PDA

View Full Version : Bandit and Paxil updates...

Glacier
06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Bandit surgery today to remove a benign tumor from his eyelid. He did very well. I was concerned about him being put under as he is pushing 10 years old. He had a full blood panel prior to the surgery which showed no concerns. My vet always puts in an IV just in case anyway. Bandit did get some fluids after the procedure to help flush his system. Dr. Kim did a beautiful job on his eye. The main complication from this surgery is difficulty blinking or cherry eye. Kim took as little eyelid tissue as possible. I can hardly see the stitches and it looks like Bandit will heal with no lasting eye problems. He's still fairly wobbly. He's outside on Preacher's line as he wouldn't settle down in the house. He keeps trying to howl, but he sounds like a drunk slurring his words! It's actually kinda funny!

Paxil started eating again after two days of sub-q fluids. Tonight she was wooing and happy dancing at my feet trying to get me to hurry up with dinner. She has decided that she likes those Beneful stew meals. I had a free sample one that I offered her the other night and she wolfed it down. I know, I know, Beneful is junk food, but she's 10 years old, fought cancer twice and now has chronic pancreatitis. She had a near fatal bout of pancreatitis 18 months ago and it may have done permanent damage. If she'll eat that, she can have it! I just need her to eat. A cup of Beneful on top of her usual high quality kibble isn't going to hurt her and if it gets her to eat, it may well help her stay with me longer! I have full IV set up and extra bags of fluids. Dr. Kim has directed that if she stops eating again for more than one night, she goes back on fluids. He thinks she may not actually be just a fussy eater, but it may be that she has actually been fighting a low grade pancreatitis possibly for her entire life. Her other owners both say she was a hard keeper--didn't eat or drink well, hard to keep weight on, ect. The fluids seem to make her feel better. Right now she's back to my happy, silly, kissy, talkative girl! I've never been so happy to see a dog eat!

finn's mom
06-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Woo hoo, I was wondering how things were going with the oldies (but goodies!). I'm ecstatic to hear the news that they are both doing well. Glad the surgery went well and that little miss Paxil is eating again! And, at this point, who cares what, as long as she's eating! ;)

cyber-sibes
06-03-2006, 06:33 AM
What good news for Bandit & Paxil!

gemini9961
06-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Woohoo for Bandit and Paxil!!!! :D