
06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
I did not watch France-Switzerland but from what I saw on the news I did not miss anything going to the shelter cuddling the kitties instead of watching it ;) :D

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm going to watch Germany - Poland in 30 minutes, and I hope it's going to be a good match.

The entire country is really excited, never saw that much black-red-gold before in my life! :)

Sonia, I just spoke to my sister Sonja (who lives in Stuttgart), and she saw France - Switzerland on one of these big public screens in Stuttgart. She said even though the match itself was boring, the atmosphere was great. Many fans from Switzerland and France were there to watch, and even some from Brazil who brought drums and were dancing Samba. :)

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-14-2006, 01:31 PM
who won brazil croatia? i mised that too. :o

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Brazil. But they didn't do too well, as far as I heard...

Kirsten

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, what a great match!! :) Exciting and fast, only the goals were missing - well, almost as Germany made the 1:0 in the 92nd minute.

Outside, I can hear the car horn sounds of people celebrating! :)

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, what a great match!! :) Exciting and fast, only the goals were missing - well, almost as Germany made the 1:0 in the 92nd minute.

Outside, I can hear the car horn sounds of people celebrating! :)

Kirsten
lol it was exciting!!!!! :D

Giselle
06-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Yup, Brazil won, but it wasn't very exciting.

AHHH! Poor Poland!! They were doomed the moment their player got red carded :( How depressing it must be to have a goal scored on you in the 92nd minute. Seeing the poor goalie slumped down on his knees was just too much. Good for Germany, though. It'll be a nice game if it comes out to GER vs. BRA again.

Kirsten
06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, yes, I feel kind of sorry for Poland, too. Their fans looked so sad in the end. For Poland, the World Cup is already over.

But Germany had so many scoring chances, especially in the second half, so I guess the 1:0 was long overdue.

Kirsten

Miss Z
06-15-2006, 01:19 AM
I have to give credit to the Polish goalkeeper, he made some fantastic saves under all that pressure:)

Kirsten
06-15-2006, 01:57 AM
I have to give credit to the Polish goalkeeper, he made some fantastic saves under all that pressure:)

Yes, he did, and he was really under pressure! But the entire Polish defense was great yesterday; the German offensive players really had a hard time. I thought they would never make it!

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
England vs. trin&tob is playing. they are playing well. trin&tob don't want england to win lol! i don't who i am going for in this one. but anyway i was wondering what the name of the channel you are watching it is. Here in the states or at least where i live it is called UNIVISION. That is like the only channel where you can get it live. it is in spanish though.

shihtzulover850
06-15-2006, 12:53 PM
England won! I feel sorry for Trinidad & Tobago. Poor guys they must be sad. :( But hey that is the world cup for you. :)

Anita Cholaine
06-15-2006, 01:04 PM
England-Trinidad & Tobago was a great match! I imagined England would win, but T&T really surprised me, since they played really well (considering that this is their first cup...)
England is surprising me too, because they aren't doing very well! English PTers, please forgive me, but I don't think this is England's year at all... :p

Kirsten
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, Trinidad and Tobago gave England a hard time, and I felt sorry for them in the end. I sort of expected a better match from England, but the second goal was awesome!

Kirsten

Miss Z
06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
LOL Natali, I was practically yelling at the TV, SCORE A GOAL YOU @*?&^£)<!!!! England seem to take a while to get into the goal-scoring mode:rolleyes: although I think Peter Crouch made a good comeback after such a terrible miss, and Gerrard's goal was fantastic. I could here cheers all the way down my street as he buried that goal, and there were many sighs of relief. Maybe this win will perk England up a bit from now on:)

but anyway i was wondering what the name of the channel you are watching it is. Here in the states or at least where i live it is called UNIVISION. That is like the only channel where you can get it live. it is in spanish though.

There are two channels to watch it on here, sometimes it's on BBC and sometimes it's on ITV. Today it was on ITV;)

shihtzulover850
06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
oh i have heard of the bbc. hhmmm sweden paraguay on right now. very interesting match. PAR-A-GUAY PAR-A-GUAY!!! Did you see that swedish guy shove the guy from paraguay?!?!?!

RICHARD
06-16-2006, 01:32 AM
lolololololol,

Where else can you cheer for KAKA!! :D

The spanish/mexican announcers are very good .
they keep a straight face as they do the Brazil games.

Aqui viene Kaka!

Caca is the world for doodoo in spanish....
To translate that line.....

Here comes Kaka!!

:D :eek: :confused: :cool:

beeniesmom
06-16-2006, 08:42 AM
YAY! Tomorrow is Italy vs. USA.
I can't wait to see the Italians kick some US A$$!
No offense, I LOVE AMERICA and I AM AMERICAN but I really care for the Italian team! :D

Anita Cholaine
06-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Argentina-Serbia and Montenegro is going on now, and we're winning 3-0! :D

BOBS DAD
06-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Anita,

...just curious - not that it matters. Were you born in Argentina or are you a transplant? Again... not really important - just a question??? 3-0... that's some high flying, high scoring stuff!!!! :D

Anita Cholaine
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Anita,

...just curious - not that it matters. Were you born in Argentina or are you a transplant? Again... not really important - just a question??? 3-0... that's some high flying, high scoring stuff!!!! :D

lol, you can ask whatever you want! I was born and lived all my life in Argentina :)

BOBS DAD
06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
lol, you can ask whatever you want! I was born and lived all my life in Argentina :)

COOL! I don't know too much about Argentina, but I always thought the name "sounded cool and exotic" - AR-GENT-TEENA... and now, Miss AR-GENT-TEENA... RAHHH, CLAP-CLAP-CLAP - and that it would be a beautiful country to visit one day!!!
:D :D :D

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
BTW, I heard that Victoria Beckham arrived in Germany now, and here's a joke going around these days:

Q:: Why do the Germans hope that England will stay in the tournament as long as possible?

A.: Because Victoria Beckham will boost the German economy by going shopping here! :D

Kirsten
LOL That is hilarious!!!! Oh my gosh!!! :D :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

Anita Cholaine
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
OMG, 6-0?!? :eek: I cannot even believe it myself!
And the match is still going on....

Kirsten
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, Anita - 6:0!!! :) What an impressive match! And that young Messi is really talented.

Guess now there's party everywhere in Argentina, right? :)

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Somebody's playing now??? Oh my gosh *runs to tv to check*

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Oh my gosh is that Argentina???? Wow they are doing so well!!!! :eek: :D :eek: Mexico Angola is playing later today. Can't wait to watch it!!!

Anita Cholaine
06-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, Anita - 6:0!!! :) What an impressive match! And that young Messi is really talented.

Guess now there's party everywhere in Argentina, right? :)

Kirsten

Yeah! although it's a really cold day, everybody is outside celebrating now! I rather stay warm in my house, browsing PT :p

I agree with you, Messi is only 19 years old, and he's already such a great player!

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh silly me you said it was cold today. I was wondering how it could be cold but you are south of the equator so your seasons are different duh. Silly me. It gets cold in Argentina? I didn't think it would. Hmm :D :)

Anita Cholaine
06-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh silly me you said it was cold today. I was wondering how it could be cold but you are south of the equator so your seasons are different duh. Silly me. It gets cold in Argentina? I didn't think it would. Hmm :D :)

Well... the temperature is about 10ºC (50ºF) now . Maybe you wouldn't consider that 'cold', but for us, it's quite freezing!

