PDA

View Full Version : Lucas.....no luck.... :(

jenluckenbach
06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, Lucas had his first depo-medrol injection. After only 1 day his diarrhea started to firm up. 3 days later he was even making it to the litter box (no clean up for me :) ) But after only 1 week the soft poop returned. :( And after 10 days it is right back to liquid. :(

My vet did not wish to do a second shot as soon as 1 week after the first, but would try giving it after 2 weeks. that would be this coming Tuesday. I am only going to wait until Monday and ask for a second shot.

Why won't anything work for my sweet boy? What harm has he ever done to anyone? He was (and still is) a God-send. All I want is for him to feel healthy again. I know the cancer will not be beaten :( not with 5 tumors already, but just give the boy some comfort........he deserves that much.

My special nose-licking, purr therapist.........I love you.

orangemm
06-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Jen, I'm sorry the injection has not worked for Lucas. Poor guy, he really needs a break (and so do you). Is it dangerous to give him more frequent shots (even if they work)?

I know your heart must be heavy. Wish I could offer some comfort and help. Just know you both are in my thoughts. :(

Killearn Kitties
06-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Sending hugs and all my positive thoughts to you and Lucas tonight, Jen.
Please let us know what they say on Monday. :(

CultureJunky
06-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Jen I am sorry to hear Lucas is not well again. I'm sure as long as you take care of him, and he knows you are there he will be happy and content.
It is best you are with him, and giving him love at this tough time for him (and you)...myself, Jack & Sunny send cuddles, paws and purs to Lucas.

catmandu
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
We Are So Sorry To Hear About Lucas, As He Does Not Want To Be A Dirty Cat.
Cats Are Such Clean Animals And It Must Hurt Lucass Pride To Have This Problem.
We Are Doubling Our Prayers For Poor Lucas, And Pray That The Second Shot Will Work.

catnapper
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Jen, I am SO sorry! I was hoping the treatments would work, at least for a few months. Prayers coming for that super sweet boy.

CalliesMom
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I am sorry I have not posted before in other threads regarding his healthy but have been thinking about Lucas. I hope the second shot makes him feel better and that he knows how truly loved he is.

Catty1
06-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Awwww.....maybe more frequent shots, at a slightly lower dose? Poor Lucas and poor you!

What did your own vet think of chemo? I can't recall what you said about her comments...I know in dogs they are nowhere as sick as humans get.

hugs, hugs, hugs
Catty1

catlover4ever
06-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry that the injections are not working for Lucas. (((hugs))) I know how extremely hard it is to have to watch our babies endure the treatments and the sickness. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

christa
06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh Jen, I was so hoping that the shots would make more of a difference.

Prayers for you and Lucas.

{{{Hugs}}}

Kirsten
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry!!! :( :( :( I don't know what else to say, it just seems not fair that this happens to someone we love so much!! :(

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
My Lucas went for his 2nd depo injection today. We will also try putting him back on the pancrenzyme (this is the ONE medicine that actually helped him. None of the others did)

If it doesn't keep the diarrhea at bay the vet feels there is not a whole lot else to do........ :(

We can talk about chemo therapy, but her words "If I thought it were a viable option I'd say go for it, but......." I will not prolong agony for the sake of a few months. :(

I never asked about the time he might have less, I will take it a day at a time.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{LUCAS}}}}}}}}}}}} why did it have to be you?

Kirsten
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
((((Jen))))

I will not prolong agony for the sake of a few months

I wouldn't do that either....

I hope that the new injection and the pancrenzyme will give him some life quality back!

Please give Lucas some head scritchies from me, okay?

Kirsten

Catty1
06-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I didn't know your own vet thought that...but I am glad she was clear.

Praying that some meds help and you have more wonderful days with Lucas!

hugs
Catty1

jenluckenbach
06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't know your own vet thought that...but I am glad she was clear.

I did not really know her stand on chemo until today (because I did not ask). She really felt the depo injections would do more for him....... but maybe it is just the placements of his particular tumors that make this symptom so extreme.

Just keep Lucas in your prayers (not for a cure, but for comfort and joy). If you knew him, you would love him too.

AbbyMom
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Jen, you and Lucas have my prayers...for comfort and joy, internal peace and wisdom...and effective medications.

Throughout the years, I feel I have gotten to know and to love him. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Catty1
06-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I absolutely would love Lucas! I hope I didn't give the impression I wouldn't.

I really hope these new treatments bring comfort to him, and to you.

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Catty1

rg_girlca
06-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh Jen.....Major ((((((HUGS)))))) on the way for you.

