PDA

View Full Version : 6 month bday and Presley's sister

Presley
05-09-2002, 06:00 PM
OK... Please don't scream at me but I need to get your opinion..

Today was the first day I have spoke to Presley's sister owner for any length of time.. Usually it is Yes no yes no and goodbye kinda talks. But today we spoke and she asked me what I was up to. I told her I was hanging around the pool with Presley and playing with her and so on... She told me that I should bring the kiddy pool up to her place tomorrow and we can have a little party for there 6months tomorrow cause November is kinda cold for the pool... I said I would need to think about it..
I am unsure of what to do.. Presley was so scared of these people last time they were over. I miss my friend so much. It is selfish of me to want to be friends with her but i do miss her. I know Presley has a blast playing with her sister and their other lab. I don't know if i should take her over there...... :(

so confused... :confused:
Melissa & Presley

tatsxxx11
05-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Hi Melissa! That's a tough one! You are sure that it is the parents of Presely's sister that she (Presley) is afraid of??? That their presence may have been the cause of her seizures? I would really hesitate introducing her to that situation again. Do you have any concrete evidence that they may have treated her harshly? I wish there were some way that you could come clean with her, and tell her your fears. Maybe you could say that for some unknown reason, Presley seems to fear them. Dogs often do have a negative reaction to people/places etc. for no known reason. Maybe you could suggest that she drop off P's sister at your house for a day at the pool for starters? And you could, on another day, spend time with your friend so she doesn't feel slighted? I'm not sure how close you are with these people. I also don't think you can avoid them forever without letting them know how you feel. I think you would feel better if you could talk about the situation with her. I hate thinking the dogs are missing out on the fun of being together; or you losing a friend! Lets see what some others think! Sandra

Presley
05-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi,
Yes I do know they have done stuff to her and some of what they did. I also do know she fears them, Last time they were over she tucked her tail,was crawling on the ground and she was shaking very badly (the vet says that was most likly a seizure).
She knows that Presley fears them and I have made that clear in the past. She also asked me if i thought Presley could handle coming over there and i said i didn't know.
I do feel bad for this whole thing because we were all very close.
We went away on trips together and we spend like 2-3 evenings a week together before all this happened. In July I am going away to a horse clinic with their one son and my friend.. We spend Xmas/New Years/B-Days/Easter/Any holiday together.. Her kids would spend the night over here all the time. I don't even have kids, Their one son is like my own.... I just don't know what to do...I don't think I could ever forget what happened.

Melissa & Presley

Gio
05-10-2002, 06:36 AM
What a horrible situation you're in. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I would do. If any of my pets were so afraid of someone I would not have the heart of putting them through that experience again. I tend to be a touch overprotective when it comes to my pets and this comes from someone who feels more at ease in the company of animals than other people's. On the other hand I also know how heart breaking losing a friendship can be and why this thought hurts you so much. My thoughts are with you.

anna_66
05-10-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Presley

Yes I do know they have done stuff to her and some of what they did. I also do know she fears them

Sorry if I sound rude, but if they did something bad to Presley, personally I wouldn't want to be around them, let alone let my dog who had seizures (maby, partly due to this-because I don't know what happened) have to be around them. I say, if it's your friend and you want to spend time with her, great! Just tell her you don't think Presley could handle it, that way you don't have to hurt her feelings. Hope I didn't sound too harsh

Presley
05-10-2002, 09:02 AM
No anna you don't sound harsh.. I know where you are coming from and I too didn't want anything to do with them at all.. I feel like i'm stuck in the middle because she wont just leave me alone. After this happened my call display would show her calling me 5 to 20 times a day. I don't want to let Presley see them.. But she already did once at the beach and she acted the same way then. We live in a small town so I am bound to run into one of them....
I just thought maybe if she seen them and it was a nice experiance then things might be ok and Presley might be more excepting... Oh well I think we will just stay home anyways..

Melissa & Presley

lizbud
05-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Presley's Mom,

Do you mind telling us just what exactly they
did to Presley? Did someone(who?)scold her or
correct some behavior to harshly? If they have
different ideas about raising an animal than you
do, you'll always be at odds over the dog.Guess
I'm just trying to figure what exactly (they?)
did. A difference of methods can be discussed
and they mustlet you decide what's best.But if
they did something that was just cruel & mean, I
would not ever let Presley be around them ever.
Don't really understand enough to offer any
other help.

Dixieland Dancer
05-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi Melissa!
I would be very cautious around Presley's sister owners. I can understand that you miss your friend but is it possible to find other friends who share your love of dogs. Perhaps joining a obedience club or something like that can help.