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
That isn't to bad! Ivory Coast and Netherlands I think are on now. Gonna go catch what of it I can! :rolleyes: :p ;) :)

shihtzulover850
06-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I was looking for the official website for the World Cup and I found it! Yay me! I was looking and looking for it! It is very handy when you can't find your game schedule! :p ;) :D If you need it it is right below:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/ hope it works.

Kirsten
06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
OMG, the Czech Republic is losing its match to Ghana, and it's such a great performance!!! :) 2:0 - yay!!!

After the Czech Republic : USA match I thought that the Czechs had a great team, but today, they are not doing so well. But Ghana is phantastic today! :D

Kirsten

shihtzulover850
06-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Ah well the US tied Italy! The referee was rather unfair though! They didn't do anything wrong with that goal! It was a great match! I am proud of the US! USA USA USA USA!!! :D :eek: :D :eek:

Kirsten
06-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Yes, they fought bravely, and the 1:1 was well deserved. What a crazy match it was, though. 3 red cards, this is something you don't see every day!

Anyway, I kept my fingers crossed for the US team, and I hope they will make it to the round of 16.

Kirsten

Cataholic
06-17-2006, 08:05 PM
US/Italy- we were WAY off sides on that goal, WAY. However, that ref totally stunk!!! That second red card was a sympathy card. Where was the foul? In the ref's head, only. Not a bad match considering we were down a man most of the game.

USA! USA! USA! :D

GoldenRetrLuver
06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Eh, USA doesn't stand a chance, in my opinion. :p

I'm reaaally looking forward to the Brazil vs. Australia game tomorrow. :D

shihtzulover850
06-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Very true but it is nice to go for the home team! I was surprised at how well they did with Italy. That last goal was clean and that ref just wanted us to lose :p. I missed the Brazil Australia game but Brazil won of course. That was expected. However I still think that Australia will go far. I don't think they will win it but oh well. :) Right now I am going for France. :) :D

primabella
06-18-2006, 04:23 PM
That last goal was clean and that ref just wanted us to lose :p.

It was offside.

I agree, the reffing was horrible and I found him unfair to both teams. I was really disappointed in Italy actually, especially since USA was a man down. Ugh.

But I'm rooting for them all the way. Forza Azzurri. :)

shihtzulover850
06-18-2006, 04:26 PM
It was really? hm I hadn't heard that. When the US leaves the Cup I will consider rooting for Italy! Right now it is Australia and the US! :D :D

primabella
06-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, I didn't know it was off side during the game - like I was just in my sad mood because I saw a goal go in for US. But I found out later on why it didn't count. And Cataholic said it here "we were WAY off sides on that goal, WAY." Hehehe.

It's awesome to be going for the home team. I'm just Italian ethnicity and I have good memories with supporting Italy for the tournaments and so I stick with them. :)

I love World Cup. How many flags are glued to cars down your street? Hehe.

beeniesmom
06-19-2006, 08:59 AM
USA-ITALY: What an embarrassment (spelling?)
The Italians were really not playing well and the referee , well.... no comment.
The US should have been sent home.
Italy really saved thier butt by "giving" them a goal.
The only good player the US has is the goalkeeper.
I have to admit he really did amazing things.
oh well....

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Well I must say the US did much better this time then they did with the czechs.

Cataholic
06-19-2006, 09:17 AM
USA-ITALY: What an embarrassment (spelling?)
The Italians were really not playing well and the referee , well.... no comment.
The US should have been sent home.
Italy really saved thier butt by "giving" them a goal.
The only good player the US has is the goalkeeper.
I have to admit he really did amazing things.
oh well....

BM- WAH! You AND my sister (who just returned to the US from IT) are on my last nerve!!! :D Neither team played all that well, but, the poor Americans were down a man.

USA! USA! USA! he he he...

Ciao, bella!

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Did you see that guy ELBOW McBride????!!!!!! Oh my gosh he was bleeding bad! Right in the face too!!!! I am glad he got red carded!!!!! If that had been done to me I would have been mad and full of determination to beat the Italians. Now I admit we did injure them some but not as bad as they made it out to be.

beeniesmom
06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
BM- WAH! You AND my sister (who just returned to the US from IT) are on my last nerve!!! :D Neither team played all that well, but, the poor Americans were down a man.

USA! USA! USA! he he he...

Ciao, bella!

You are bella too. :D
Isn't all this enthusiasm for the wonderfull sport of soccer great though!?
FIFA should have a World Cup every year! :)

Cataholic
06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Absolutamente! :D

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh yes I know!!!! I wish it was every year!!! That would be great. I just love sitting around the tv shouting GO GO GO GO GO! The excitement when your team gets a goal. Wow so thrilling!

shihtzulover850
06-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't get it. How on this planet can ANYONE find soccer/football boring?????? :confused: :eek:

RICHARD
06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
First of all,

The US played one man down for 40 minutes.

Their defense was good.
They played a gutsy game.

The adage in AMERICAN FOOTBALL is..

On any Sunday a truly bad team can beat a good team.

They tied a good team. It's not our fault we know which net is ours. ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-20-2006, 05:11 AM
In-ger-land, In-ger-land, In-ger-land.........sorry getting carried away!! 7 hours to kick off ;)

Miss Z
06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
COME ON EN-GER-LAND!!!

I found the video for Vindaloo on youtube, what a fantastic song!!!:p

beeniesmom
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
YEAH!!! Italy is winning againsts the Czecks with only 10 mins to go.
Sorry for the US againsta Ghana. Doesn't look too good.

smokey the elder
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh well. Now we have to wait to 2010 to try again.

One of the really neat things about the World Cup is the children escorting each player to the pitch. Is this unique to the Germany World Cup, or has this been done before? I don't remember it happening when the WC was held in the USA in 1994.

Giselle
06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Brazil!!!!!!! Ronaldo is back!!!! :D He is PHENOMENAL!!!! I remember watching him last World Cup and being absolutely mesmerized by his footwork. He was looking a bit sluggish during the first two games, but he is BACK. :D

Go BRAZIL!!!

Giselle
06-23-2006, 03:38 PM
:mad: !!!! WHY did the referee allow that second goal against KOR??? WHAT THE...??!?!? That goal was CLEARLY offsides. That is total, complete BS! :mad:

Husky_mom
06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh my...........on Saturday Mexico-Argentina is on!!

LOL so its like the only gals from Mexico and Argentina here are ME and NATALI !! LOL (i wont rivalrize with her at all, after all its just a game to have fun with....... ;) )

i know Argentina is a great team but i somewhat hope we win so we can play again in next round :p , in first place i wanted to get set up with Holland they have a different type of game from us at the other side of the puddle......LOL

Anita Cholaine
06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh my...........on Saturday Mexico-Argentina is on!!

