PDA

View Full Version : Now every pregnant woman on the face of the earth...

moosmom
05-31-2006, 07:45 AM
will be dumping their cats because it's been "proven" that cats can cause eczema in babies. Oh great. Just one more reason to get rid of the family cat.

I saw the "article" on CNN internet. Unfortunately it's a video and my computer at work doesn't have video capabilities.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Oh good grief! what a load of old rubbish...... IMO the biggest damage to health is the news reports

JenBKR
05-31-2006, 08:02 AM
I know, I've heard that before.....unfortunately people don't look into the facts. From what I understand, it's mostly if your cat is an outdoor cat, and then it has to do wih cleaning the litter box. So, wear a mask or get someone else to clean it! I already told my husband that he has to clean the litter box when I'm pregnant...I also told him that I'm not allowed to use any cleaning products, so he'll have to do all the cleaning. haha I can't wait to be pregnant! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Pregnant women should definitely not clean out littertrays that is true because it can be dangerous to unborn babies (toxi-something or other)

I also told him that I'm not allowed to use any cleaning products, so he'll have to do all the cleaning.

Jen, I think the above applies to all domestic chores due to heavy/awkward equipment, long bouts of standing on your feet, etc etc and it takes a good 18 months (or years if you're really crafty) to be able to even think about them once you have given birth

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Well my babies are going NOWHERE!!!

The people I work with are already telling me i'm gonna "have to get rid of my cats because they will get jealous and steal the babies breath"...

And i've already told them all if that were true... it would be all over the news and there would be no domestic cats... :rolleyes:

Poor kitties. :(

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 08:43 AM
your kitties are cute!! :)

Samantha Puppy
05-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Eh, there's medication for excema... IF that's even true. I'm thinking it may not be such a common thing because a lot of people have cats as pets. Don't you think there'd be a lot more people with excema than there are - now, and throughout time? Bah.

I cannot tell you how many people asked not IF but WHEN I was getting rid of ALL of my animals once I became pregnant! And they were astounded when I told them we weren't giving up any of them.

JenBKR
05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Jen, I think the above applies to all domestic chores due to heavy/awkward equipment, long bouts of standing on your feet, etc etc and it takes a good 18 months (or years if you're really crafty) to be able to even think about them once you have given birth

Yeah, I think you're right, hmm didn't think of that. I will have to tell my husband he'll have to start cooking too because ya know, can't be on my feet that long, and for the next 18 months - 18 years I will still be recovering and will really have to take it easy ;)

moosmom
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Brody's Mum,

It's called Toxoplasmosis and pregnant women should definitely NOT go anywhere near the litterbox during their pregnancy.

Samantha Puppy
05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Brody's Mum,

It's called Toxoplasmosis and pregnant women should definitely NOT go anywhere near the litterbox during their pregnancy.

I did. My husband was working insane hours and couldn't scoop them as often as was necessary so I figured it was better if I kept them clean rather than have them fill it up and walk all over clumped pee and poop and then get up on my bed and pillow, etc. I just wore gloves when I did it.

moosmom
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I would also suggest a mask just to be on the safe side. You can never be too careful.

caseysmom
05-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I raised two healthy babies with my kitty with no problem. I even cleaned the litter box because I didn't know any better.

Actually having a pet helps children to not get allergies.

Miss Z
05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I read an article about that in National Geographic, but I'm sure it said something about how we could never be sure if it was true:confused:

What a great way to fill up shelters even more:mad: :(

davidpizzica
05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
That was the lame excuse Nikki's former owner gave in surrendering Nikki.

moosmom
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Actually the video said it COULD cause eczema in babies.

Cataholic
05-31-2006, 02:08 PM
I had toxoplasmosis WAY before I became pregnant with Jonah. Chances were good that I contracted it through my cats, but, everyday dirt, as well as uncooked meat are also likely suspects.

As for not changing the litterbox while pregnant? L-O-L. Okay. Sure. LOLOL. I can't remember which way it is, but, something like it is dangerous if you contract it in the beginning of the pregnancy, but, less likely to pass to the baby, or, more dangerous in the end to contract it, but, less likely to cause any damage. In any event, like everything else, you just act smart about it. I didn't scoop the litter with my bare hand- he he he, and I always, like today, washed my hands after scooping.

I think it is hysterical what people will use as excuses to dump their pets. It is the same pregnant person that dumps their cat but smokes, or, doesn't exercise, or, doesn't take prenatals. Or, it is the same person that dumps their cat when their child is born, but, sits the kid in front of the tv for 10 hours, doesn't breastfeed, or, doesn't protect their child from second hand smoke or the sun.

I work with some people like that. "well, MY doctor said...blah, blah, blah..." Ok, did your doctor also tell you to have six cans of pop a day, and forego all exercise? Prolly not. So, stop using some lame-o excuse to justify your bad behavior. Just call it like it is.

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses. Whatever makes someone feel good about a bad deed.

Cataholic
05-31-2006, 02:10 PM
And, while I am ranting...I wonder if I can blame my acne on the fact I was brought up with dogs? If cats can cause excema, why can't dogs cause pimples? :D

moosmom
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
ROFLMAO!! Johanna, you never cease to make me smile and I certainly needed one today. In the middle of a major personal meltdown right now.

