PDA

View Full Version : The joys of job hunting...*update*

k9krazee
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, I've been looking for a job for months, but it seems nobody will hire a high schooler these days. :rolleyes: I put apps in at ALL the petstores around here and other small businesses, along with a resume I wrote up, went in person to check up on them, called, and was never even called about an interview. About a week ago I decided to put an app in at the local FunTyme (a place that has go carts and mini golf), I haven't checked up on it at all, I didn't include my resume, I didn't even want the job, lol! But guess what, I have an interview set up for Thursday at 4:30. Great. Working as a cashier at a place that gets very little business, sounds like great fun. But, I guess I can't be picky, a job is a job, right?

caseysmom
05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
It may not be a good job but it will be better on your resume than no job. Just make the best of it and enjoy the money. Good luck on your interview.

Suki Wingy
05-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Hurray for a job! I HATE my job at walgreens, my last day is in a week and a half, I barley lasted 2 paychecks. :rolleyes: I got the money I needed for my CALF(!) though so I don't have to depend on the Petsmart job I applied for.

Register work is the easiest job you can have in a place like that.

Karen
05-31-2006, 06:04 AM
At this point in your life, a job is a job! Yours is better - more suited to be a teenager - than my first job! I applied everywhere, too, except fast food places. I ended up with a job at a wig store in a mall, with 3-inch-long hot pink fake fur on the walls. My hair was even longer then than it is now, down past my shoulderblades, so I was a pretty unlikey wig candidate!

Enjoy it - any job working with the public will leave you with stories to tell!

Rachel
05-31-2006, 07:23 AM
What a golden opportunity - to start out on a first job with a clean slate.
Be proud of whatever work you do and vow to be the best cashier this place has ever had. Look to finding a way to be helpful without waiting to be told. Arrive a bit early and be dependable by being there every day you are scheduled. Treat your customers with enthusiam Add your personal touch to the minute they spend with you. They are there to spend their hard earned money on a bit of entertainment. Greet them with a smile and try to interact a little if you can, especially with the kids. Treat your supervisor with respect, whether or not you always agree with him/her.

Don't think for a minute that you can't make an impression as a cashier. It can be a real downer to deal with someone while they totally ignore me as the customer and instead carry on a conversation with a co-worker. It can lift my spirits to have a cashier look me in the eye, smile, and make a comment about my purchase or the day or weather or whatever.

Consider yourself a team member of your organization, no matter what part you play. You'll be surprised at the compliments you can receive. Best part will be a glowing recommendation for your next job - which can be worth more than you can ever imagine.

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 08:21 AM
At this point in your life, a job is a job! Yours is better - more suited to be a teenager - than my first job! I applied everywhere, too, except fast food places. I ended up with a job at a wig store in a mall, with 3-inch-long hot pink fake fur on the walls. My hair was even longer then than it is now, down past my shoulderblades, so I was a pretty unlikey wig candidate!

Enjoy it - any job working with the public will leave you with stories to tell!
oh my gosh that is hilarious!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

k9krazee
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys :) Well, I got the job!!! I'll start next Tuesday or Wednesday!

Rachel
06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Congratualations!