LOL so its like the only gals from Mexico and Argentina here are ME and NATALI !! LOL (i wont rivalrize with her at all, after all its just a game to have fun with....... ;) )

i know Argentina is a great team but i somewhat hope we win so we can play again in next round :p , in first place i wanted to get set up with Holland they have a different type of game from us at the other side of the puddle......LOL

It will be a fun game to watch! :D And of course we won't rivalize, I hope both teams do well (but in the end I hope Argentina wins) :o

Killearn Kitties
06-23-2006, 06:49 PM
One of the really neat things about the World Cup is the children escorting each player to the pitch. Is this unique to the Germany World Cup, or has this been done before? I don't remember it happening when the WC was held in the USA in 1994.
Children as mascots are generally used in every game of football as far as I am aware. I don't think I have ever seen so many before - usually one per game as opposed to one per player. But I may be wrong, I don't follow football closely. Maybe someone else knows differently.

Kirsten
06-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Whoa!!!! Germany has reached the Quarter-Final!!!

You have no idea what's going here at the moment; the entire country is going crazy these days! :)

You see German flags everywhere; on the cars, and the houses.... Since Germany is a country with not much patriotism, this is really something special!

Even Reinhold (my mother's fiancé) has now a flag on his car:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/germany1.jpg http://www.catmom.de/pix/germany2.jpg

In a couple of hours, we will know who will be our opponent on Friday, but I'm pretty sure it will be Argentina!

Kirsten

Anita Cholaine
06-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Wow! What an awesome match! :D I suffered in front of the TV, and in many times, I thought Mexico would win, but we finally made it! Both teams did it great...

Go Argentina!!

I'm not so confident about the next match against Germany, though...

Miss Z
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm sitting tight for England at the moment, 1-0 up at the moment *touch wood* but by England's performance so far everything's a bit tense....

Congratulations Kirsten and Natali, I wonder who will win in that match? Argentina seems the stronger team, but Germany have been a little more consistant, should be interesting :)

RICHARD
06-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Well we know that Beckham can bend it....

I didn't know his could toss cookies like that! :eek:

cloverfdx
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Australia V Italy tomorrow eeiiiii i cannot wait. Can we have some good vibes for the Aussie's please everyone ;), i would realy love to see them win.

Kirsten
06-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Congrats to England!! That Beckham goal was awesome!!! :)

Yes, Germany will play Argentina on Friday, and I'm sure it's going to be tough. Argentina has a good team, and I'm not very confident that the Germans will reach the semi-final... But who knows, after all, they play much better than we all expected.

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-26-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm not very confident that the Germans will reach the semi-final...

Look for the 'twelfth player' to get Germany a win.

I am down to one team-Germany....so I have to say Go Aussies and England.

The goal that sunk Mexico was beautiful. :eek:

vinjashira
06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Congrats to England!! That Beckham goal was awesome!!! :)
3 goals in 3 different world cups - impressive :)

beeniesmom
06-26-2006, 08:54 AM
SOOOOOOOOOO exited for the game today.
GO ITALY!!!
Forza Azzurri!

Miss Z
06-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Anyone watch the Portugal v Holland match last night? OMG! It's a new FIFA record for the most number of red and yellow cards in one match. It was 9 men against 9 men at the end!:eek: There was a lot of fighting and bad tackles, poor Cristiano Ronaldo left the pitch in tears due to an injury from a terrible tackle by Boularouz.

Stiiiiilll, perhaps if Portugal have lost some of their better players, perhaps England will stand a better chance of getting to the semis? Hmmm, I'm not too confident in them any more, a mere 1-0 against Ecuador hardly shows us off :rolleyes:

beeniesmom
06-26-2006, 11:53 AM
OMG Italy just won!
Unbelievable. Last minute goal.
My heart is racing.

Kirsten
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Congrats, beeniesmom!! A penalty 10 seconds before the regular match was over - it couldn't be more dramatic!

I couldn't help but feeling sorry for Australia.

@Miss Z: I missed most of the Netherlands : Portugal match last night due to bad thunderstorms. tv tranmission was affected. But I heard about the 4 red cards. Unbeliavable!!

Look for the 'twelfth player' to get Germany a win.

@Richard: Would be nice if you were right! ;)

Kirsten

beeniesmom
06-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I couldn't help but feeling sorry for Australia.

I feel sorry too for the AUstralians but still..... wow.

cloverfdx
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
The boys are on their way home unfortunatly :(. Can't help but think we got ripped off somehow :(. Oh well it's only a game.

Kirsten
06-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Yep, it's sad! :(

BTW, I just read an article saying that David Beckham threw up during the last match against Ecuador. Being an emetophobic, I'm glad I've missed that particular scene on tv, but the article comes with a photo: :eek:

David Beckham throwing up (http://www2.onsport.t-online.de/dyn/c/83/15/78/8315780.html)

The article is in German, it says that Beckham couldn't stand the humidity and the heat in Stuttgart that day, and that he wasn't feeling well all day, but in the second half of the match, he got really nauseaus.

Well, at least he was able to make that beautiful goal before! :D

Kirsten

Miss Z
06-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Yep, it's sad! :(

BTW, I just read an article saying that David Beckham threw up during the last match against Ecuador. Being an emetophobic, I'm glad I've missed that particular scene on tv, but the article comes with a photo: :eek:

David Beckham throwing up (http://www2.onsport.t-online.de/dyn/c/83/15/78/8315780.html)

The article is in German, it says that Beckham couldn't stand the humidity and the heat in Stuttgart that day, and that he wasn't feel well all day, but in the second half of the match, he got really nauseaus.

Well, at least he was able to make that beautiful goal before! :D

Kirsten

They took a photo of THAT? ooooooooo-k :rolleyes: I actually understood most of that article. wow, the German must be coming on :D

The Ukraine - Switzerland match was so boring yesterday (no offence to anyone who may support those teams ;) ) The Swiss penalties were really bad. I'm quite glad Ukraine got through as I've got a pound riding on them to win in the school sweep, LOL:D

Kirsten
06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
They took a photo of THAT? ooooooooo-k I actually understood most of that article. wow, the German must be coming on

Yep, unbelievable that someone took a photo of it! Well, congrats on your German, even though I guess the article wasn't such a pleasure to read! ;)

BTW, one thing I don't understand: If he couldn't stand the heat, why was he playing in a shirt with long sleeves?

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
06-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Yep, unbelievable that someone took a photo of it!
Forgive me for being so disgusting, but given the hype that surrounds David Beckham, I'm only surprised that someone is not trying to sell it.

Kirsten
06-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Forgive me for being so disgusting, but given the hype that surrounds David Beckham, I'm only surprised that someone is not trying to sell it.

To sell what? The photo, or... ehm, well you know what!? :eek:

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-28-2006, 02:02 AM
[QUOTE=Kirsten]

BTW, one thing I don't understand: If he couldn't stand the heat, why was he playing in a shirt with long sleeves?

[QUOTE]

So he could wipe his mouth off.

I watched the replay of the game and he used the sleeves to wipe his mouth off...

