PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about this?

joanofark
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
How do you feel?

LeahMM
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I believe it's illegal here but people do it anyway. :(

finn's mom
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm not about to judge people for letting their dogs ride in the bed of the truck. I definitely prefer to see them in the climate-controlled cab, but, for the most part, I don't have that big of a problem with it. If they are in the back, I prefer to see them restrained somehow, whether it be in a crate that's strapped or tied down, or a line to keep them from jumping out. I think the crate tied down is the best way. But, again, I don't really have too big of a problem with it. I know it's not the safest way to travel, but, neither is letting my dog sit unbuckled in my car. And, I do that. I want to get a new harness for him for trips, but, I haven't done it, yet. I know I wouldn't personally put my pet in the bed of a truck, but, for the most part, it only really bothers me if the pet looks too hot or cold or completely afraid or if the person is driving recklessly. Or if it's a bed that is full of crap, especially when you know the stuff is dangerous, like farm equipment or something.

Miss Z
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Very few people do that here, but what if you had to brake sharply? It could happen no matter how unlikely it is. A child could run out into the road. Slam on brakes. There is a small chance a dog would survive:(

finn's mom
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Very few people do that here, but what if you had to brake sharply? It could happen no matter how unlikely it is. A child could run out into the road. Slam on brakes. There is a small chance a dog would survive:(

You take the same risk when you let a pet ride unrestrained within a vehicle, too. I am not disagreeing with you at all, either, just pointing out the fact that a lot of people think it's unsafe and unfair to leave a pet unbuckled in the car, too. I'm not sure of the statistics, so, I can't say much about it, but, it does seem less likely the pet would die inside the car as opposed to being out of the vehicle, but, again...I don't know for sure. This is just one of those topics that will always be up for debate and bring out passions. I hope we're able to keep it gentle and not let it get ugly, as it sometimes does!

Miss Z, please know I'm not arguing with you, just stating other views. ;) I agree with you on what you stated.

Miss Z
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
You take the same risk when you let a pet ride unrestrained within a vehicle, too. I am not disagreeing with you at all, either, just pointing out the fact that a lot of people think it's unsafe and unfair to leave a pet unbuckled in the car, too. I'm not sure of the statistics, so, I can't say much about it, but, it does seem less likely the pet would die inside the car as opposed to being out of the vehicle, but, again...I don't know for sure. This is just one of those topics that will always be up for debate and bring out passions. I hope we're able to keep it gentle and not let it get ugly, as it sometimes does!

Miss Z, please know I'm not arguing with you, just stating other views. ;) I agree with you on what you stated.

That's OK, I respect your view, but I still believ it's more of a risk to have a dog in the open on a tuck rather than inside a cabin.;)

finn's mom
06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
That's OK, I respect your view, but I still believ it's more of a risk to have a dog in the open on a tuck rather than inside a cabin.;)

like i said, i was agreeing with you, that's why I said this "I'm not sure of the statistics, so, I can't say much about it, but, it does seem less likely the pet would die inside the car as opposed to being out of the vehicle, but, again...I don't know for sure." mostly the point i'm making is that the people who put their dog in the bed of the truck are probably thinking that it's not enough of a risk to change their ways, same with people who let their dogs ride unrestrained in the cab or in a car (like me!). I know I am taking a risk, even if it is a smaller one than if i put finn in the bed of a truck. Oftentimes it takes a pet dying (either their own or a pet of someone close to them) before someone changes their ways, whether it be letting their pet ride in the bed of a truck or in the car, or letting a pet run free or feeding a pet a certain way or whatever the case might be. Sometimes the risk doesn't seem all that apparent to people who've been doing certain things with their pets their whole lives. Anyway, I'm out. ;) This topic has never been that big of a deal to me, I just always see so many lean towards it being the worst thing you can do to a dog, that I felt like I could take the time to point out that it might not be. Whew, that was a mouthful!

Alysser
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
IMO, it's terrible. First off, the dog can jump out if not restrained or trained not to. Second, if the are restrained and try to jump off they can get killed by being dragged and strangled. Also, this can happen if the car stops short. I have never seen that here, as it is illegal and you can get a hefty fine if caught but there are VERY busy roads in my area and if a dog was to survive the jump it would most likley be hit by a car. In the winter, it gets freezing here to so the dog can freeze. It's just to risky and very dangerous. I would NEVER even consider doing this and I hope I never see it done down here. I'm sorry if you disagree but this is what I think.

Zippy
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
It makes me mad.it would be so horriable if dog fell out of the cab

shihtzulover850
06-07-2006, 05:51 PM
just a few minutes ago I saw someone doing it. I think it is evil!!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Some people might not have room in their truck for a dog and can't afford to get a better vehicle more suited to the dog, so their only option would be to put the dog in the back. I don't agree with it but there are certain circumstances where there isn't much of a choice, in my opinion. If the dog is tied on a *short* leash inside and can't jump out or if s/he is in a crate strapped into the truck (I feel much better about the crate idea) then I'm alright with it, but still don't really like it. I cannot stand to see dogs secured but on a long leash that they could hang themselves with if they were to jump or not secured at all.

lute
06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
i hate it! i would NEVER do it!! :mad: i have seen these restraints for dogs that ride in the backs of trucks. that may be a little safer.

dogzr#1
06-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I've done it before with Molly. She had to go to the vet right after my brother dropped me off at school. My brother drives a Ford Ranger, so there wasn't enough room for her to ride in the car with us. My brother held onto her collar when we past by the school so she wouldn't jump out. She didn't look over the edge much. So I'm okay with it.

