PDA

View Full Version : Ok, PTers I need YOUR help saving two kittens that are going to die

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I will try to make this a short story but I am afraid it won't turn into one. I have been looking on Petfinder alot lately( something I definitely have to stop doing) I look on the special needs cats because they have always held a special place in my heart since I have so many that are special needs. Anyway, I saw this 8-9 weeks old deaf white kitten and fell in love. She had two sisters in there with her. The place they are in is a high kill place not even a shelter really, it is animal control. I emailed the person they had listed and found out that once they are they they have 3 days before they are destroyed maybe sooner when they are overrun especially now that kitten season has hit. I told her I wanted the deaf kitten and told her if I could work something out that I would adopt her and her sisiters because i couldn't take her and leave her sisters to die. Now for the problem, I live in KY and they are in UTAH. I need help setting up a transport and getting peopel between Utah and Ky to help out and save their lives! Wolf Q lives in Utah about two hours from the place and she could pick them up but can't keep them because her parents are highly allergic to cats. She suggested me fly and ge them but two major reasons I can't do that, one money and the other I can't leave my diabetics and special needs. if I had the money I would pay her to fly them to me but I don't even know how much that would cost since I don't have that kind of money. The thing is this needs to be figured out now because i got an email today from the volunteer, here is what she wrote

I hope you are serious about getting these kittens. I just went in and they had already put one to sleep. I told them I would take the other 2 tomorrow morning. They have so many that they were forced to "thin" them out. And as I was leaving someone brought in another mother and a batch of kittens that they are putting down tonight.
I cant stop crying. I don't know how much longer I can do this...........
Let me know what you can work out.
Phylene

I about died when I read one is already dead!! Please please can people help me save these babies lives???? I am begging here.

here is the link to petfinder
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6377365
if it doesn't work the palce is brigham utah.

I don't even know which one was killed she didn't say. Please please someone help

melissa

catmandu
06-01-2006, 06:12 PM
We are praying that these two Kitties can be spared and become your friends.
Thats truly sad that the other little one was PTS.
Theres an Angel that knows that you wanted her, and she will be your Kitten.
One Fine Day.

jenluckenbach
06-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Talk to best friends sanctuary, They are in Utah. Maybe they can save the babies before it is too late and then you;d have more time for a transport.

Wolf Q, do you have a friend who would temporarily house the kittens? OR could you get them and have them boarded? anything to prolong the time we have to get a transport.

PM Mugsy (find her in the member's list) she knows a lot about transports. I also KNOW there are website specifically for forming transports, but I just don't know the URL's. :(

www.petfinder.org also has a message board (look at the very top of a petfinder webpage and click messages.....far right hand side) they have sections specifically for this sort of thing.

Best of luck with those babies.

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks Jen, I just pm'd Mugsy to see if she could help. I don't even know why they caught my eye and I am trying to do this. But I can't let them die now. i feel so bad that one did already and I couldn't save her. I talked to Phylene on the phone and she told me that since I agreed to take them that they will be altered tomorrow. She was happy I was getting them out. apparently they are putting so many down right now because of no room, jsut as soon as they bring them in. It is so sad. If you think of anything else that can help please let me know. i don't have a computer at home so try to get to my friend's once a day to check messages.
melissa

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Please keep this bumped up so people can see it that might be able to help.
thanks
melissa

kuhio98
06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
According to the PT map: http://www.frappr.com/ptersacrosstheworld
Wolf Q and Vela live in Utah

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks Kuhio! I knew about Wolf Q and she said she could pull the two left but couldn't house them until a transport could be set up because her parents allergies.
melissa

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I am so upset, I don't know which one they already killed

http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?animal=&breed=&age=&size=&specialNeeds=&declawedPets=&children=&status=&id=&internal=&contact=&name=&shelterid=UT95&sort=&preview=1

phesina
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Here is the address and main phone number for Best Friends from their web site (http://www.bestfriends.com/):

Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, Utah 84741-5000
Main phone: (435) 644-2001

I hope they can help or somehow you can get those precious kittens.

Pat Murray

Lizzie
06-01-2006, 10:13 PM
After reading these posts and all the way home on my long drive, I kept seeing that kitten who was bursting with life suddenly limp in death. And the mother with her kittens, finding shelter at last but all about to die. I couldn't wait to get home and cluster with my crew. The whole thing makes me intensely, no, incandescent with rage against the people who will not spay and neuter their cats. There is no excuse for their pig-headed, lazy behavior. This whole scenario should not have to take place.

I'm really glad you are taking the two kittens, probably the two who can hear, and I'm sure it made Phylene feel less hopeless. I was relieved to see Jen's post earlier because I couldn't think of a way I can help, and now you are getting more support. We'll make sure this thread stays bumped up.

kitimom
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
go to www.petloss.com and click on PET RAILROAD. These folks will try to sETup a transport to ya!!!! POST THAT YOU NEED HELP WITH THESEBABIES AND THEY WILL TRY TO SET UP A TRANSPORT FOR YA!!!
GOOD LUCK!!
sorry for the caps, i am typing one handed!!!
The link is:
http://p103.ezboard.com/petlossfrm4

Kfamr
06-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I wonder if a transport can't be put together if one of the airlines that flies cats would be willing to "donate" a seat to the kittens?

I wish you luck. :(

Erica
06-02-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm in the St. Louis area. If I can be of any help, please PM me.

jenluckenbach
06-02-2006, 04:51 AM
Since you are in contact with Phylene maybe she find a vet/boarding facility/no-kill group who will house these kittens before it is too late. Transports DO take some time to coordinate.

Also, PM Moosmom and find out about the pet transport airline she was going to use for Pumpkin. She said it was so much more reasonable than a commercial airline.