What no one realizes is that the tradition is to trade your jersey with someone on the other team...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Killearn Kitties
06-28-2006, 03:08 AM
To sell what? The photo, or... ehm, well you know what!? :eek:
I didn't mean the photo.

primabella
06-28-2006, 11:24 AM
The upcoming games should be really exciting. :)

Argentina vs Germany
Ukraine vs Italy
Portugal vs England
Brazil vs France (especially this one. Weee. :D)

beeniesmom
06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
The upcoming games should be really exciting. :)

Argentina vs Germany
Ukraine vs Italy
Portugal vs England
Brazil vs France (especially this one. Weee. :D)

I KNOW!
I LOVE GERMANY and ARGENTINA so I don't know who to root for.
Ukraine vs. ITALY...... wellllllll I guess I LOVE ITALY!!!!
Portugal vs. England: GOOOOOOO ENGLAND WHOOOHOOOOO
Brazil vs. France: GOOOOOOO RONALDO GO BRAZIL!

These 4 matches will make my heart race!

EDIT: MAY THE BEST TEAMS WIN! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Barbara
06-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Kirsten I had no idea you were such a soccer addict ;)
I was glad I missed most of it in base- and basketball country (not that I ever understood any of those ;))

Kirsten
06-29-2006, 04:00 AM
@ Richard: How very disgusting!!! :eek: Well, he didn't play over the entire 90 minutes, so maybe he didn't trade his jersey with anyone - hopefully not!

@Barbara: Well, I used to be an addict in the early 80s (VfB Stuttgart). Always hated Bayern München, btw. These days, I'm only watching the big tournaments, and this time, the entire atmosphere is so positive that it's just addictive. :)

Kirsten

CultureJunky
06-29-2006, 04:34 AM
What do people think of the football overall?
I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed by the level of it, it seems quite poor compared to other world cups that have been before.
There doesn't seem to have been one particular player that has stood out for me, the world cup always makes at least one star, and I've yet to see it.
There has also been only a handful of great goals, the two in Germany's first match, Maxi's goal for Argentina, Joe Cole's goal for England and Gerrards....other than that I have to say I'm quite disappointed.
It's also a shame the refereeing has been so dire! It's funny cause FIFA were on about the refs were going to be very good this tournament and they've been worse than I've ever seen!! Bring back Collina!
I am glad they're clamping down on the diving, but I have to say the ref bought the penalty against Australia and Italy cheated blatantly. So I am NOT rooting for Italy at all, I do not like cheats, if you can't beat the man, tough, you don't go down and cheat! grrrrrrrrrr.
My respect for Henry has gone down too when he cheated and covered his face against spain which led to the free kick which they then won the match.
I HATE people who cheat. If the players are so skillful and are worth the ridiculous amounts of money they're on, then show me already!!!!! :p

beeniesmom
06-29-2006, 11:00 AM
I am glad they're clamping down on the diving, but I have to say the ref bought the penalty against Australia and Italy cheated blatantly. So I am NOT rooting for Italy at all, I do not like cheats, if you can't beat the man, tough, you don't go down and cheat! grrrrrrrrrr.
My respect for Henry has gone down too when he cheated and covered his face against spain which led to the free kick which they then won the match.
I HATE people who cheat. If the players are so skillful and are worth the ridiculous amounts of money they're on, then show me already!!!!! :p

You aren't biased at all I see. :rolleyes:
If it was the other way around I'm sure you would have "seen" it differently.
Do you play soccer? How can you tell REALLY if someone is injured? Only that person knows. I HATE people who are so drammatic about sports. It's a game. Get a grip and get over it.

Miss Z
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
People, people! It's *only* a game!

(How many times have I said that and caused a riot):p

I can see CultureJunky's point. If you can't play fairly, then why bother playing at all? It doesn't show skill and certainly doesn't do anything for character. But there are far more teams than Italy that have 'cheated' so far.

And everyone sees things differently. When Maradonna scored against England many years ago, there was huge uproar as they said the goal shouldn't have been allowed.
More recently, Peter Crouch scored for us against Trinidad & Tobago. We would say it was a great goal. Not long after the match, a picture emerged of the huge Peter Crouch holding down the Trinidad & Tobago defender in order to score his great header.

How could we have missed something we saw so clearly before, some might say.:rolleyes:

beeniesmom
06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Ms. Z,
I, like you, think it's just great fun and a sport.
Gosh I remember the Maradona thing too and it was..... how many cups ago?
Wow, what a memory! :)

Miss Z
06-29-2006, 12:04 PM
LOL, it was before I was born, 1986;) I was just brought up on how it was 'an outrage'. From my dad's words 'the Hand of God my ar$e':p

beeniesmom
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I was 10!

Barbara
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
@Barbara: Well, I used to be an addict in the early 80s (VfB Stuttgart). Always hated Bayern München, btw. These days, I'm only watching the big tournaments, and this time, the entire atmosphere is so positive that it's just addictive. :)

Kirsten

I would have guessed you were rather a Lion type (TSV 1860 ;))

Guess who has an appointment at the hairdresser tomorrow at 5 ;)

Killearn Kitties
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Gosh I remember the Maradona thing too and it was..... how many cups ago?
Wow, what a memory! :)
No, no, no. You misunderstand. Zara's memory is not that good (notwithstanding the fact that she wasn't born!), it's just that the English press still talk about that particular incident every time Argentina is mentioned! :D :D

And never mind 1986, they still talk about the time they won the World Cup in 1966 as if it were not only last week, but their rightful place to be. :D :D :D

DIANESDOGS
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on in a while, but I knew there would be a thread on the World Cup somewhere. I just love the game and get caught up in the fervor. Although, I must admit I do not normally follow until now!

Help me out though, a I am a relative newcomer to the sport and as you all know (and as Bob's Dad seems to have riled up some), Soccer is not as big in the States - WHAT IS the Hand of God???

Miss Z
06-29-2006, 01:35 PM
And never mind 1986, they still talk about the time they won the World Cup in 1966 as if it were not only last week, but their rightful place to be. :D :D :D

Ha ha, LOL, yes, it could be like yesterday by the way some people talk about it ;)

Soccer is not as big in the States - WHAT IS the Hand of God???

'The Hand of God' is how Diego Maradonna described his goal against England in 1986. The ball hit his hand before going into the net, and the goal was counted, The English fans were absolutely gobsmacked and completely rebelled against this. Maradonna replied by saying his goal was allowed by the Hand of God;)

CultureJunky
06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes it's fun and it is a sport, and yes I have played football. Members of my family play football as we speak. Football is a sport that requires skill like any other, and I like to see fair play. It's more entertaining when players use their talents and play good attacking football with flair, that's entertaining to watch.
My point was that if the individuals are talented enough to play the game then they should use thier talent, instead of relying on innocuous challenges to gain free kicks/penalties. It brings unfairness into the game.
I dislike cheating in anything, not just sport.
The thing is if it's your country that is in it (mine Wales,incidently didn't qualify) and you loose because somebody fakes and dives to win a penalty and you're knocked out it would leave a bitter taste in your mouth.
Maradone may be a genius, but the fact is and will remain forever that he cheated when he handballed the ball into the net against England.
England fans will never forget that, it's still spoken about now!
So it is fun and only a sport, but it's supported with passion and passionate fans, and if you asked most of them, they'd want to see a good clean fair game played.

