PDA

View Full Version : FIV INFO Needed

kuhio98
05-31-2006, 06:00 PM
IMOM was able to help out a poor kitty yesterday (see details below).
However, since he is FIV+ his mom is unsure what to do. She would like to keep this little guy, but is concerned about the health of her other pets. He is in Georgia.

If you have any helpful information, please post if on this thread:
http://p088.ezboard.com/fimomcommunityfrm43.showMessage?topicID=114.topic

From Baily's Mom: Hi-

I'm Crystal, new "mom" to Bailey. I just wanted to take a moment first to thank every single donor - both from the bottom of my heart and the bottom of Bailey's. He went last night to the vet - and they immediatly did the emergency surgery - moving it up from when it was scheduled the next day. He was in so much pain yesterday - I have never seen an injury like his, and neither had the vet. I can't even begin to describe how grotesque it was. He was mewing in pain constantly and it broke my heart. I currently have 4 cats and 2 dogs (all which are rescued pets) and am on SSI disability - I just didnt have any funds to do anything - but I just couldnt just leave him out there suffering the way he was. I called every vet in the phone book and called/emailed every single agency I could find - and the only help I found was someone that offered to euthenize him for free. I dont have the heart to do that though.

Then someone referred me to IMOM - and within hours, Bailey was being seen at a vet. I am so thankful for IMOM and it's donors - and if Bailey could talk, Im sure he'd be giving more thanks than me. He is sleeping peacefully over the air vent in the bathroom right now - obviously thankful to be inside, fed, and not in pain anymore. I have never seen him look as happy as he does right now - I know that may sound silly with a cat...but he really does seem happy. I am going to use my neighbors digital camera tomorrow to take a picture of it and post it. Im sure all of you would like to see him. I only wish I had a before picture - but then it may be something that shouldnt be posted anyways because of how graphic it would have been. It upset my stomach just to look at him. If the sight of the injury wasnt bad enough - him stepping on it & the horrible mewing sounds he was making broke my heart over and over. I was petrified that he would die before I could find help. It was unbearable to see and hear him in so much pain and feel utterly helpless in the situation.

They gave him an emergency neuter, and also began meds for a nasty upper respitory infection. They had
to stitch up his scrotum too because it had ripped after stepping on his uncovered testicle so much. He did
test positive for FIV - and that I worry about. I want to keep him because he trusts me so - but Im scared of the risk of transmitting it to my other 4 cats. Im not sure what I should do - Ive never dealt with FIV before. I do not know if I should take him to a FIV no kill shelter, or if I should keep him. For now, he is being contained in my bathroom. Im disabled and am home the majority of the time, so I guess thats a plus - but I could really use some advice. I just want to do what is best for Bailey. If anyone can post on FIV - and having a FIV positive cat with other healthy cats - I would greatly appreciate it.

And, I would like to say again how thankful Bailey and I are for IMOM's donors - and for the sweetness and helpfulness of Cindy during all of our communications. I was on my knees praying after I called every vet and agency in the phone book - and IMOM was the answer to my prayers. I truly believe that this was sent from God - that this was the answer to my prayers. I cant express my gratitude enough, I really cant. Thank you all so very much.

-Crystal F.

catmandu
05-31-2006, 06:12 PM
I Hope That They Can Find Him A Home Where He Will Be The Sole Cat, Just In Case.

Lizzie
05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Lisa - thank you for the heads-up. I joined the forum and posted my response. I do hope she keeps him. I don't at all regret adopted my five FIV+ cats and there's been no problems, even with my rather frail and elderly Ginger. Funnily enough, the only cat to get a cold is one of my non-FIV cats and no-one caught it from her.

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Kuhio,
Please have her call me. I think katie emailed you my phone number last night. I have two FIV+ cats and have had one of them since 1999 and the other a year now. I can give her all the experience I ahve had with them.
Melissa

kuhio98
06-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Kuhio,
Please have her call me. I think katie emailed you my phone number last night. I have two FIV+ cats and have had one of them since 1999 and the other a year now. I can give her all the experience I ahve had with them.
Melissa

Melissa ~ I do not have any way of contacting her other than on the IMOM board (link posted in my original message). I didn't want to post your phone number over there, so I posted my e-mail address asking her to contact me. I have not heard from her yet. Lizzie posted some helpful information at the IMOM link. You may want to add your 2 cents worth. Thank you for helping out.
Lisa

doolittleky
06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Kuhio,
I added my two cents(there was already alot of info and didn't want to repeat it) and told her to feel free to call me.
Melissa

QueenScoopalot
06-02-2006, 12:38 AM
I have a load of links about cats & FIV...
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/fiv/index.shtml
http://www.v63.net/fivcats/
http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/alphalinks2-a.html
Scroll down 3/4ths of the way last link and there's a plethora of FIV articles. ;)