PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything we can do?

catnapper
06-04-2006, 08:00 AM
We just got a new neighbor (actually he lived here 5 years ago but moved out and just recently moved back in) and he smokes. Which isn't so bad, but apparently his wife kicks him outside to smoke. Which means he stands out back and all his smoke blows into OUR house. I am allergic to smoke and hubby is actually highly allergic to smoke.

Since we know this guy and his family from when he lived here a few years ago, we might be more comfortable saying something to him about smoking than if he was a brand new stranger living next to us. I don't remember him smoking when he lived here before, so its either a new habit or his wife finally convinced him he's not allowed to smoke in the house.

I know if its outside that the air is free to smoke in.... but can I politely ask him to smoke with the wind so that the wind is blowing away from my house (is there ever a polite way for something like this?)

Is there anything else I might be able to do? Hubby thought perhaps a 6' tall fence between us might cut down on the smoke hitting us -- would it?

Ugh, my lungs are clogged with lots of extra mucus now nad I'm developing a wonderful pot nasal drip thing. Hubby's been vomiting up wads of mucus just from two days of this guy moving in! He's not even here fulltime yet! Serously, if we can't find a solution, we're going to have to move!

jenluckenbach
06-04-2006, 08:33 AM
I feel your pain. :( And of course, you should attempt to tell him about your request. But don't hold your breath thinking he'll just stop it and smoke elsewhere. There are so many smokers who are self-righteous about their "rights". :rolleyes: Good luck (but if you do move, can you move closer to me, please? ;) )

Karen
06-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Do, seriously ask him to smoke on the other side of his house. I am sure he has no idea it is making you guys sick, and wouldn;t take offense at the suggestion, if worded nicely.

kuhio98
06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
You guys seem to be thinking of a lot of different (i.e. expensive) ways to avoid a simple conversation. :confused: Just ask him politely if he wouldn't mind smoking on the other side of the house since the wind blows the smoke in your house and you have health problems (and a baby on the way). If he is a jerk about it then you can put your expensive plans into action.

christa
06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Doubt the fence thing would work. Smoke is nasty stuff.

We use to live in a townhouse and our neighbor would smoke so much that it would actually seep through the walls!!! Talk about disgusting! I actually was afraid that he had fallen asleep with one lit one night becuase the smell was so strong in our living room, I knocked on his door! He also would go out on his deck and smoke . . . we had a privacy fence that separated our decks . . . it didn't "block" the smoke or the smell.

I would definitely say something but don't expect him to comply. Seems to be a touchy subject these days. :rolleyes:

moosmom
06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I think Karen is right. Go and introduce yourself, get to talking and then bring it up and politely ask him to smoke on the other side of the house. Explain to them about your allergies and how the smoke is seeping into your house. I'm SURE they'd understand. It's not like you're asking them to move or anything.

catnapper
06-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Lisa, perhaps we are making this issue harder than simply going over there and talking to him. Problem is we don't like this man. He's mean, vindictive, slimy. He abused his last dog - I told his wife that I was planning on calling the Humane Society if I didn't see him treat the puppy better. The next thing I know, he "lost" the puppy while playing in the yard. Another neighbor saw him just set the puppy free towards the train tracks :mad:

When he moved out a few years ago, we told the people who were renting to own to beware of him and that somehow/someway he'll find a loophole in the legal paperwork and take advantage of them.... and he did. They had an agreement to purchase. They did thousands of dollars in home repair (new chimney, beautiful new wrap around wooden proch, refinishing the hardwood floors, etc) and they did everything according to the legal documents. He STILL found a loophole and tried to extort another $35,000 above the agreed contract. They said he can take his house and put it somewhere uncomfortable. They obviously are now taking him to court to get back some of the money they put into the house (including a $5,000 deposit he said he'd return should they ever move oout) Anyway, he's an awful man.

When he lived next to us before, his oldest son robbed us blind twice. WE KNOW this for a fact because our RB Sammie took a chunk out of his arms and legs while the boy robbed us. Since he was under age, he basically got a slap on the wrist. Since the boy hocked everything, homeowner's insurance paid for the replacement. Well the boy is now 20 and miving back in... maybe he's the one smoking???

So us asking him (however politely) to refrain from smoking might actually make things WORSE -- I can see him standing outside our window purposefully blowing smoke INOT our window.

king2005
06-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Not a good situation.. Would talking to the wife be easier? If not, who owns the property? Maybe calling the bylaw that hes putting toxins into your house & knowlingly making you VERY ill (after you talk to the neighbours & they refuse to stop). Building a 6' fence might be a good idea, to keep them away & so you don't have to see them.. I hate nasty neighbours!

caseysmom
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Can you close up your windows? I can't imagine how it would get in if the windows are closed.

Catty1
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Smoke can really leak in through windows, even if they ARE closed. I can smell it - and for someone who gets really sick, it won't help closing windows.

I agree with Jess - if the guy's wife succeeded in kicking him outside to smoke, you might talk to her.

And also talk to the Health Department and see if they have any ideas.

Catty1

Karen
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, if you're not gonna talk to him, keep a loaded Supersoaker or bucket of water and douse him every time he's out smoking.

Okay, if you're not willing to do that, buy him one of those ashtrays that sucks the smoke inside it and leave it for him with a polite note.

Or set fans in the windows blowing out.

caseysmom
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I would play the baby card...heck even the biggest creap alive would feel bad if you tell him there is a new baby in the house.

My Peanuts
06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with the others that said play the baby card. It's not a lie. There is going to be a newborn in the house. He should understand and smoke on the other side of the house.

elizabethann
06-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Can you stick a fan someplace and just let it blow towards him?