RICHARD
06-30-2006, 12:22 AM
@ Richard: How very disgusting!!! :eek: Well, he didn't play over the entire 90 minutes, so maybe he didn't trade his jersey with anyone - hopefully not!

LOLOLOL..

Here's another observation....

why do the defenders put both hands in front of them on the penalty kicks? ;)

One of my fondest memories was going to a restaurant with my dad and watching a game when the cup was here in Lost Angeles.

what wonderful fans.

There was a story about a couple who rode bicycles from Uzbekistan to get and autograph from a player...

Those are fans! :D

beeniesmom
06-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes it's fun and it is a sport, and yes I have played football. Members of my family play football as we speak. Football is a sport that requires skill like any other, and I like to see fair play. It's more entertaining when players use their talents and play good attacking football with flair, that's entertaining to watch.
My point was that if the individuals are talented enough to play the game then they should use thier talent, instead of relying on innocuous challenges to gain free kicks/penalties. It brings unfairness into the game.
I dislike cheating in anything, not just sport.
The thing is if it's your country that is in it (mine Wales,incidently didn't qualify) and you loose because somebody fakes and dives to win a penalty and you're knocked out it would leave a bitter taste in your mouth.
Maradone may be a genius, but the fact is and will remain forever that he cheated when he handballed the ball into the net against England.
England fans will never forget that, it's still spoken about now!
So it is fun and only a sport, but it's supported with passion and passionate fans, and if you asked most of them, they'd want to see a good clean fair game played.

I understand but we really shouldn't get that upset. In the end, it the referee's that are not competent or that don't have 10 eyes to see everything. :(

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
It's funny that you still talk about the hand of God!:p I know it wasnt fair, but I don't think it should be taken so seriously. I mean, he scored it, the referee counted it, and that's all! It's all part of the game....
As a player, Maradona was awesome, but as a person, I don't like him at all. He's arrogant and selfish (this might be argentinians fault, for treating him like a "god") So that's why it doesn't surprise me that he cheated on that match...

Ok, let's move on... Argentina-Germany is going on now! :D Both teams are doing very well, and I have no idea how's it gonna finish... My favourite player is Tevez, he's just awesome.

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 11:03 AM
OMG, this match is so exciting, but I don't believe Germany can with this one!! :eek:

Kirsten

Miss Z
06-30-2006, 11:11 AM
LOLOLOL..

Here's another observation....

why do the defenders put both hands in front of them on the penalty kicks? ;)

LOL, ask any footballer, those free-kicks are taken with a very poweful kick....

1-0 Argentina so far

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 11:21 AM
The match is going really well by now. Any team could still win anyways...
I think Ayala's goal was beautiful :)

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, it was, even though I'm not too happy about it.

I hope David Odonkor can still turn the match around. At least they all play more offensive now after the 0:1.

Kirsten

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 11:32 AM
omg omg omg.
Argentina's keeper just got injured... This is a bit scary, especially if the math ends up in penalties :rolleyes:

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! Now we have penalties!! Germany was never lucky with those!!! :eek:

Kirsten

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 12:35 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! Now we have penalties!! Germany was never lucky with those!!! :eek:

Kirsten

LOL, you can't imagine how nervous I am! Abbondanzieri (Argentina's original keeper) is awesome in penalties, but I'm not sure about Franco...
Anything could happen now, so... good luck for both teams :)

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 12:46 PM
YAY!!!!!

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!! You should hear what's going on outside here!!!!

Anita, I was so nervous, too, and I'm sorry for Argentina!! Losing a match by penalties is never fair, and both teams were great!

In the end, the Germans were a bit more lucky, maybe because Abbondanzieri was injured.

I never expected this after the 0:1, but I'm so happy for my team!! The entire country will have a huge party tonight, it's already beginning. You should hear the people screaming outside, it's amazing!!! Wow, what a match!!! :)

Kirsten

Anita Cholaine
06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I can't believe we're out :( Well, at least I can be very proud of the team, they did it great all along the tournament... This match was really hard, and anybody could have won...

Now I have to wait to the next cup, on 2010, I guess :p

Barbara
06-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I had no chance but to get the result:
our neighbors have a huge party , like 20 people in the garden, TV outside, a makeshift tarp tent above the TV so it is not too bright to watch- and then the penalties: YaY!!!!!!!! ooooooooh! Yay.! ooohhh! ......until Yay! YAY! YAAAAAAYYYYYY! :p

I never was a good patriote if it comes to games but now with all my PT friends it's even worse: you know somebody in any country.

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Anita, I know how you feel!! http://www.sitecenter.dk/uniqueviking/nss-folder/smilies/hug.gif

During the entire match, I was almost sure that Argentina would make it, so I was already feeling like this -> :(

You're right, both teams fought hard, it was a very tough match, and you cannot say that anyone was better. I think it was just luck in the end.

Kirsten

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I had no chance but to get the result:
our neighbors have a huge party , like 20 people in the garden, TV outside, a makeshift tarp tent above the TV so it is not too bright to watch- and then the penalties: YaY!!!!!!!! ooooooooh! Yay.! ooohhh! ......until Yay! YAY! YAAAAAAYYYYYY! :p

I never was a good patriote if it comes to games but now with all my PT friends it's even worse: you know somebody in any country.

LOL, Barbara, same here with the garden parties!! :)

But it's true, as much as I'm happy about the results so far, I also feel sorry for those who cheered and hoped for the other teams.

Kirsten

Miss Z
06-30-2006, 01:10 PM
It was such a brilliant match, bad luck Natali! I thought Argentina were very likely to win the cup this year, but that's the fun of the world cup, you never quite know which way it's going to go! Congratulations Kirsten!

Ooooo I hope the England match isn't as scary for me as it was for you two!

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 03:44 PM
... Congratulations Kirsten!

Ooooo I hope the England match isn't as scary for me as it was for you two!

Thanks! :)

Ohhhh yes, this match wasn't too good for my nerves! LOL

BTW, people are still celebrating outside. :) You cannot imagine what's going on here! I was just downtown, and we wanted to go to an Italian restaurant, but it was closed - no surprise actually, because right now, Italy is playing. :)

Kirsten

beeniesmom
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
WE WOn 3-0 vs Ukraine!
AAALLLLLEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOO
AAALLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOO

MY HEART IS SO SWOLLEN WITH PRIDE!

GERMANY - ITALY
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!

The Germans are awesome but I am still rooting for ITALIA!!!!!
OMG OMG

primabella
06-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Woot woot to Cannavaro for taking one between the legs! Haha :D

YAY Italy advances! :D

beeniesmom
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Woot woot to Cannavaro for taking one between the legs! Haha :D

YAY Italy advances! :D

I know! I was in pain but giggling at the same time!

primabella
06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
I know! I was in pain but giggling at the same time!

He's hilarious - he laughed the whole thing off. Hahah

I'm afraid of Germany though.. I'm starting work next week so I'll miss the match. :( Hopefully, they'll put a TV up or something.

beeniesmom
06-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm afraid of Germany though...

Me too.... I have to admit. They are very motivated since the Cup is on thier turf!
However,..... I have a gut feeling and it's good!

