PDA

View Full Version : Dustless Cat Litter

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I know cat litter has been covered a million times, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a truly dustless litter? I don't know why, but my allergies are acting up rather severly lately - and my allergies aren't seasonal - and ALL I can smell these days is litter dust, from the time I wake up until the time I fall asleep. I'm currently using Small Spaces by......ach, I can't remember right now....and when I first started using it, I thought it was relatively dust free. But now when I scoop, I can see the dust clouds....maybe this batch was just more dusty than the others, I don't know, but it's gotta go! I just recently put baking soda in to help a bit, so I'll see how that goes.

And for the record, I've never tried the Feline Pine, but from the way it's been described here, I really don't think I want to try it. I also haven't tried any of the wheat based ones, so if anyone has any recommendations in reference to them, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks so much. <as once again I sneeze my brains out!> :eek: :rolleyes:

Craftlady
06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Other than using newspapers (shredded) for your litter, I dont think a product is made that doesnt have some dust.

slick
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Debbie: mine is almost completely dustless. I use Feline Fresh clumping. I believe it's the same as your Feline Pine pellets but they are all ground up so it's easily clumped. Here's the link.

http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/felineSc.htm

I'm absolutely sold on this stuff and will not use anything else ever again...and it's flushable.

Lizzie
06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
World's Best, which is corn based, is a wonderful litter and I wish I could afford to keep using it. I don't see any dust when I pour it into the pan, nor when I scoop. The clumps are as hard as clay litter clumps so scoop up is clean.

I've been using SWheatScoop (wheat based, obviously) for several months but, although the dust is not as bad for me or the cats as clay dust, it is still dusty. The lower part of the bag, and then of the pans, looks like flour and so makes the worst dust. I doesn't clump all that well either. I keep using it because it's healthier than clay-based and cheaper than World's Best.

Sevaede
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Why is Feline Pine out of the question? It attaches to the poo, there is no dust... It's great. :D

angelkitty023
06-08-2006, 01:42 AM
i use newpaper my kitties do it on the just change like 2-3 times day
plus throw away gloves i put when i change it
that newpaper is cheaper NO DUST
THIS BETTER ANY LITTER DUST

I know cat litter has been covered a million times, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a truly dustless litter? I don't know why, but my allergies are acting up rather severly lately - and my allergies aren't seasonal - and ALL I can smell these days is litter dust, from the time I wake up until the time I fall asleep. I'm currently using Small Spaces by......ach, I can't remember right now....and when I first started using it, I thought it was relatively dust free. But now when I scoop, I can see the dust clouds....maybe this batch was just more dusty than the others, I don't know, but it's gotta go! I just recently put baking soda in to help a bit, so I'll see how that goes.

And for the record, I've never tried the Feline Pine, but from the way it's been described here, I really don't think I want to try it. I also haven't tried any of the wheat based ones, so if anyone has any recommendations in reference to them, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks so much. <as once again I sneeze my brains out!> :eek: :rolleyes:

moosmom
06-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Slick,

I was just going to suggest the Feline Pine Clumping. I just bought a bag this weekend but haven't used it yet. I'm going to clean the boxes tonight and try it out. I think my cats will like it better than the pellets, although they were great too.

I have one question though. How long does it last?? Do you just add more when you scoop??

slick
06-08-2006, 08:03 AM
For starters Donna, because there is no "clay", it doesn't stick to the sides or the bottom of the litterbox. Easier to scoop and the box is easier to clean. Also, because I only have one cat now, I've been using the same 17 lb bag for over 4 months. When I clean the litterbox, I only throw away half the litter instead of all of it.

Max only outputs two pee biscuits and a tootsie roll or two per day so I scoop and flush in the morning and the evening. No, I don't put more in everyday.....maybe once every 3 weeks or so. Having only one cat does have it's advantages.

The only drawback to Feline Fresh is that it tracks really badly. The litterbox room really should be vacuummed every couple of days but I only do it once a week when I'm housecleaning.

It smells terrific and no dust.

moosmom
06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Slick

Believe it or not, my cats track the pellets. It's a real pain in the butt when I'm going to take a shower (my bathroom is very small and I only have 2 boxes for 4 cats) and step all over them (they hurt). They also track the dust once it breaks down, so tracking is a given at this point. I have to totally dump the boxes once a week. But I don't mind.

Can't wait to try it.

catmandu
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
If I could afford it I would use the Multi Cat Clumping Litter.
It virtually dustless, and you never get a litter box odor.
Its in the boxes now as I thought it would make a good impression for the inspection.
I use The Pet Valu Clumping ,as thats an excellent Litter too.

lizbud
06-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Have you ever tried Nature's Miracle litter? I had a coupon for a 10lb
bag to try for free. It is almost completely dust free. I tried it & liked it
a lot. Also great for keeping down smells. I don't use it all the time because
of the price, but it's good stuff. ......

http://www.petcarecentral.com/nm-05310.html

Lobodeb
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
What about those crystals that I see at PetSmart?

I've never tried them, but just a thought.

moosmom
06-08-2006, 09:49 AM
SwheatScoop is very good too. I've used it when Mattie Grace had her babies and there was NO dust at all. It's expensive but worth it if it cuts down on your allergies, Deb.

Russian Blue
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
If you want no dust...go with the crystals. Unfortunately, I tried them with Nakita and she had a bad reaction on her paws. The skin literally dried up on the pads of her paw. :eek: So that didn't work for us. Plus they are expensive.

I tried World's Best but I found it *really* dusty. I seem to have had the opposite experience from everyone else. When Nakita would finish in the litter box she would jump on the bed, table, chair and leave really dusty pawprints. I would go to bed and I would have Nakita's pawprints left on my pillow. Not exactly the thing I want to see right before I lay my head down on the pillow. Ick!

