PDA

View Full Version : Ants

moosmom
06-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I was feeding the kits last night and saw this HUGE black ant near their food dishes. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of these suckers??? I try to vacuum up the kibble everyday to prevent ants.

I have heard one way is to put the food dishes in a bowl of water cuz ants can't swim.

gemini9961
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Donna, I do believe that's what we had to do when I was still at home, put the cats dishes into a large, it can be shallow bowl of water so the little nasty ants can't get into the food. It worked very well for us. If the ants are going to have to cross water to get to the food you have your problem solved. :)

shihtzulover850
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Get a spray. That usually helps us. Make sure you get a kind that is not harmful to cats or dogs. Keep them out of the area for a while until it dries. :D

mruffruff
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I've been feeding ferals in the field at work for 2 years using that method. A bowl in a pie plate works fine as long as the bowl doesn't touch the pie plate.

In the house, I would spray and watch for any more. One or two would be understandable, but more would call for more drastic action.

ChrisH
06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Donna, I have had trouble with ants for years and I find this is the only stuff that is not only excellent for getting rid of/preventing ants but also safe to use around pets.
Diatomaceous Earth (http://www.d-earth.co.uk/)