Whatever makes someone feel good about a bad deed.

Absolutely!!!

Barbara
05-31-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it is hysterical what people will use as excuses to dump their pets. It is the same pregnant person that dumps their cat but smokes, or, doesn't exercise, or, doesn't take prenatals. Or, it is the same person that dumps their cat when their child is born, but, sits the kid in front of the tv for 10 hours, doesn't breastfeed, or, doesn't protect their child from second hand smoke or the sun.

I couldn't agree more. There are risks in life. Your cat can bite you and you die from sepsis.
The risks cats bring are comparatively small ;)

catnapper
05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey, back to toxo.... I was reading Cat Fancy in the vet yesterday and there was an article about Toxo.... apparently, its only dangerous to the baby in the 1st trimester and has NO effect after the 1st trimester ends. Also, any given cat might have it, only only once in their life, for 7-10 days are they infectious. Mighty low chance of geting it from your at if you're smart for 3 months.

They said Toxo is everywhere, mostly on aw meats. You're more apt ot get it if you cut up infected chicken than from your cat.

Oh dear.... Ashley will just have an itchy child because these 5 buggers aren't going anywhere. They'll be itchy from eczema, but their immune system will be great because its been prooven cats bolster an infant's immune system and protect them from asthma.

carole
05-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Gosh Kim that is a very interesting fact, i had a kitty before i had my son, but kitty disappeared, i never got another after that until Ash came along, my son has asthma, i wish i had known that, because i would have gotten a kitty smart as.

I really do get sick of people going on and on about cats, bad stuff, it happens here too, my niece is going to have a baby soon, i hope her hubby does not hear about this, he already thinks they should not keep Neo because they are having a baby, makes me hopping mad, but luckily my niece won't have a bar of that..he will certainly be getting a right telling off from me next time i see him.

Sevaede
05-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Pregnant women should definitely not clean out littertrays that is true because it can be dangerous to unborn babies (toxi-something or other)

Toxoplasmosis, I believe. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2006, 05:13 AM
And, while I am ranting...I wonder if I can blame my acne on the fact I was brought up with dogs? If cats can cause excema, why can't dogs cause pimples? :D

In that case I'm going to blame my lack of intelligence on cleaning out my guinea pigs hutches, without them I'd have been a true genius :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Brody's Mum,

Thank you

Cataholic
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey, back to toxo.... I was reading Cat Fancy in the vet yesterday and there was an article about Toxo.... apparently, its only dangerous to the baby in the 1st trimester and has NO effect after the 1st trimester ends. Also, any given cat might have it, only only once in their life, for 7-10 days are they infectious. Mighty low chance of geting it from your at if you're smart for 3 months.

I knew it was something about the first trimester...he he he. I think I told you guys before, but, when I got toxo, people at work called it my 'cat bumps' since my lymph nodes swelled. They still tease me! :eek: :D

Lobodeb
06-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Hugito has ezcema. When my boss read this article, she came running to me showing me as if she'd discovered something no one has seen before. Her comment to me, "well, at least you now only have to get rid of one cat now that Payton is dead!" :eek: :mad: :(

I told her my cat isn't going anywhere.

Maresche
06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Hugito has ezcema. When my boss read this article, she came running to me showing me as if she'd discovered something no one has seen before. Her comment to me, "well, at least you now only have to get rid of one cat now that Payton is dead!" :eek: :mad: :(

I told her my cat isn't going anywhere.

Sounds like your boss needs to work on her people skills. :mad:

I'm always surprised by how many people have no ability to think and make judgment calls for themselves.

..I'm pregnant, so I must get rid of my loyal kitties because everyone says I have to. Thinking about it myself and finding alternatives would be too hard....

....My child has been born, so I must get rid of my loyal kitties because the doctor's say it increases the chances of getting ezcema. Let's forget that you're chances of getting ezcema also increase if you are, you know, breathing. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the day the doctor's say that having a mother is dangerous to your child's health!

JenBKR
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm waiting for the day the doctor's say that having a mother is dangerous to your child's health!

LOL or having a MOTHER-IN-LAW :D

Crazy-Cat-Lover
06-01-2006, 02:39 PM
My boys aren't going anywhere. I love my cats and wouldn't give them up because I'm pregnant. My doctor warned me about toxoplasmosis and said it would be best if I rehomed my cats (first pregnancy). I just let someone else change the litter, then I am not exposing myself to it. I never knew cats could cause excema in babies?! Excema is easily treated, so why put yourself and your cats through the stress of rehoming?

Lobodeb
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM

Actually, that one is clinically proven! I swear on everything that's holy! :D

Samantha Puppy
06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
HEAR, HEAR!!!!!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Actually, that one is clinically proven! I swear on everything that's holy! :D

I second that!

Jods
06-16-2006, 09:52 PM
HEY HEY not every mother ;) Some of us aren't that stuipid although Pixie does annoy me all day trying to lay on the baby LOL :)

Sophist
06-18-2006, 07:52 PM
My dad banned all cats from the house until my mom was totally done even thinking about having any more children. I have eczema, AND psoriasis. Sorry, dad. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

On a side note, a lick from a cat IS a sure-fire way to flare up my psoriasis. Doesn't do a thing to my eczema, though. :p