PDA

View Full Version : Do mutiple cat homes receive regular vet care?

Kfamr
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Before anyone jumps down my back, It's just something I've been VERY curious about for a long time.

How much do multiple cat homes (I'm talking 5-14+ cats in one home) spend on Vet Care yearly? Do they have yearly check-ups, every single one? Do they get vaccinations?

I know my brother struggles with just two, and he gets a major discount considering her does a lot of computer work for the Vet.

Like I said, I've just been curious for the longest time. I have three 40+lb dogs and everytime we visit the vet it is around $200 per dog, even WITH our multiple dog discount, not including any medications, heartworm, flea/tick, etc. we buy.

I spend basically every cent I receive on my three dogs, buy the best food I can afford, spoil them with toys and treats, pay their vet care and can BARELY make it on my own. I just can't imagine having to pay for 14+ animals, or how I'd do it. Although, cats are probably cheaper to maintain, but still... some of you have MANY kitties!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
As going to the vet with 4 cats in one go is impossible, I made 2 groups! Maya and Inka are going infor their shots in August, and Zazou and Snoopy go in February! I deworm them 2 more times, and also give them Feliway 2 extra times. And the nail clipping of course :eek: :eek:

catnapper
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
All 5 of mine get regular vet care. We're usually right on time for their checkups and shots. Since I did so much fostering, I made sure they had all their shots since they were being exposed to more stuff than they'd have been otherwiuse... now that I'm donefostering I'll probably be a lot more lax on shots, except the rabies (which is required by law). They'll still go for a wellness exam if I decide to not innoculate them for everything.

I never take fecal samples to the vet even though they ask me to. Its a wasted test IMO. I'll know if there's worms or bacteria by seeing changes in color or texture of whats left behind in the litterbox.

I've spent a small fortune on Pouncer in the past year. He's worth it though - whatever it takes to make him right. All 5 cats are on prescription diet because of Pouncer (impossible to feed one separately from another -- Pouncer REFUSED to eat when he couldn't eat with the others)

When I go for checkups, I try to take two at once (save afew bucks) I always seem to spend $100 for their yearly checkups ($50 per cat). Thats not including any meds, etc they might need. I forsee Allen needing dental soon. His teeth look pretty icky and his gums are starting to get red.... thats $150+ just for the dental procedure.

Flutter has not been to my vet since I adopted her. She won't go until this coming fall. She's up to date on everythign and one happy, healthy little girl. but, they do have copies of all her paperwork in the meantime in case there's an emergency, she has a file already.

sirrahbed
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Maintaining six cats is expensive. My practice is to be as frugal as possible while still making sure that everyone has the necessities.Each kitty is blood tested, dewormed and vaccinated during their first year - no rabies at all (not required in our county) and no yearly vaccinations after they are a year old and have had their boosters.

Each kitty has an annual check-up but no vaccinations. My vet doesn't recommend this, naturally but he knows that this is my choice - to be ultra conservative with vaccines. I do not bring in fecals unless I see the need. Oh yes and I normally do the wellness exams in two trips. If hubby is home, we have taken five in at one time to get the multi-cat discount but it is pretty rushed and hectic that way.

They are all treated with Advantage for fleas only if we suspect that we have brought fleas into the house - this has happened maybe three times in the past 10 years.

Litter and food are costly but I am also fussy about only using clumping litter and I use lots of it. We use Purina catfood as a midpriced choice. We had one kitty who needed ash free food to prevent blockage and one two kitties needed weight control food for a period of time.

Anyone who seems at all sick goes in to the vet right away and receives whatever care is needed.

Lizzie
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think you will find anyone on PT with a multiple cat household, even those with 20 cats, who does not take their cats in for annual vaccinations and any necessary vet care at the very least.

It's a tremendous struggle, of course, but it's part of the responsibility you accept. I just had to take out a carecredit loan in order to pay for vital dental work because I'd spent all my ready money, and one credit card, at the vet! The food and litter, etc. is pretty easy - about $200 a month for 14 cats, but the vet bills are a killer even though I get a 10% discount.

My younger cats do not get annual check-ups, just annual vaccinations and any other vet care for problems that come up. Any cat who is 10 years old and over, gets an annual or 6-monthly, depending on their health issues, check-up which usually includes blood work (very pricey). Then there are the visits to the emergency vet which start at $80 before any work is done. Add in at-home euthanasia and private cremation. Vet bills this year, so far, have run about $3,000 and they have been higher some years.