Kirsten
06-30-2006, 04:28 PM
The German team surprised us all here! Nobody expected much from them before the World Cup started, but now after the victory over Argentina, it seems everything is possible. But we'll see. Italy has always been a tough opponent.

Kirsten

RICHARD
07-01-2006, 02:53 AM
@Richard: Would be nice if you were right! ;)

;)

Having gone to many sporting events there is one thing you can never, ever doubt.

Walking into a stadium where the home team plays is a magical event.

It's electricity, it's heart, it's soul, it's a a feeling I cannot explain.

You have no hand it what happens on the field.
Your voice, screams and adrenaline are the only thing you can add to the game.

when your team wins you ride a wave that is unreal.

You can walk on water, Fly with the birds, bend steel, move mountains...

You are invincible....

There is a sports saying here in the U.S. that some athletes use....

This is MY house.

Meaning that the guest teams are playing on the home teams turf.

----------------
Twelfth man?

No, I was wrong.
More like a whole country. ;)

Kirsten
07-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Twelfth man?

No, I was wrong.
More like a whole country.

Indeed!!! You have no idea what's going on here. This was my hometown last night:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/wm20.jpg

(photo has already been posted here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=107574) )

Right now, England and Portugal are playing, and it's nice watching relaxed and without being a nervous wreck! LOL

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
07-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Right now, England and Portugal are playing, and it's nice watching relaxed and without being a nervous wreck! LOL
I don't think that Brody's Mum and Miss Z will feel quite the same way at the moment, with Beckham substituted and England down to 10 men! Poor souls will be wrecks.

Kirsten
07-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't think that Brody's Mum and Miss Z will feel quite the same way at the moment, with Beckham substituted and England down to 10 men! Poor souls will be wrecks.

Oh yes! While watching the match, I was thinking of them, wondering how they are feeling! And now it looks like they're going through the same as we here yesterday!

Besides, I don't think the red card for Rooney was fair, and I wonder what's wrong with Beckham. Is he sick again?

Kirsten

Anita Cholaine
07-01-2006, 12:36 PM
OMG, not penalties again! This reminds me so much to yesterday's match...

Please, go England, GO!!

Killearn Kitties
07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Besides, I don't think the red card for Rooney was fair, and I wonder what's wrong with Beckham. Is he sick again?
I understand the stamping on someone's ehm ... "privates" is an automatic red card. They were certainly talking about Beckham coming off because of injury at the time. I don't know what the injury was though, that was the only bit of the game I saw.

Anita Cholaine
07-01-2006, 12:48 PM
I can't believe England is out! I knew it would happen though, the english looked so nervous in the penalties...

Now I'll be only rooting for Italia...

Kirsten
07-01-2006, 12:49 PM
They didn't mention an injury here in the German comment, just that he was exhausted.

Oh my, I found myself rooting for England in the end, but now they are out. It's sad, especially to lose a match that way.

Now I'll be only rooting for Italia...

Well, I certainly won't root for Italy on Tuesday! ;)

Kirsten

vinjashira
07-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I've got a lot of "what if" in my mind but at the end of the day England is out of the world cup :(

Miss Z
07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

I'm really sad and angry and it seems everyone in every household is swearing at the TV, but I'm not surprised. England have underperformed this world cup. They played pretty good in extra time but unfortunately it wasn't enough. Well done to Portugal, I wish them the best of luck in the semis. We'll have to wait another 4 years I suppose :( :rolleyes:

Still.....

OH MY ****** ****** ************!!!

Anita Cholaine
07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

I'm really sad and angry and it seems everyone in every household is swearing at the TV, but I'm not surprised. England have underperformed this world cup. They played pretty good in extra time but unfortunately it wasn't enough. Well done to Portugal, I wish them the best of luck in the semis. We'll have to wait another 4 years I suppose :( :rolleyes:

Still.....

OH MY ****** ****** ************!!!

I know exactly how you feel :( I really think England and Argentina should have stayed a bit longer...

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh no.......... . Why did that man not wait till he got the "all-clear" whistle???
Of course he was to nervous to give a good second try.... :(

I feel sorry for you, Denise....., you are such a great soccer-fan, so you must be deeply disappointed :(

Brasil-France now! I think the French will win, as Brasil didn't play really well in the previous matches... .

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Woohoo, France kicked Brasil out of the World Cup !!!! This was a GREAT match, with a well-deserved winner :)

Kirsten
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Wow, Brazil's out already! Who would have thought they wouldn't even reach the semi-final! After all, they are (still) the current world champion.

Congrats to France! :)

Now there are only European teams left...

Kirsten

RICHARD
07-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I understand the stamping on someone's ehm ... "privates" is an automatic red card.

And sometimes you get red 'privates' to remember your experience by.... :eek:

---------------

No more Kaka in the Cup...... :eek: ;)

--------------

The commentators were talking about the player who lost his father in the days leading to the Cup....

(I do not remember the player or the team-)
Before the game against Iran the Iranian players gave him flowers to honor his loss.

A simple game gets the world to forget the BS that keeps us apart. :confused:

beeniesmom
07-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I can't believe England and Brazil didn't advance.... :eek:
I believe the red card wasn't for stepping on the private parts but for the shove given to the portughese player right in front of the ref.
These last matches are certainly going to be interesting!

GO TO POLLS: I POSTED A POLL ABOUT.... WHO WILL BE THE WINNER?

Actually, here is a link:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108123

Kirsten
07-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Just voted... :)

Oh well, only 24 hours from here, and the match has already started. Can't wait! :D

Kirsten

Husky_mom
07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
And sometimes you get red 'privates' to remember your experience by.... :eek:

---------------

No more Kaka in the Cup...... :eek: ;)

--------------

The commentators were talking about the player who lost his father in the days leading to the Cup....

(I do not remember the player or the team-)
Before the game against Iran the Iranian players gave him flowers to honor his loss.

A simple game gets the world to forget the BS that keeps us apart. :confused:

oh Richard you always crack me up, you seem to have a funny way to say things :p

the player´s name is Oswaldo Sanchez and he is from MEXICO.... ;)

beeniesmom
07-04-2006, 04:37 PM
OMG OMG WE WON AGAIN!

Condolences to the German fans out there!

I am so happy I am crying.....

FORZA ITALIA!!!!

primabella
07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Oh wow.
Incredible goals. :D

It was total chaos over here with all the flags and honking and jerseys and everything! Insanely fun!

I'm so anxious to see who will advance tomorrow!

RICHARD
07-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Germany....

A great game.

Do not have heavy hearts..

As hosts you were wonderful.

Drew Carey is the host of a wonderful program on the Travel Channel..

Bring it home for third place...

Kirsten
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
We're all very disappointed here. It was a great match, both teams played well, and we were already expecting penalties - but then.... two goals in the last minute of the extra time are really devastating.

But congrats to Italy for being in the final!! Tonight, either France or Portugal will follow.

But I'm sad that the dream is over. The last weeks here were just incredible, the world cup fever has created such an positive energy that was all over the country, a corporate feeling I've never experienced before. It was just nice, seeing everyone with those flags, being a part of the whole thing, and I would have loved to see this going on for a few more days.

But it wasn't meant to be.