I'm currently using Swheat Scoop. I would not recommend it for more than a one cat households unless you mix another brand of litter in with this one. Some people in multicat households have commented that they have odour problems with this one alone. I know some people will mix World's Best and Swheat Scoop together to solve the problem. I find it less dusty than World's Best and it works for us.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much everybody. I've tried to find the Feline Fresh that Slick mentioned, but no luck. I did find, and I think Donna mentioned, that Feline Pine comes in scoopable form now, but I couldn't find that either. :confused:

So I was standing in front of the litter at PetSmart yesterday for almost 1/2 hour, reading and trying to decide which one I wanted to waste my money on ;) to try. I finall decided on a brand called Pa-Purrr or something like that. It's paper, is clumpable and looks and feels like the clay clumpable to the kitties. The only thing I was leery about what the comment "Light Fresh Scent" which I could smell a little bit in the store. I cleaned out one litter box this morning and dumped the Pa-Purrr in - NO dust whatsoever! Whoo hooo! I'm onto something here! Then the "Light Fresh Scent" hit me and I about fell over! Imagine wet old newspapers doused in real stinky perfume...... :p Hopefully the smell will dissipate a bit as it sits in the box today. Peanut came in, headed right for the box, stopped, tentatively sniffed, tentatively stepped in, then it must have felt normal because she just went about her business and everything seemed find.....until she stepped out of the box and what appeared to be about half the litter in the box came with her on her feet. :rolleyes:

So, preliminary indications are this is not the right choice for a permanent solution, but it is dustless, so I'll give it a chance....at least until I can find some of the scoopable pine stuff.

PS - I almost went with the Crystals, but it keeps mentioning silica on the label and for some reason I just don't think silica and kitty innards will mix too well. But it can't be harmful to them or they wouldn't be able to sell it, would they? This is all so confusing..... :confused: :rolleyes:

Lizzie
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
I thought PaPurr was a great choice at first, and even bought a second bag, thinking that I would get used to the strong ink smell - I never did. The reason I stopped using it, though, was because the last batch I bought contained litter that didn't clump as well as the first and fell apart into soggy droplets all over the clean litter as I tried to scoop. I ended up using paper towels to scoop the stuff out. The cats did like it, and it is pretty much dustless. Will they EVER develop the perfect litter for all of us, cats and humans?!

rosethecopycat
06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Have you ever tried Nature's Miracle litter? I had a coupon for a 10lb
bag to try for free. It is almost completely dust free. I tried it & liked it
a lot. Also great for keeping down smells. I don't use it all the time because
of the price, but it's good stuff. ......

http://www.petcarecentral.com/nm-05310.html

$18.42 for 10 lbs!!!!!
:eek:

Let's see I use about 100lbs a month, that's $180. Wow.

I use Scoop Away clumping. It's $6 for 20lbs, on sale.
I found that they changed their formula, and it is now incredibly DUSTY!

I need to shop for another brand, after 6 years.

I use Swheatscoop for tiny kittens, and I've used the crystals for sick cats.
After using them, I can't wait to get back to the regular clumping litter. :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Wooo hoooo!!!! I found some of the scoopable Feline Pine. Where? At my local grocery store of all places. :rolleyes: I search ALL the nearby pet stores like PetSmart and such, and no one had it. I rarely go down the pet aisle at the grocery store but thought what the heck, and sure enough, there it was!

I brought it home and immediately dumped out 90% of all the clay litter. I left a bit in so it wasn't a total change and too confusing for the snots. Peanut evidently really liked it because she immediately "christened" every single box (3) and then started on a "big dig" in the biggest of the boxes. She spent at least an hour in there, digging and flinging and digging some more. China, are you down there? :rolleyes: :D :D

So far I am EXTREMELY happy with it. When I stuck my nose in the bag it had a very faint pine smell to it, but when I poured it out there was no smell whatsoever. The box with the Pa-Purrr in, I just added some Feline Pine instead of dumping it all out. The Feline Pine neutalizes odors so well it actually cut the horrendous "Light Fresh Scent" of the Pa-Purrr - whew! So, it doesn't smell, it neutralizes litter box odors well, it's not overly expensive and it clumped well. It is so light that it really sticks to the kitty's feetsies which means it is ridiculously "tracky" but it is also very light, so it vacuums up easily. Also, it tracks all over the place, but it isn't a hard little clay clump like the other stuff, so you can't feel it when you step on it as you walk down the hallway in your bare feet. ;)

All 3 litter boxes are now at least 80% Scoopable Feline Pine, so I'll give it some time then come back and give you an update on if I still like it.

moosmom
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I've changed my cats' litter to Scoopable Feline Pine. Do I like it...well, sort of.

I love that there's no smell. The tracking, however, is AWFUL!!!!! Especially with my "Dig to China" Mollie Rose who throws half the box of litter out when she covers her business.

UGH!!! Do I go back to regular FP or keep on using the new clumping stuff?? This is gonna be a difficult one.

lizbud
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
$18.42 for 10 lbs!!!!!
:eek:

Let's see I use about 100lbs a month, that's $180. Wow.

I use Scoop Away clumping. It's $6 for 20lbs, on sale.
I found that they changed their formula, and it is now incredibly DUSTY!

I need to shop for another brand, after 6 years.

I use Swheatscoop for tiny kittens, and I've used the crystals for sick cats.
After using them, I can't wait to get back to the regular clumping litter. :rolleyes:

It's about 11 or 12 dollars at PetsMart, but that's way more than I want to
pay for it, even if it is good. I have 5 indoor kitties that aren't picky
about what litter they use. :)