I work in state higher-education so my income is modest. I doubt if I will retire until old age really takes its toll, and I know I will die in debt, but at least I'll feel that I did something useful with my life.

Glacier
06-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Absolutely. I don't do annual vaccinations for them anymore, with my vet's support. Fleas, ticks and heartworm don't exsist up here so I don't have to do prevention care for those. They do all see the vet annually, at least, for a general wellness exam. My vet will come to my house for an extra charge. I often do that for the cats as it's much less stressful for them. (I do it every three years for the dogs when they are all due for their rabies shots too.) I don't get a discount for my cats(I have 8). I get 10% off for my sled dogs. I do have a great relationship with my vet and things often disappear from my bill. I treat the cats the same way as the dogs--If I'm concerned about something, they go in immediately.

The cats are much cheaper than dogs to maintain. The cats don't have fights that leave one or more of them requiring surgery! The dogs get into more stuff, cause more ruckus and are much more inventive about finding ways to hurt themselves! With the exception of Pete, my cat vet bills are well under 1000 dollars a year. I've spent close to that this week on the dogs at the vet! :rolleyes:

And then there's Pete. His bills alone are just under 6000 dollars currently. He's been flown to a different province for surgery & continues to have urinary tract problems. Stuart calls him the "world's most expensive free kitten." He's worth every dime.

The cats all eat prescription food. I buy a 20 pound bag and a flat of canned food every month. Plus treats and other canned flavors for the other cats(pete can only have the prescription stuff). Total food bill is about 100 bucks a month.

I just ordered a fancy new cat tree for them, but in general cat toys/posts ect are cheaper than dog toys. I probably spend 300 a year on toys, posts, ect. I use four different kinds of litter, in ten boxes. I spend about 75 bucks a month on litter as well.

CultureJunky
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I only have two cats (Both around 11-12 years old), and when I got them from the rescue centre, they'd been wormed, microchipped and had innoculations.
However I have had them two years now and have not taken them to the vets for any worming or innoculations as the ones they had when I got them made them very ill. I know of quite a few people that do not have shots for their cats as they have found them to get quite ill after.
I was buying flea drops to put on, but they kept licking it off eachother, so I just buy them flea collars every 3 months. They are both happy and healthy, and they do go outside but not very far, and as far as I know do not interact with other cats.
I simply would not be able to afford to have them both innoculated every couple of months for worms etc.
They would also both be a nightmare to give pills too.
It may sound irresponsible, but it's not, it's tailored to my own individual situation, I would do nothing to put them at risk. I love them with all my heart and thier health is of paramount importance to me.
They are healthy and happy, and I would have regular vet visits If I thought anything otherwise.

LeahMM
06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Not only do my 5 cats get yearly checkups but I have 5 dogs that get yearlys as well.

sasvermont
06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
But they are worth it.

I take my once a year for a check up. Depending on the shots, teeth situation etc. it may cost me a few hundred for all four cats. I take two at a time so I can get a little discount.

The bunnies actually cost me more because they go more often for nail, teeth and grooming.......

I don't think I want to know the total per year.

They are worth it.

I don't think one needs to take a cat to the vet each year, but I do. I am a worry wart.

CalliesMom
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
I've often wondered this myself as it is a struggle for me with just 3 cats. My cats get their yearly check ups and vaccinations but now that they are getting older (Callie is 6 and S/W are almost 8) it is getting to be more costly.

I have spent almost $3500/4000 this year alone due to Callie's surgery. That was back when she ingested her toy in late February. I have to take her to the vet school in September to have her heart checked out by a cardiologist and I'm afraid for how I am going to afford that. :(

Fortunately, I get really good quality food for a cheap price since I work at the vet school. We have budgeted the cat litter, food, etc. in our food budget but the vet bills are generally what kill us. I need to take them in to have their teeth cleaned but will probably wait until their next vet visit.

We do have a credit card set aside for extreme emergencies. I could never let something happen to them and not have a way to pay for it. It's just hard because you want to give them the best quality life you can but that can be extremely expensive. I love them, though, and would do anything in my power to make sure they are healthy and taken care of.

catlover4ever
06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I will probally be thrown to the wolves for this one but out of my 8 cats the only one who does not have to have her yearly shots is Tucker. At 23 I have made the decision to let her live out her days peacefully and not stress her out anymore than need be. If she does require care I have it set up with my vet to have someone come out to the house for her.

As for the other 7, every single one of them receives their annual updated shots and checkups. I keep a good eye on all of them and at any time I think they are not feeling good, a call to my vet is made and they are taken in right away.