Kirsten

beeniesmom
07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Thank you for the Congratulations Kirsten.
You are a great sport.
I too, cannot believe what happened in just a few short minutes.
I was truly convinced we were going to the penalty kicks.... and lose.

I won't be able to see the match today because I am at work.
Keep me posted.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Maya & Inka's mommy]I feel sorry for you, Denise....., you are such a great soccer-fan, so you must be deeply disappointed :( QUOTE]

I'm disappointed but proud of how they stuck at it in the second half

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108319

Going to be yelling for France to win tonight ;)

RICHARD
07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
We're all very disappointed here. It was a great match, both teams played well, and we were already expecting penalties - but then.... two goals in the last minute of the extra time are really devastating.

Being a huge sports fan I always have to ask..

Had Italy scored those goals in the first minute how would the game been changed?

I guess my question is,

Is it better to lose at the end or play 2 goals down from the beginning? :(

Husky_mom
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
i think if it were in the beginning you still had 80 something minutes to change that but in the very last minutes overtime thats that......

i heard it was 1:0 in the France Portugal match........ is it still that way??

beeniesmom
07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Being a huge sports fan I always have to ask..
Had Italy scored those goals in the first minute how would the game been changed?
I guess my question is,
Is it better to lose at the end or play 2 goals down from the beginning? :(

I don't think it would have made a difference.
Both teams gave 100% and were exhausted by that time.
It really was anyone's game.
I would feel the same had Italy lost.

Kirsten
07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I think 2 goals down from the beginning is easier because you're more prepared. And there's still a chance your team might turn the match around.

Kirsten

RICHARD
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
i think if it were in the beginning you still had 80 something minutes to change that but in the very last minutes overtime thats that......

i heard it was 1:0 in the France Portugal match........ is it still that way??

FINAL........France wins.

Kirsten.

Years ago I bought some tickets to a baseball game, at the end of the season.
as it turned out my team played the first place team to end the season, they were behind by three games with three to play.

Fiday night they won, I was there
Saturday, they won, I was there,
I had to work on Sunday, so just as I walked into the office they won the game..

There was a one game playoff that they miserably lost by 7 points....

But it was fun anyway! :rolleyes:

Kirsten
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, tonight, it's Germany : Portugal in Stuttgart for the 3rd place, and then there's only the final in Berlin tomorrow, Italy : France. And on Monday, the entire adventure is over.

We're hoping our team will win tonight, but still, the Germans are sad that they have missed the final. Funny thing is, all through the tournament, we had the loveliest summer weather (too hot for me, actually), but after Germany was defeated, the weather changed, and we have a lot of rain.

I took this photo today, it's sort of symbolic. During this World Cup, we have learnt to wear our flags with pride and joy, now they are down in the pouring rain... ;)

http://www.catmom.de/pix/regen1.jpg

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
07-08-2006, 03:17 PM
From the shouts downstairs, I suspect that Germany have just gone one up! It's great that so many have turned out to support their team in the play offs.

I expect that Lily is at the match?

Barbara
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
You up there in Northern Germany may have rain- we in the South still have the best weather ever.
I liked the good atmosphere all that brought over to our country. I feel most people had not expected our team to go so far. Of course I'm NOT watching the game- as I didn't see the others either ;)

Killearn Kitties
07-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Only one more to go, Barbara, and the fever will be over for another four years. :D

Well apart from the Europeans, all the club championships, the normal league games .. blah de blah de blah ...

Kirsten
07-08-2006, 04:02 PM
3:1 - Germany won!!! :)

They were wonderful tonight, if they had only played like this in the semi final! *sigh* But then again, you're always as good as your opponent allows you to be. One last time, we hear the car parades outside (well, unless the Italian community here has a reason to celebrate tomorrow).

Only one match left (the final), and everything is over. Like Barbara has said, this World Cup has brought a great and positive atmosphere to our country, and even when you're not too much interested in soccer, it has infected you. It was phantastic, and I'm sad that it's over now.

http://onsport.t-online.de/c/84/10/15/8410156,tid=i.jpg

Kirsten

Kirsten
07-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Anyone here watching the final? It's live on tv right now. And what a dramatic start! France is already leading 1:0 (by penalty)!

Kirsten

Randi
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I saw the last 20 min. of it. It's France/Italy - 1-1, so extra time is just starting now. I really don't know who to cheer for.

Well, since it's the final, it IS exiting, so I may stay awake. ;)

In 92, Denmark won, what a great atmosphere in town, John and went out in town and everywhere "We are the champions" were played. It really was special! :)

Also, my mom used to watch all the football games, and I'm glad she got to see it before she died.

Kirsten
07-09-2006, 03:20 PM
OMG, till now, I also wasn't sure who to root for, but geez, I cannot believe what Zidane just did!!! :( And it was his very last match!! I can only shake my head about this.

The Italians look tired, but now I'm supporting them!

BTW, Randi, I remember the Danish team of 1992! They were phantastic, a pleasure to watch!

Kirsten

Kirsten
07-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Congrats Italy!!!!!

Randi
07-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, what a totally stupid thing Zidane did! Good grief! :rolleyes:

Wasn't it exiting! My legs would have been like gele, had I had to shoot one of the last! :eek: And they must all have been really tired!!

beeniesmom
07-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Congrats Italy!!!!!

THANK YOU!
I can't express how happy I am.... and proud!
Wow, what a feeling. I still can't believe how the whole match evolved.
I feel bad that a champ like Zidane went out like he did.
I think both teams played well.
YAY ITALIA!
I wish I knew how to do the colored animation too!

I LOVE ITALIA!

Anita Cholaine
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
YAY for Italia!!

I feel a bit sad for France, but OMG, I can't believe what Zidane did! He was known for being such a calm person, and he did that on his last match! :eek:

Karen
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
YAY for Italia!!

I feel a bit sad for France, but OMG, I can't believe what Zidane did! He was known for being such a calm person, and he did that on his last match! :eek:

Yes, so strange! No wonder that he got ejected, but not a way you want the world to remember you!

cyber-sibes
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Congratulations Italy!

I feel bad for the French team, they looked really disheartened. If only Zidane hadn't had that moment of insanity...

Kirsten
07-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Through the entire match, I had the feeling that France would make it in the end. They just seemed to have more strength and energy left; Italy looked exhausted. Zidane's action broke the team's neck, I think...

Well, this was a final appearance that will always be remembered. But I don't think he wanted to be remembered this way... :confused:

Kirsten

moosmom
07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I live one block over from New Haven's "Little Italy". There have been TONS of cars driving around the neighborhood honking their horns and waving the Italian flag. That's how I found out Italy won!!

primabella
07-09-2006, 07:24 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fifa/20060709/i/2633792397.jpg

That game was intense. I think I went into labour twice. :p

I just lost all respect for Zidane. I always had the impression he had a lot of class, but I think that headbutt ended it for not only his reputation of MVP, but for France's chances of winning. It broke their morale.

The penalty kicks absolutely killed me, especially since Buffone wasn't saving any of them. But wowwww. Great finish for the Italians!

