PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Stinks!! Help!

lldaniels21
06-04-2006, 04:09 AM
I just bought a new cat (a yr and a half old) from the local animal shelter. I have had her for two days now. Everything is wonderful...except her litter box is so stinky. For come reason her poo poo has a very strong odor. I already put some odor neutalizer in the litter, but it seems to not be working. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks :)

Randi
06-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Welcome to PT! :) If you cat's poo is very smelly, it could be because she gets the wrong food. Have you checked if there's blood in the poo? That could be the reason. My cat, Fister had a little blood in his poo a few times, and my vet recommended I feed him half Hills S/D and half C/D. Since then, his poo has been fine. :) Your cat may need a different type of food though - ask your vet!

catnapper
06-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Randi beat me to the food suggestion! :) My Allen used to have poo that could clear a room! Then we swticehd from Meow Mix To Nutro and never looked back.

If its not food, then it might be that she has a bacterial infection that a vet would need to inspect.

By the way, Congrats on your new kitty and welcome to PT!

kuhio98
06-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I agree with the others. Food changes could cause this. What brand did they use at the shelter? Also stress of a new home. Cammie used to clear the room when we first got her. It took a while, but she settled down and the problem is much better now. But, I still scoop all the "lumps" out EVERY day. It. really helps.

lldaniels21
06-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I think they used any kind of food donated at the shelter. I thought it might be the food, because she is actually having to stay on one type here at home. Right now I'm giving her purina friskies. When she first came homw with me on Friday she had horrible gas a few times. Since she has met everyone in the house, she has calmed down more and hasn't let out any toots. My dad thought it might be nervousness of a new place too. I will stick with this cat food a couple more days and then try a different kind. Thanks for all the help! Jenna will appreciate it :)

catmandu
06-04-2006, 11:08 AM
I Think That Once Your Cat Is On A Better Diet, The Pu Will Stop.
Tubby2 Used To Have Poos That Would Curl Your Toes, But Now Hes Fine.
Bless You For Taking That Cat In.

Cataholic
06-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I had a stinky cat or two, too! While I guess it could be the food, for my cats, it was more the stress of the situation. Once things settled down, things got alot less stinky. Mostly. :D

I agree with the frequent scoops, and the right litter.

jazzcat
06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh boy can I relate. When I adopted Jazz and then Scout both were STINKY for the first week or so until they got used to the food change and their stress was lowered. If you decide to change your new kitties food try doing it slowly by mixing it in with the old for a little while so her tummy can adjust.

Welcome to PT and congratulations on your new kitty!

catmandu
06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Especially With The Nutro Complete Care Indoor, Theres Hardly Any Smell At All.
And They Love The Taste, Especially The Kittens.

lldaniels21
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have pics of Jenna on here shortly! :)