On a average year for shots and checkups alone I probally spend approximately $700 per year. Flea and tick meds come from mail order because they are less expensive than buYing them from the vet directly, that cost is just under $1000 for six months of Frontline Plus.

Now some of my babies have had special surgeries like Smokey and Gracie. Smokey had PU surgery several years ago and that surgery alone was $900 and Gracie had her eye enculated last year and that surgery was $700...but those are not standard things.

My vet does offer a multi-animal discount for bringing in more than 4 animals at a time, however I would be NUTS to try to bring my 7 in at the same time....unless I had a MACK truck for them and a valium for me. ;) ;) ;)

My mom also has a multi cat household (9 cats) and all of her cats also receive their annual shots and checkups as well. She too does not bring all 9 of hers in at the same time. She usually makes an appointment for 4 on one day, 4 on another day and the last kitty making up the 9 cats has a day all to herself for going. She uses the same vet that I do so she spends about the same as me.

Cataholic
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I have 7 cats, and was at 8, before I lost Tex. Tex, of course, was seen nearly every other month. Georgia goes in every couple of months now. The others, I take in 'reguarly', but, that doesn't mean annually. Somehow, it seems that they all go in for some reason every other year, at least. I am not very hung up on the vaccines- my cats don't go outside.

They eat a 'premium' food, that I get at a pet store, and go through 20 pounds a month? I think. As for total annual costs? Yikes, don't tell me. My vet is expensive, but, very worth it, IMO.

Grace
06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
We have 5 cats, ages from 3 - 9. Each is chipped, and each one sees the Vet yearly for exam and vaccines. The two oldest get blood work yearly - I want to know when the first sign of renal failure appears; the three youngest get labs done every other year. I take them in one at a time - as they all are due in different months.

The boys get Revolution every month of the year; the girls are inside only, so are exempt :)

They pretty much eat the same food - no special diets, yet.

We've been very fortunate - our cats have all been quite healthy. Grady did break his leg a year ago in March - surgery up at MSU cost us $1200. It could have been worse, though. And he is fine now.

catmandu
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I Budget 700 Dollars For Shots And A Check Up. And Have 2500 In A Fund In Case Of Extras, Like Dental.
Thank God, For My Vet Dr Marsales Who Helps Out A Lot.

jenluckenbach
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
The Luckenbach cats:

Rabies and distemper shots every OTHER year (as recommended by the vet)

MOST of the kitties will still receive a yearly visit even if no shots are needed, but I will admit that this year has been especially hard, and I have not taken some of the younger/healthier cats for their check up.

All 16 cats eat prescription food (from the vet) but I do mix a pet store brand into it to cut the cost just a bit.

4 cats (was 5 until recently) get daily medication. (from the vet)

Blood tests and urinalysis as needed. Even an x-ray or two.

Last year Amber had a dental, this year Monte will have his.

Lucas had an ultrasound and countless medications and tests and food changes to try to control his diarrhea (which we now know is caused by cancer).

Last year Rutherford had his PU and bladder stone surgeries after trying to treat his urinary blockages several other ways.

Anyway..........believe me, it is HARD!!! I can only afford to buy clothes at a thrift store. :( I haven't been to a movie theater in over 15 years. We never vacation away from home. But all of that is OK. The cats ARE my life. They see the doctor 10 times more often than I do. (LOL) And they probably eat better too.

jazzcat
06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I have 5 cats and all cats go in for an annual vet visit and vaccinations. Unfortunately with Ripley's kidney failure and constant UTIs he has to go in more frequently.

I can tell you in comparison my dog Disney costs much more in vet care and prevention than Ripley has because she had to have heartworm check and pills, fecal exams, flea and tick medication and her vaccinations cost more. She also had rotten teeth and had to have a dental about every two year (more frequently towards the end) plus she had allergies that would act up in spring and fall. Since my cats do not go outside they don't require near as much stuff as she did. I still miss her though and I'd do it all over again (hopefully I will someday soon). :(

Sevaede
06-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Even though I only have two cats, I thought I'd reply.

I have a piggy bank in which I deposit all my days leftover change and regularly put in large chunks ($20-50) so if I have a high vet bill then I am not incredibly worried.

Soni was a rescued stray and Isis was from a litter than an acquaintances cat had birthed. Soni has had his inoculations and was given his heartworm/flea preventative yesterday. The vaccines cost $40 plus a $20 booster. The preventatives are $15 each but come in boxes of six. Isis has not been inoculated, yet. She does get the preventatives, though. We spend about 30 dollars on food (Royal Canin hairball formula) and about 15 dollars on litter (Feline Pine) every month. Throw in ten bucks for treats and five for canned food.