Kfamr
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
It makes me skin crawl. I've heard too many horror stories about pets in the back of trucks. It's not 100% safe in the cab but it is A LOT safer than in the bed.

It's funny, even though was usually buckle our dogs in with their harnesses, still everytime we brake, both my dad's arm and my arm flings out as to stop one of the dogs if they went flying. :rolleyes: :p

lute
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
It's funny, even though was usually buckle our dogs in with their harnesses, still everytime we brake, both my dad's arm and my arm flings out as to stop one of the dogs if they went flying. :rolleyes: :p

same here! it's become a habit!LOL

Chilli
06-07-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm not too horribly appalled when I see a dog riding in the bed of a truck, only because I literally see it everyday. I live in a town where most everyone believes its fine. All of my uncles let their dogs ride in the bed.
So really, I'm pretty much against it and in a way I'm not, but I don't make a big deal about it. I've grown up around it. I have never seen it done in a big city, and thats probably why I'm not completely against it. The town I live in is extremely small, so the speed limits don't get very high. I know, I know, accidents still happen, but you take a risk of dying or getting injured just by driving yourself.
I'm also not worried about these dogs jumping out. If they ride in the bed of a truck, it normally means that they have done it from a young age, so they are basically trained to stay. Especially my uncle's dogs. They will not budge from the bed of the truck unless you give them a specific command to do so.
Personally, I wouldn't let my dogs ride in the bed of a truck, atleast Skylar and Ethan. They both freak out if they're in a moving vehicle without a human right beside them. Frisk, on the otherhand, has ridden in the back of a truck with a few people (only on a gravel road, though). He knows not to jump out untill told that he can come. He won't even raise up on the side of the bed. I probably wouldn't let him ride in the bed alone, only because he is small enough to fit on someone's lap if needed.

EDIT// I also wanted to state that most dogs I see riding in the bed, are only riding there because the cab is completely full. Face it, most older trucks (you don't see anything newer around here) aren't extended cab or anything, so it only holds 3 people.

Argranade
06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Ppl wanna put there dogs in danger not my problem but Id rather have there head out a window than in the back of a truck actualy I realy dont think I would do either both ways you could over a low chance loose your dog on the road. :eek:

shihtzulover850
06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
You take the same risk when you let a pet ride unrestrained within a vehicle, too. I am not disagreeing with you at all, either, just pointing out the fact that a lot of people think it's unsafe and unfair to leave a pet unbuckled in the car, too.
Snuggles is small so we just hold on to her or her leash. :)

JenBKR
06-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Oh that makes me so mad - once I saw a dog in the back of a pick up tied to something. The truck hit a bump, and the dog went flying of of the back, and was just hanging there as they drove. They did stop the truck and put the poor dog back in the bed. That really broke my heart :( You better believe Roscoe will never be in the back of a pickup!

lv4dogs
06-09-2006, 12:29 PM
As long as it is not a flat bed & the dog is trained well I don't really see a problem with it. Using a restraining device is even better. Sure riding INSIDE the vehicle is probably safer for them. I just feel that if the dog likes it and is trained not to stand on the edge or anything like that, that it is probably not too much worse than riding unrestrained inside a vehicle.

Besides the dog loves it. I don't have a pick up but I let my dogs have their heads out the windows in my car & van.

It might not be the safest but you run a risk no matter what way you deicde to travel with your dog.
If you dog is crated and your vehicle is crushed badly that may cause injury & or cause your dog to become trapped.
If you have a divider in the back of your station wagon or suv and you are rear ended your dog may get more injured than if he was in the back seat, or he may even get trapped. Without a crate or divider the dog at least has the option to jump into another seat. And even with the divider there is still a good chance your dog can go through a window if you get into an accident.

I personally believe that as long as the dog loves it and is trained that it is fine. Heck I drink a beer here & there and the like. Some people climb mountains & the like. Why can't dogs do something a little "bad" or "risky" that they enjoy?
I know I'd rather die happy with more experience than sad & sheltered and I honestly feel that my dogs feel the same way.

All in all there is a risk with EVERYTHING you do.

finn's mom
06-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I personally believe that as long as the dog loves it and is trained that it is fine. Heck I drink a beer here & there and the like. Some people climb mountains & the like. Why can't dogs do something a little "bad" or "risky" that they enjoy?
I know I'd rather die happy with more experience than sad & sheltered and I honestly feel that my dogs feel the same way.

Well said, I agree! ;) I've been sky diving, and, that's completely crazy. ;) Even if I hadn't put my initials on many pages of waivers before doing it, just by doing it, I agreed to not press charges and my family couldn't either, even if the person I was attached to purposefully decided not to pull the rip cord and I was injured and/or killed. That's nuts! Everyone has their limits to what they'll do with themselves, their children, their pets, etc. Someone's idea of completely ridiculous and unsafe might be someone else's standard Monday. ;)

I think the main thing is that if the dog enjoys himself and is trained, I don't see much wrong with letting them ride in the bed of a truck, or running beside a biker off leash or taking your dog to a dog park with many other off leash dogs (even though there are many risks that go along with all of those things, and, i know people who refuse to participate in those things, too, because of the risks). I said I was out of this discussion earlier, but, I had to comment on that, as I thought it was well stated. :)