PDA

View Full Version : I've discovered canoeing

slleipnir
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Anyone like to canoe?

I'm still at the farm, and the first time I took the canoe out (2 person one) alone, I sorta drifted down the store. I decided I wouldn't try again. However, I did, on a less windy day and it was fine. It's very peaceful, especially out here.

There is a sandbar that takes about 15 mins to row out to. It is always there (IE, tide doesn't cover it) I rowed out there today, and it was so nice and relaxing. I took a book and some music and some munchies and spent a coupl hours there. (I got a bad burn :() It's like having your own private beach. It's big, too. I felt "alone", but in a good way.

Anyway, off topic. The water was very still today and made for a relaxing row. Anyone else like this?

Alysser
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
I LOVE BOATING! I do kayaking, not conoeing. But I'm sure canoeing is pretty similar. I enjoy it so much. It's sometimes hard to paddle though after 8 hours of it.

Karen
06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Love canoing! It's quiet, peaceful, and easier to spot the turtles on the riverbank, or the herons in the reeds, you can paddle hard, or just drift ... but I know well enough to always wear sunscreen! ;)

finn's mom
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
That's something I really want to get into. I learned to kayak this summer, and I love it. Can't wait to get a kayak of my own. But, a canoe would be awesome, because I'd love to comfortably take Finn with me. ;) It's such a good workout if you want it to be, but, totally peaceful at the same time.

Uabassoon
06-07-2006, 09:03 PM
That's something that I would love to try someday! But I live in a desert with no water in sight, but maybe someday on a vacation I'll be able to try it.

Karen
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
That's something that I would love to try someday! But I live in a desert with no water in sight, but maybe someday on a vacation I'll be able to try it.

Come to Boston sometime (edited to add May-September)! I'll take you canoeing on the Charles River!

It rained all day today again - early this spring the riverbanks were down lower than usual, but they're above usual now! No drought here!

BC_MoM
06-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I love canoeing! I don't get to do it much anymore though.
I find it so relaxing! :)

Roxyluvsme13
06-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Ahh.. Canoeing, brings back some funny memories :D. I like it if I'm not the one rowing, :o. Yeah, I'm pretty lazy. :p

Glacier
06-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't canoe, but I love my sea kayak. I use it several times a week until the ice comes back. I find water very relaxing!

Russian Blue
06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I always use the canoe when I'm at the cottage. I usually get up pretty early in the morning and go out. It feels like I have the whole lake to myself and it's like being in a different world. But then by 9am or 10am the larger motor boats come out and wreck the peace.

I hope to get a kayak maybe this year or next year as well. It looks like you're really enjoying the farm. What a great experience for you! :)

slleipnir
06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Haven't had a lot of time to read PT stuff, so I only got to this now.

I would love to try kayaking. Looks fun too. The weather here has been good for canoeing though. I went out tonight and the water was really calm...the tide was out, again, so the water was shallow, but still able to paddle. It's so relaxing. Tonight, the bugs were BAD, so that sucked...

DugansDad
06-12-2006, 09:22 PM
We spend a lot of time in our canoe fishing, just paddling, or going down the Flathead River. Have plans to make a cedar strip canoe towards this coming fall (time permitting). Right now have a 15' Coleman.