I am so sorry to hear about your dear Lucas.

Of course prayers will be said that Lucas has nothing but comfort and joy for as long as it takes. I know that he brings comfort and joy to you.

More ((((((HUGS)))))) coming your way.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry the steroid shots aren't doing more to help the diarrhea. :( Maybe after he's had two or three and his system gets used to having the drug in his system.....

I know it's not much consolation, but according to my vet, a cat having diarrhea is more upsetting to the humans than it is to the cat. I know it seems strange because I know how uncomfortable diarrhea can be, but with CJ, and as you have mentioned with Lucas, he doesn't seem to act any different, he just has diarrhea instead of hard poops.

Good thoughts, prayers, crossed fingers and whatever else I can do, hoping the shots will start working a little more and Lucas is with you for a long long time to come. {{{hugs}}}

Randi
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry the injections didn't work for long. :( Hopefully the Pancrenzyme will. Lucas is such a wonderful boy and doesn't deserve this. :( I hope he'll be with you for some time yet, and feel better.

Fister and I send positive thoughts, scritchies, headbumpies and hugs to you both.

Lizzie
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
How very frustrating that the injection seemed to work on the diarrhoea and then stopped. Does he cope okay with getting the Pancrenzyme? Does your vet think there is any link between the diarrhoea and the tumors? I remember my vet telling me about the toxic wastes that tumors throw out that make both humans and cats sick in uncomfortable ways. I think T&PM could be right about it not bothering Lucas as much as you, the way he poops, or does he look distressed?

It's good that your vet was very clear about the way she feels on chemotherapy for Lucas. I trust my vets pretty well and when they both say (one's a pessimist and the other is an optimist) they wouldn't suggest it, then the case is closed.

jenluckenbach
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Lucas is a dream cat to pill.........such a good boy. But I fear the pancrenzyme will fail (my reasoning being, his diarrhea returned 3 weeks before the ultrasound and he was consistantly on this medicine the whole time.)

What I'd like to do is find some "natural" diarrhea cures. One I want to research is slippery elm bark powder. Maybe there are others. Any thoughts?

Lucas does not seem to be distressed by the diarrhea except for the fact that he doesn't (or can't) reach the litter boxes. So I am cleaning up slime no less than 2 times a day. (I have been for quite a time now)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Jen, have you seen SAS's post in Cat Health? I know it's probably not going to help with Lucas since you know he has the tumors, but I'm going to have CJ tested - can't hurt!

ChrisH
06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
What I'd like to do is find some "natural" diarrhea cures. One I want to research is slippery elm bark powder. Maybe there are others. Any thoughts?

Found the following in a book I have.

Slippery Elm.
Long term intestinal problems are often helped by giving pets slippery elm (Ulmus rubra) tincture, says Dr Carson. She recommends diluting 20 drops of the tincture in a one-ounce bottle filled with spring water. Give cats and dogs under 15 pounds a dropperful three times a day. Pets 15 to 50 pounds can have two droppersful, and larger dogs can take three droppersful. It is best to use tinctures that are alcohol-free because alcohol may be harmful for cats.

Nux vomica
A homeopathic remedy called Nux vomica is good for the whole digestive tract and will help stop diarrhea, says Dr Carson. She recommends using a 6X potency, mixing 20 drops in an ounce of spring water. Give your pet half a dropperful three times a day

Pet supplements containing Lactobacillus acidophilus, available in pet stores. Follow the instructions on the label. Or you can give your pet live-culture yoghurt , which contains the same organisms, Dr Whitely explains. Cats can have one to two teaspoonsful of yogurt a day, spread over several feedings.

Firm with fiber. Dietary fiber absorbs a lot of water in the digestive tract, which can help stop diarrhea, Dr Stefanatos says. She recommends giving about one-half teaspoon of fiber-rich foods, such as canned pumpkin or flaxseeds, with every meal to cats and dogs weighing less than 15 pounds.

Hope something there helps your dear boy.
Prayers continuing.

Hugs and love
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/Hugs2.gif

Donnaj4962
06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Lucas. (((hugs))) to you and Lucas.

I don't know what else to say at this time.

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Just keep Lucas in your prayers (not for a cure, but for comfort and joy). If you knew him, you would love him too.

Jen, we all DO love dear Lucas. Sending prayers for both of you. I wish I could find the words to comfort you, but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

(((HUGS)))

Kirsten
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Jen, I may not post very much these days, but you and Lucas are in my thoughts.

(((HUGS)))

Kirsten