If you do take Presley around them, proceed cautiously. Make sure you are paying close attention to her and at the first sign of uncomfortable feelings in her, GET HER OUT OF THERE! When it comes to my dogs, I trust their judgement and if they don't like someone it is usually for good reason. Presley doesn't feel this way for no reason. Perhaps being outdoors will help instead of being confined to a room.

Let us know what you decide.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-10-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi,
Yes I do know they have done stuff to her and some of what they did. I also do know she fears them, Last time they were over she tucked her tail,was crawling on the ground and she was shaking very badly (the vet says that was most likly a seizure).
To me the risk of putting an animal in this situation and possibly triggering another seizure is not worth being nice to the ones who cause it. I know sadly, from personal experience that seizures can be fatal. I'd just tell them it's the vet's orders; she is not to be around them. If I wanted to socialize with them myself, it would have to be outside of the home like a restaraunt or something where Presley would not be. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Presley
05-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Greetings...
I just wanted to let you all know that no Presley will not be going over there. Either will I... I spoke to my friend this morning and told her that i didn't think it would be a good idea. She basically told me i'm spoiling Presley(Which yes she is but this isn't one of those cases) and that letting her get use to them again would be good for her. I said last two times she seen you guys she tucked her tail, crawled and shaked badly. I wasn't going to let her keep having those bad experiences... I don't care about my friendship with her anymore.. She doesn't understand what they did to my dog.. This really makes me angry because I thought she understood. I thought she would face up to what they did but she still says no, That the one who told me all this lied.. I also am not dealing with her phone calls anymore and blocked out her phone #'s.

Sorry I would not like to go into what happened but think the worst and you are probably not far off.. Yes i am taking it that their methods of punishment are Far different then mine..
I don't yell at Presley, nor have i ever spanked her...

Also the vet and breeder both told me not to take her around them again because she will never forget...

sorry
Melissa & Presley

momoffuzzyfaces
05-10-2002, 11:53 AM
I thought she would face up to what they did but she still says no, That the one who told me all this lied.. Also the vet and breeder both told me not to take her around them again because she will never forget...
The person who told you may have lied but Presley isn't lying. Her behavior speaks volumns. The vet and breeder are right. I know this has been hard on you. It's evident from your posts, how much you love Presley. I'm so glad you have that precious animal now and she won't have to be afraid anymore.

Albea
05-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Melissa:
I think you're doing the best thing for Presley by keeping her away from those people. Besides, do you really want to be friendly with individuals who mistreat a dog?:mad: If this sounds harsh, so be it. I'm sure the two of you will have plenty of fun without exposing her to any more terrifing experiences.

anna_66
05-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Melissa, I hope you know and understand that we are not trying to be mean. We just care for you and Presley's welfare! Your part of the "family"!

Tanya&Fritz
05-10-2002, 12:53 PM
What horrible people. I'll never understand how someone could hurt a dog. You're not spoiling Presley, you just love him. I'm so glad you're not going over there.

lizbud
05-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Melissa,

Please, there's no need explain any more about Presley's
treatment by these people.I think I get the picture now.
Just want to say that I agree with your decision not to let
them around Presley anymore.Taking Presley to more classes
& other events with you will help her gain more self confidence.
That , and just being allowed to grow & mature naturally,
without having to be involved with them at all.I think you are
a better Momma to Presley, than they will ever know.Give
Presley Hugs from Liz & Buddy.

Dixieland Dancer
05-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Melissa,
A big pat on the back to you! You made the right decision for sweet Presley! You can have a 6 month party for her without her sister. I also agree that having friends like that is probably not worth having.

When I was 17 years of age, my best friend started doing heavy drugs, drinking and dabbling in witchcraft. I told her I would always care for her and if she ever needed someone to help her, to give me a call. At the age of 39, she overdosed and died. I never had contact with her again after I broke off our friendship although people around town would often speak to me about her. She was very mad at me but I did not need involved in that kind of life style and knew she would drag me down with her if I stayed friends.

I went to her funeral and was shocked at how pale and old she looked. Walking away was a very difficult thing to do but probably one of the best decisions, people wise, I have ever made in my life!

ramanth
05-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey Melissa,

Don't be sorry. You did the right thing. Presley's health and safety is the top priority and you are doing just that. Watching out for him.

Give yourself a big hug for me. You deserve it.