CultureJunky
06-02-2006, 05:01 AM
I have to admit until I joined Pet Talk, I didn't even realise that there were places that put cats/kittens down like that on such a scale. I understand they are over run, particularly when cats are in season, but I just didn't know that people would do that. I don't know of any places like that in the UK, though if there are any places like that that anybody in the UK knows of I'd like to know where they are.
There are lots of sanctuarys in the UK that don't put cats down, and also the major ones such as Cat's Protection, PDSA and RSPCA.
Do they give them an injection so they just fall asleep? As this is the humane way of putting an animal down. I just hope they don't suffer when they die or I'd just feel so depressed :(
Good luck with getting these babies, let us know when you can which one they have already put to sleep, I hope it's not the little deaf girl :mad:

doolittleky
06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Ok, I am trying to go through all the responses from people that I got from leaving pleas everywhere I could think of yesterday. First thing I did today is call best friends and left an urgent message for them to call to see if they could help. Next I talked to Phylene(the volunteer at animal control. She said the boy is the deaf one, petfinder ahd had the girl being the deaf one. So there is a girl and boy still alive. They were at the vet getting neutered and spay this morning. I asked if they ahd been combo tested and she said no but i could have that done while they were there today if I had a credit card. So i called the vet to find out how much it cost and see about it because I didn't think my credit card would work because it was at the limit. She said whihc of the three? And I said there are 3 and she said yes. I said I thought the thrid one was put down. She said she would call Phylene and see what was going on. I prayed so hard that it was true and they all three were still alive. The vet called back and said that Phylene siad the other one was from a different litter that the one I was talking about had been put down. My heart sank again. She said I could have the other if I wanted it though, it was getting spay too. So after trying two credit cards the second worked and they both got tested and they turned out Negative, thank God. Phylene is suppose to pick them up from the vet this afternoon and take them home with her. So now is where I have to figure out how they are getting from utah to Ky. As I said I have been answering all the messages that were left. Hopefully I can figure this out. I am not to good at organization though so any help will be appreciated.
melissa

doolittleky
06-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh and I just want to add this which made me sick to my stomach when I heard it. When I asked why one had been put down because I just couldn't understand how one did and they all didn't get killed. She said animal control put the black ones down first and then wants to give a variety of colors so that is how they picked the white girl. i guess they had alot of white kittens. I about died when I heard that!

doolittleky
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I went to mapquest to see how far and long from utah to Ky and here is their route

Maneuvers Distance Maps
1: Start out going WEST on W FOREST ST toward S 1000 W. 1.5 miles Map

2: Merge onto I-15 S / I-84 E via the ramp on the LEFT toward OGDEN. 23.0 miles Map

3: Merge onto I-84 E via EXIT 340 toward CHEYENNE. 39.1 miles Map

4: Merge onto I-80 E via the exit on the LEFT toward CHEYENNE (Passing through WYOMING- then crossing into NEBRASKA). 828.5 miles Map

5: Merge onto HOMESTEAD EXPY / SALT VALLEY RDWY / US-77 S via EXIT 397 toward BEATRICE. 2.5 miles Map

6: Merge onto VAN DORN ST / NE-2 E toward LINCOLN / NEBRASKA CITY. 1.4 miles Map

7: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NEBRASKA HWY / NE-2 E / S 9TH ST. Continue to follow NE-2 E (Crossing into IOWA). 53.2 miles Map

8: Merge onto I-29 S (Crossing into MISSOURI). 119.8 miles Map

9: Merge onto I-435 E via EXIT 14 toward ST LOUIS. 28.4 miles Map

10: Merge onto I-70 E via EXIT 63B on the LEFT toward ST LOUIS. 242.5 miles Map

11: Merge onto I-64 E toward ILLINOIS (Passing through ILLINOIS and INDIANA- then crossing into KENTUCKY). 258.5 miles Map

12: Merge onto S ROY WILKINS AVE via EXIT 4 toward DOWNTOWN. 0.4 miles Map

13: Turn LEFT onto W LIBERTY ST. 0.3 miles Map

14: Turn LEFT onto S 5TH ST. <0.1 miles Map

15: Turn LEFT onto W JEFFERSON ST. <0.1 miles Map

16: End at Louisville, KY US Map

Total Est. Time: 23 hours, 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1599.85 miles
Advanced OptionsShortest TimeShortest Distance
Avoid Highways
Avoid Tolls
Reverse Route

jenluckenbach
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Have you gone on the petfinder forum yet? I know that people there know more about transports.

doolittleky
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Yes I posted there last night but have not gotten a response as of yet.
melissa

doolittleky
06-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Best friends contacted me this morning and said she would be emailing some info to me about different routes I can take in transporting. But I havent' received them yet. Mugsy from here also called me and told me about Kittyhawk cargo that ships animals. I would have to get them to Denver Co for them to be shipped to Fort Wayne Ind. It would cost about 228.00 . I really don't have that kind of money but if I decide to go that route I will have to find it somewhere. Another person called me from somewhere that I had left a message and sent me links to truck drivers that do this for free. She said there is also an airlines where the stewardess's do it for free but she didn't know the name of it. Mugsy also said she is willing to set up a transport but because of the distance it would take two weekends for them to get here and they would have to stay somewhere for a week inbetween the transport. I am not sure what the best thing to do is but i only have until the 19th to get them here because the volunteer can't keep them past that.
Melissa

doolittleky
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Here is the place where the kittens are right now. The volunteer at animal control is the owner of this place.
http://www.elliespethotel.com/index.html

Cataholic
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Missy,
If you need financial help, please let me know!

Johanna