I mean I couldn't help feeling sorry for France but then flashbacks of Euro 2000 came back and well, you know.. :p

todd
07-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Congratulations Italy! party time

Miss Z
07-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Well done Italy! I thought France had plenty of chances to score in the second half, but when they were in the perfect position to score, they seemed to stop and let the defenders take it away from them. It seems a shame that they could penetrate Italy's great defence only to waste it all.

And Zidane, OMG! What a way to end a career. I'd just gone to get a coffee, came back into the living room and saw all the players crowded round the referee, even the commentaters didn't know what was going on. Then there was that camera shot of that head butt, and I half laughed and stood half in awe. You would think he'd know better than to do that and I bet he feels bad this morning seeing as the world cup was lifted by the Italians.

Once again, congratulations Italy!:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-10-2006, 03:20 AM
I was cheering for France, as they were really playing VERY good!! But stupid Zidane had to spoil it for his team; what a mean and selfish thing to do!! I feel sorry for them!

Kirsten
07-10-2006, 03:56 AM
primabella, what a cute photo! It's nice to see how happy they are! :)

Lut, I also feel sorry for the French team. How stupid of Zidane to ruin it all for them! I wonder what he's going to do now. He didn't even show up when they got their medals...

Well, now it's the first day after 4 weeks of complete madness! ;) Sort of boring now, and sad that this huge party is over. I don't know if you realized what has happened here, but it's truly phenomenal what happened here in this country. A country that's in a deep depression facing of unemployment, tax increases, a crashing health system and so on woke up and united it a sea of black red and gold, and fans from all these different countries celebrated together, peacefully most of the time. I really think Germany was a good host country, positive and friendly, and I think our guests from all over the world felt comfortable here and will remember the good time they had.

I did never expect such a positive energy before the tournament began, nor did I expect the young German team performing so well, and spreading such a positive team spirit. We call them the "World Champions of Hearts" here! :)

Yesterday, they went to Berlin to say "Danke" (thank you) to all the fans for their tremendous support. I just have to share some of the impressions, it was just great, really touching and moving:

The German team saying thank you to the fans:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin3.jpg

Bastian Schweinsteiger supporting the band that played our most popular World Cup song "54, 74, 90, 2006" on the drums (Since Germany has NOT won the title this time, the song is now called "54, 74, 90, 2010"):

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin2.jpg

The team singing along with Xavier Naidoo, one of our most popular singers, whose song "Dieser Weg" ("this way") has inspired the team:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin4.jpg

The sign says "We are the Champions of Hearts":

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin5.jpg

David Odonkor, Lukas Podolski and Gerald Asamoah are singing for the fans:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin6.jpg

Oliver Kahn and Torsten Frings with a huuuge beer:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin7.jpg

Michael Ballack and Bastian Schweinsteiger singing:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/berlin8.jpg

LOL; please forgive me for sharing this!

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
07-10-2006, 04:06 AM
:D They did an incredibly good job for such a young team and they deserve their moment of glory.

As a host country, Germany quite clearly did a magnificent job. You are so right that guests from all over the world enjoyed the positive and friendly atmosphere, and felt comfortable.

I think South Africa has a very tough act to follow.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Now what am I going to do???? :(

cavylove
07-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Italy are the champs! Yaaaaaah:D

beeniesmom
07-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Primabella, that is such a cute photo.
I laughed when I saw them do that on TV.

Kirsten,
You have a wonderful country and I am happy I got a chance to visit it in January, even for a few days. Thanks for posting your pictures as well.
Germany was a wonderful host. South Africa will have a rough time filling your shoes in the next World Cup.

:)

smokey the elder
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Germany should be very proud of its hosting duties and its performance in the World Cup. Congratulations to Italy for the victory! I was blown away that Zidane would flout the laws of soccer by doing such a nasty foul, in his last game, yet.

Kirsten
07-10-2006, 01:51 PM
As a host country, Germany quite clearly did a magnificent job. You are so right that guests from all over the world enjoyed the positive and friendly atmosphere, and felt comfortable.

I think South Africa has a very tough act to follow.

Yes, they say they have problems with the stadiums and security, but still have 4 years to work on it. Being the first African country that hosts the World CUp is a great chance for South Africa!

Now what am I going to do????

Brody's Mum, I'm feeling the same today. I really got used to watching football every day, and it was fun. Now something's missing.

Kirsten,
You have a wonderful country and I am happy I got a chance to visit it in January, even for a few days.

Thanks! :) I think many visitors were surprised about how friendly and warmhearted people were. At least this is what I read in an article today. They also didn't expect such a sunny and warm weather! LOL

Germany should be very proud of its hosting duties and its performance in the World Cup.

Thanks! I guess we are a bit proud these days. But also a bit sad because it's over.

Kirsten

BOBS DAD
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
I must agree. Germany did a fantastic job of hosting the World Cup. Everything seemed to go quite smoothly and without any hitches. I heard lots of very positive things from those who follow soccer more closely.

But I can't end with just that - I must sound off again!!! HOW CAN SOCCER BE THE WORLD'S FAVORITE SPORT???

IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
Sorry, I feel asleep with my finger on the Keyboard - BORING.

Really, the announcers are just grasping at things to talk about while nothing is happening on the field (which is most of the time). I have a theory about soccer - it is really only fun to watch when the player are really not that good. Like when little kids play. They make mistakes, forget which goal is theirs and sometimes just get "too tired" to defend or chase after the ball. A single good kid can dribble the ball the length of the field and score.

When the players start getting good, then all the fun in watching the game goes away. They are "too good". For 90 minutes, no-one can score! And they never get tired. They don't forget where they are supposed to be playing. Nobody ever "intentionally" kicks the ball into their own goal, because they forgot what they were doing.

Heck, I think I could play soccer. I mean, I could go out and run up and down the field for 90 minutes and accomplish "nothing". JMO!!! :rolleyes:

beeniesmom
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
HOW CAN SOCCER BE THE WORLD'S FAVORITE SPORT???

The world is bigger than the good ol' United States. :D
Just because it's not that popular in the States doesn't mean that the rest of the world can't be enthusiastic about it.

Believe it or not :eek: Football and Basketball are not very popular in Europe. Infact, most Europeans find American Football especially boring because the game stops every few seconds. Zzzzzzzzz

I am truly blessed to have been able to visit many and LIVE in different countries and see, live and respect the cultural differences and understand them too.

Uabassoon
07-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Really, the announcers are just grasping at things to talk about while nothing is happening on the field (which is most of the time). I have a theory about soccer - it is really only fun to watch when the player are really not that good.

You have to watch it on a Spanish network, even if you don't speak spanish I swear it makes the game much more interesting. My girlfriends father was over here and I made him watch one of the games on Telemundo and he loved that even though he had no clue what was being said the announcers sure were excited about everything!

Infact, most Europeans find American Football especially boring because the game stops every few seconds.

That's why I hate Amercian Football! I can't follow the game because they keep on stopping. That's why rugby is the best sport!

Randi
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Good grief! Let's hope Zidane don't have a cat and give these kind of headbumpies!! :eek:

Killearn Kitties
07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I must admit, I thought it was hysterical this morning when I saw that Zidane had been voted best player of the tournament. :D The votes were all in before last night's match, of course.