PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Remedy

catnapper
05-31-2006, 06:48 PM
The vet suggested Rescue Remedy for Pouncer's stress, or Composure. Anyone heard of Composure? Does it work? Does the Rescue Remedy work? The vet said the Composure takes a while to buld up in the cat's system, so I want ot start it ASAP so that he has a good amount in him before the baby arrives. I know the baby will stress him out.

Finally got the word from the vet regarding the urinalysis: Pouncer is not sick. So who IS? If Pouncer's not the culprit, who could be? I can't afford to take 4 cats one by one to be tested. I had read that there's a medicine you can give a cat that will change his/her urine color so that you can see who is being bad. My vet tech didn't know what I was talking about, so she couldn't help me. But does anyone here know what I'm talking about? I was thnking of starting with Allen, then after a few weeks move to Harry, then the girls. If I find pee that's "normal" colored, then I know its not the cat on the medicine.

Sigh. I honestly don't care about cleaning up pee, especially since they seem to be prefering hard surfaces.... I just want to know who is doing it and get them healthy again.

Glacier
05-31-2006, 07:14 PM
I use Rescue Remedy all the time. Pete and Onyx pick on Ivy something terrible. At my vet's suggestion, I add rescue remedy to their water every day. It has greatly reduced the picking on Ivy. I use it alot with the dogs too--Pingo gets it if I know there is a storm coming, Kayleigh gets it before she goes to the vet.

Have you tried Feliway? I have the diffusers throughout the house. It does seem to help both with inappropriate peeing and aggression towards each other (well, mainly aggression towards Ivy. The Princess is a target for the other cats!).

The bonus of Rescue Remedy is it works for humans too. I've been known to dose myself up before taking Kayleigh to the vet!

catmandu
06-01-2006, 08:44 AM
We Hope That You Can Somehow, Someway Stop The Peeing.
Thats A Terrible Smell, And It Ruins Whatever It Touches.
You Are Such A Good Meowmie , You Dont Deserve All This Aggrivation

emily_the_spoiled
06-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I tried the Rescue Remedy and ti didn't seem to do anything for my guys (maybe I didn't use it for long enough :confused: )

I am not sure of the medicine you are talking about to test a cat's urine, but I do know that there is a product available in PetSmart that can help determine if your cat has a UTI. It is kept in the litter department and is a small box of litter with some chemical in it and when the cat pees in the litter, if it changes colour then the cat has an infection. With multiple cats you would have to confine them to solitary confinment so that only one at a time would use the special litter.

Good luck and sorry that it was't Pouncer

Catsnclay
06-01-2006, 02:12 PM
The only thing we have used, and with some good results is the Feliway disfusers. I always have one going, and 2 when it is cool enough to open the doors and windows.

Keep in mind, it will not FIX the problem, it will only help ease it. Yoshi (my pee'r) is also taking 0.3 ml of Fluoxetine every am. So between the two, it has helped.

The only time he "slips" up is during the cooler months, when I have the doors and windows open, he tends to pee even with everything :( But that is what we have to live with, so at least we are prepared, somewhat.

kb2yjx
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Perhaps you can try the Bach Flower Remedy WALNUT. It is suppose to help with changes, like moving, a new pet, and in your case, a baby. Did the vet also teel you to get a recording of a baby crying, so the cat can get use to that sound? Good Luck!!

catfamily
06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I went online and bought the whole line of Bach's rescue remedies for all moods and problems in cats.(plus I bought 2 books on it that are very easy to read and understand) to help guide me.They work great in most cases.Mine have responded very well with them.Good Luck Kim.
http://www.crystalherbs.com/bach_remedies.asp?gclid=CLvvnbK1qIQCFQkVHgodZnA8iA