Our vet is very nice, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced. But having the piggy bank helps! :)

Edit: I forgot to add that Soni has been to the vet once a month since we've had him for one reason or another (He will be one year on summer solstice and Isis is ten months) and Isis has had a couple. I will probably take them in for wellness visits twice a year, still. I have never had vets ask me for fecals so I've never brought them in.

Kfamr
06-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

I guess it all comes down to kitties being cheaper!

My dogs' food it $50 for a 35lb bag which I haven't bothered to pay attention to how much it lasts. :eek:

jenluckenbach
06-03-2006, 05:06 AM
I guess it all comes down to kitties being cheaper!

No, I think it all comes down to "there are good pet owners and there are bad pet owners." People could have 1 cat and not take it to the vet for 15 years. Same with dogs. Responsible people do the right things for their pets.

smokey the elder
06-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Half of my cats are 10 or over now, so get a baseline senior panel when they turn 10, then every other year if nothing unusual symptom-wise shows up. Moby's diabetes was caught on the biennial senior panel. It's tough to gauge how much I spend, but everyone gets one vet visit a year with staggered distemper and rabies shots; I plan on having the seniors titrated rather than getting them distemper shots. It's about $100 a head for baseline visit (office checkup and shots.) Moby needs to go in every other month or so for about $200 of blood work. Pink Nose's post-cancer tests are $300 each, twice a year. Moby's diabetic supplies will run about $600-700/year. Ebony, my old timer, was half a grand because he needed dental work, grooming, senior panel.

I'm glad I have a very good job so that I can keep my cats in the lifestyle that they are accustomed to! The above is just a sample of a year's vet bills. Food is roughly $50/month; litter $20/month for high quality scoopable. Moby's special litter is roundoff error since it lasts a LONG time!

It also pays to let people know you have a cat with special needs like diabetes or cancer. I have gotten donations of a special litter box, insulin syringes and a test kit from folks who had them and no longer needed them.
Thanks to all these folks!

catlady1945
06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
We have three cats. We take them for yearly check ups & vaccinations. Those visits are not cheap (in my opinion), but we get a 10% discount for multiple cats (which doesn't amount to much). Our cats are older, so we have the usual older cat problems. Our oldest one had a cyst removed and dental work last year which cost quite a bit. We spent a lot on our old girl who passed on 2 years ago. She had some health problems but she lived to be almost 20, with a good quality of life. Having companion animals can be costly, so I would advise people to consider carefully before making the big commitment.

Kfamr
06-03-2006, 09:18 AM
No, I think it all comes down to "there are good pet owners and there are bad pet owners." People could have 1 cat and not take it to the vet for 15 years. Same with dogs. Responsible people do the right things for their pets.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

My main question was HOW so many of you are able to pay for vet care for so many cats - when I have a fairly nice paying job and help from my parents and can bairly make it with three dogs!

So, cats ARE cheaper to care for from what everyone's posted here.

jazzcat
06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
So, cats ARE cheaper to care for from what everyone's posted here.
At my house if you are comparing straight basic annual vet care then yes, cats are cheaper (they don't go out so heartworm meds and flea meds are not required) but when one gets sick they are just as expensive as a dog.

As for month to month expenses I think it's fairly even because premium cat food cost just as much as premium dog food by the pound plus you have the added expense of litter. Of course 50 pound dogs eat more than 10 pound cats but the litter makes up the difference.

Cataholic
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I would have to agree, pound per pound, cats ARE cheaper. Maybe that is why I have so many? LOL, I couldn't afford this many doggies. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
My cats don't get yearly vaccinations but they do see the vet for checkups. My vet once told me that my cats are some of his best looking patients (health wise). I was very proud that he gave me and my cats such a compliment. It made me sad though to think that all cats aren't being cared for in the same manor.

I honestly don't pay any attention to the cost, if I did I'd probably faint.

Roxy was my expensive cat because she had a neurological disorder and had to see the vet more often than the others. She also was often on meds and she used dog pee pads rather than a litter box (she couldn't get into or stand in a litter box). We also ended up buying her a baby pack n' play. She was without a doubt my most expensive cat thus far.

Now that Roxy has gone to RB Oliver has taken over as my expensive kitty. He's not too bad though. He gets checkups a little more often than the others and he's on a special diet.