PDA

View Full Version : Is getting 21 important in the USA (or else?)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Our son Jo is turning 21 today! Where are the day where he was crowling in the floor,taking care of mommy's keys!!

10 months old , 11 months old, just after we got him

then older: last week , and with my dad, then when we just got him!, and during the mass last Thursday

caseysmom
06-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Well it is important as it marks the age when it is legal to drink. Your son is very handsome, I hope he has a great birthday.

shihtzulover850
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah somewhat. It marks the legal age to do a lot of things. :D Congratulations to him!

prechrswife
06-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Happy Birthday to Jo! :D

JenBKR
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
He was such an adorable baby - and what a handsome man he has grown into! Congratulations on your 'baby's' 21st!

k9krazee
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Happy Birthday to Jo!!! :D

Cataholic
06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Happy Birthday, Jo!

Yeah somewhat. It marks the legal age to do a lot of things. :D Congratulations to him!

PLease don't think I am trying to argue with you, but, other than drink, what other 'legal' things are permitted at 21 that aren't already given to us at 18? I am presuming you are in the US, and not another country...

Kfamr
06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Happy Birthday to your son!!

PLease don't think I am trying to argue with you, but, other than drink, what other 'legal' things are permitted at 21 that aren't already given to us at 18? I am presuming you are in the US, and not another country...

I was wondering that as well.

IRescue452
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Gambling is all I can think of. Age divides are actually based on state, not in the entire U.S. Some states have higher or lower ages for smoking, drinking, and even getting married. I think 14 is the lowest marriage age but I forget which state.

Karen
06-02-2006, 02:28 PM
21 is the age when you can legally get a pistol permit. It is also the age when you can rent x-rated movies or go to that sort of show, when you are legally an adult for all sorts of things, when you can drink - or even not drink but be able to get into clubs where alcohol is served, even if you're just going to dance ...

buckner
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Happy Birthday, Jo! :D

Gambling is all I can think of. Age divides are actually based on state, not in the entire U.S. Some states have higher or lower ages for smoking, drinking, and even getting married. I think 14 is the lowest marriage age but I forget which state.
Some states allow gambling once you turn 18. :)

shihtzulover850
06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Happy Birthday, Jo!

Oh i don't think that at all. but I have heard it is the legal age for quite a few things. I can't think of any right now but yeah you are right mostly it is given at 18. :) and yes I am in the us. But mostly it is just a special time. :)

Roxyluvsme13
06-02-2006, 06:45 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JO!! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I meant more the emotional thing :) . He says he is " a real adult" now, lol.
And no, I don't live in the USA, but in Belgium. :)

Miss Z
06-03-2006, 07:50 AM
In the UK most people have a big party when they turn 21. Happy birthday to Jo!:D

Cataholic
06-03-2006, 11:49 AM
when you are legally an adult for all sorts of things,

In the US, you are 'legally an adult' at 18. Not 21. While private companies **might** have different rules (for instance, alot of car rental companys won't rent to anyone under 25), the age of majority in the US is 18.

Wouldn't want anyone here, under the age of 21, but, 18 or older, to think they wouldn't be held accountable for their actions! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
21 is the age when you can legally get a pistol permit. It is also the age when you can rent x-rated movies or go to that sort of show, when you are legally an adult for all sorts of things, when you can drink - or even not drink but be able to get into clubs where alcohol is served, even if you're just going to dance ...

Justin and some of his friends used to like to go to a pool hall and play pool and foosball after work sometimes. One of Justin's friends was only 20 at the time and he always got kicked out after a certain time (I think it was 7pm). They checked ids and only let people over 21 in after that.

Kfamr
06-03-2006, 01:04 PM
While at the same time, I am 18 and able to go to a club (which also serves alcohol) until whatever time I feel like. Not all clubs are like that.. it really depends on the owner/operator of the business.

Sorry poor Jo for hijacking your birthday thread! I do hope he had a good one!