PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Jane (Member of our Therapy Dog Group)

Cincy'sMom
06-06-2006, 10:33 PM
One of our original members, Jane, passed away this week due to complications following surgery for Chron's disease. The funeral home allowed the therapy dogs to come to the visitation, and we had approximately 25-30 dogs come tonight. I'm not sure I ever thought a funeral home would allow such a things, but it went very well, and all the dogs were respectful. After the dogs paid their respects, many family and friends came outside to pet the dogs and comment how nice it was to have them there. The news also came and once again, Sadie, Spot and Cincy could be seen in many of the shots.

At first, I wasn't sure what to think about the news coming to the funeral home. The irony of it, is that Jane was always trying to find new ways to get exposure for our therpay dog gorup and get us on the news. I'm sure she is tickled pink that the dogs were there for her, and that she finally got us on the news. iN fact, our dogs mugs have been all over the Toledo news this week!

Friday night, we had our annual Therapy Dog picnic, complete with a vintage MASH jeep. Two local stations came out to video the festivities, and Sadie, Spot and Cincy's faces were seen often inthe brief segments that aired. I was also interviewed on both stations regarding the work that we do.

Jane and Jake performing Jake's famous "Ring the bell" trick
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p73f3ab9c8caa0d07b60371f1657fc182/f227ec5d.jpg

Jane and Jake at the 2005 Toledo Area Humane Society Walk
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid168/p4c228b5ed43659cb3f4e70b8307b24dc/f41adb42.jpg

Jake will be continuing on as a therapy dog. Our VP had been watching Jake whie Jane has been hospitalized. Knowing her recovery was going to be long, and having lost his dog last year, he recently tested Jake so that he could handle him and keep Jake's routine as normal as possible, by contining to do visits. Jake will remain with our VP and his family for the rest of his life (He is 11)

Rest in Peace Jane, you will be missed.

luvofallhorses
06-06-2006, 10:44 PM
how terribly sad! :( R.I.P. Jane. :( She sounds like she was an angel.

zippy-kat
06-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jane's passing.

It does bring a smile to all who hear, though, of the exposure received. I think you're right, she'd be tickled pink. It really was a touching gesture and I'm so glad the funeral home made an exception.

My thoughts and prayers are with friends and family of Jane and Jake. What a special team!

captain
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

RIP Jane.

cyber-sibes
06-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Prayers & hugs to all, Jane sounds like a lovely lady. Jake sure is a handsome gent, good to know he's got another family, I'm sure he'll be missing Jane for a long time. The funeral sounds pretty cool, that's nice that they let all the dogs in, too. I'll have to try to catch the Toledo station more often, don't want to miss my favorite spotty crew on the big screen!

shais_mom
06-07-2006, 02:41 AM
oh Amy - so sorry for the loss of your friend - seeing the pics and hearing about the VP just made tears stream down my face.
{{ hugs }}

4 Dog Mother
06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Amy, sorry to hear of Jane's passing. It was very cool that the dogs were allowed to come to the funeral home. And I bet she was very happy that the dogs made the news because of this! RIP Jane!

ramanth
06-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Jane. Was she at the Great American Mutt show? Jake (and Jane) looks very familier and I recall a dog ringing a bell for us.

Bitter sweet that your group got the exposure in that way. And I'm happy to hear Jake will continue on as a therapy dog.

*hugs*

kuhio98
06-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Rest in peace, sweet Jane. I can only imagine the hundreds of dogs who greeted you when you crossed over.

lizbud
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
How sad about Jane's passing. :( What a great tribute to her & the
therapy group to allow all the canine members to attend her funeral. I'm
sure that would have make Jane so happy.I'm also glad to hear that Jake
will continue on with his work & have a good home too.

Cinder & Smoke
06-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey Miz Jane ~

Did ya catch the News on God's TV?

You "Made the News" BIG TIME - Good Job!!

Sorry you missed the Picnic - but I'll bet you were there in Spirit.

Rest In Peace, Dear Lady.

/s/ Phred

k9krazee
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Aww :( Rest easy Jane, she sounded like a sweet lady.

My Peanuts
06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
How sad. :( She sounds like a wonderful woman.