Hugs and tail wags,

Presley
05-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to add Presley is loaded with confidence, she is bold, she is Happy, and she loves being around everyone expect these people. I have no problems with her fearing anyone we come accross on our walks or classes or at the pet store or anywhere we go and might see some stranger or someone she has known since i got her. She is a loving affectionate puppy who wants to see and be with everyone she see's except these people.
Presley is spoilt.. Big time but she is my baby.. I love her to death and i give her the best of everything i can (except for plush toys cause they last a whole 30 minutes now that she has mastered ripping them apart and putting the stuffing everywhere.. to her that is the best fun!). I don't think i want another dog... I felt bad at first and really wanted to get another lab because she doesn't get to play with her sister anymore (her sister isn't allowed in my house because she is well 6 months old and is not house trained because she spend 95% of her day in a dog run. They wont watch her or clean up after her. Presley was house trained months ago and we had 3 accidents around when she was having her seizures but no more and non before that for a lonnnng time) Anyways this is a lot of babbling.
Anyways, She is staying with us.. She will not see them and i will find her other puppies to play with.

Melissa & Presley

ramanth
05-10-2002, 01:26 PM
That is wonderful that she likes other people and dogs. Is there a Dog Park nearby that you could take her too? Or perhaps another friend who has a dog that you can share your walks with?

If not, I just know Presely will enjoy the time she gets with you.

Nothing wrong with spoiling a dog.

At least Kia doesn't think so.... ;) :rolleyes: :D

Presley
05-10-2002, 01:36 PM
7 DAYS TILL 'ATTACK OF THE CLONES!' ????????

There is no where really that is dog friendly here. But i do know others with dogs and she plays with them. But her sister and her seem to really play nicely.. Ah well.. She is happy puppy now anyways this is all that matters to me.. :)

I don't think she minds being spoilt either :rolleyes:

Melissa & Presley :D

ramanth
05-10-2002, 01:40 PM
7 DAYS TILL 'ATTACK OF THE CLONES!' ????????

That's it.... I'm changing my sig. LOL!!

Star Wars: Episode II.. :D :D

Presley
05-10-2002, 01:43 PM
hehehehehe
i kinda thought maybe star wars (sorry not a fan at all)

:)

Cincy'sMom
05-10-2002, 03:51 PM
I think you are doing the right thing . Although it is hard to end a friendship, you need to feel comfortable with your friends. And if Presley isn't comfortable, you won't be.

tatsxxx11
05-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Sweet Melissa, I think you are doing the absolute best thing!! It's just not worth the risk, subjecting Presley to such stress. And it would be very hard for me to be close friends with anyone who would strike or terrorize an animal; especially if it were mine! I hope your friend can come to understand that you are taking this step out of love and concern for a living being you cherish. If she is any sort of a true friend, she will accept that. I think you come to feel very comfortable with your decision. Hugs to Happy Presely!!!! Love, Sandra

Kfamr
05-10-2002, 10:46 PM
I think you did the right thing.... I just wonder how they treat their other 2 dogs? :( :confused:

Kfamr
05-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

That's it.... I'm changing my sig. LOL!!

Star Wars: Episode II.. :D :D

by the way.. watched Episode I.... im hooked now.. can wait to see episode II!! I liked the lil boy Anikin (probably spelt that wrong) ... love that name though... never though id like star wars!

Presley
05-11-2002, 01:14 AM
I don't know how they treat their own dogs, Only that they spend 95% of the day and 100% of the nights in a dog run. Even though she doesn't work and can let the dogs inside if she choses.. But as she puts it, The ticking noise of their nails on their hardwood floods bothers her.. We got our dogs from the same breeder and I know she was planning on going back to this breeder for a yellow when she breeds again next year.. But I pulled a nasty and made hints to the breeder as to who the people where (The breeder knows these people and I were very close and i did slip and say *Presley's sister* over the phone to the breeder :) ... ) So she knows what I was talking about.
She also did thank me for telling her, As she said she trusts the people who take her puppies home and to find out this about them help her screen better now.

Presley
05-11-2002, 01:28 AM
Ohhh Yesss 30 more minutes and my sweet baby girl is 6 months old!!! I made her homemade frosty paws and I am hoping for the sun to be out for the pool and a couple friends are coming over for a BBQ and treats for the pups!! No bad people allowed!
okokok i am a sad 27yo....

Melissa & Presley

tatsxxx11
05-11-2002, 05:30 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRESLEY!! Have a great day at your pool party/BBQ!:D Homemade frosty paws, yum! Hugs and kisses to you precious Presely! Love, Sandra, Cody and Star!