PDA

View Full Version : Dogs & Rabbits

mannix
02-20-2001, 10:22 AM
Hello all. I am hoping some pet lovers can help me with a problem. I really, really want to adopt an older dog. The problem is, I have 2 indoor pet rabbits. My concern is that the dog will try to attack the rabbits. I have heard that I have to raise a puppy with the rabbits, or there is no way the three will be able to get along. Is this true? I have seen some postings on this website about dogs and rabbits living in harmony. Can some of you please write in and give me your opinion on the matter? I would rather not get a puppy, but if I have no other choice . . .

Angels3
02-20-2001, 08:48 PM
I don't know how useful this idea will be...but here goes! Have you thought of getting an older dog from an animal refuge or a rescue organization? But only consider a dog whose past history is known & who has been observed for some time interacting with the other animals. For example, a particular dog might have come from a background where it lived peacefully with other animals, including rabbits. Or the dog might have interacted peacefully with rabbits while staying at the refuge/rescue facility.

carrie
02-21-2001, 08:35 AM
Our present dog was a rescue and was two when we got him. He'd never been in a car or a house and has lived peacefully with cats and guinea pigs and even birds flying free in the house.
We also had a Greyhound that had a fantastic racing career and when she retired we bred from her, after that she become a house pet and we had several cats and a rabbit in the house. She was very laid back and gentle as is the dog we have now - I think the trick is in setting the rules before the dog walks into the house, making sure everything is safe and then making no bones about what the rules are - if it's wrong tell the dog in no uncertain terms and be very aware for the first few weeks of what is going on.

ilovehounds
02-21-2001, 08:42 AM
Hi, I have a beagle that was raised with rabbits and she would never harm them in any way. And I also have a beagle basset cross that I rescued at the age of 3 and I have no problem with him and my rabbits, I have three of them. I think its best if you find a dog that has a history with other small animals and only let them together when you are around for the fist while. You can try having the rabbits in a cage in the middle of the room and see what the dog thinks of them first, if he doesn't bother with them, let the rabbits out and keep an eye on them for a while, I would NEVER leave them together in the same room if you are not at home even if you think the dog would never hurt them, you just never know what could happen :0)
Good Luck in finding your dog!

mannix
02-21-2001, 10:07 AM
Thank you all very much. That was very helpful, and it gives me hope!

nursie
02-24-2001, 09:24 PM
To be successful with this, you need to be very careful regarding the breeed of dog and temperment of the dog you try this with . My boxers would have rabbit snacks in about 2 min. if I tried this.

imasmartie
03-18-2001, 03:33 PM
i race greyhounds and i try to rehome the retiered ones. 2 months ago i rehomed one to a couple and they had three cats and 4 pet rabbits two which are in doors. and two months down the line there are all getting on. it all goes on how well you introduce them.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif

b10OML
03-18-2001, 04:28 PM
I think that a you are more likely to have problems with a dog that has been bred for coursing. You are less likely to have probs with a herding or companion dog. However as the others have said, virtually any dog will be OK, if you are teach your new pet well.

You can read via (say) Smiths or library the temperament and history of the breed before you get a dog.

I fact it is a good idea to do this whether you have a rabbit or not.

Also remember that dogs and cats can be possesive about their food. So careful Bunny is sniffing round Rover's food