PDA

View Full Version : Chewing, chewing, and Chewing!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
This is the one thing that I DON'T miss about having a pup!
Rita chews on all the plants, shoes, clothes, skin, (ouch!) the outside furniture, (thankfully not the inside furniture, *knocks on wood*) :rolleyes:
Any tips on how to control this? Any good chew toys I could get, that would really intrest her? Thanks!

sparks19
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I know a lot of people do not recommend rawhide bones but I find the pressed rawhide is not so bad.

Anyway that was our saving grace with Teddy. He enjoyed real bones until he got all the meat off and it didn't seem to quelch his appetite for destruction (chewing) It almost seemed as if he needed the rawhide because he could see progress with his chewing. The more he chewed the more he wore down the rawhide. that seemed to keep him happy.

Also I don't know if you have ever tried bitter apple spray?! It does't work for everyone but if you have a dog that really dislikes it then it is a God send. LOL Teddy chewed a window sill in his room almost right down to the wall. I sprayed it with B.A. and he never touched it again

lute
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
puppy chewing was a problem with Gracie. we went through so many toys it was crazy! a Kong full of peanut butter fianlly conquered the chewing. she destroys all her toys, but she's had this Kong since she was 9 weeks old. she's actually playing with it right now. chewing wasn't a problem with Jake. the ONLY thing he chewed other than his toys was THE WALL! :eek: fortinatly the kong came to the rescue once more and Jake would chew on the Kong instead of the wall.

GoldenLuv
05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Well with a firm NO and give the cutie pie something that can chew on and it will take some time.. Labs are bull headed and very stubborn...lol

get a puppy kong Nylan bone just a bunch of toys..

Rachel
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
The lesson we learned was to keep things put away. If you notice that she has chewed a little hole in the corner of a pillow on the sofa, take the pillows off the sofa for 6 months. Eventually this stage does pass. Keep shoes in a closed closet. As far as the skin, don't let her gnaw on you at all, even though it's tempting. Actually your *ouch* is the right way to react when she attempt to take a little nip. Over-react a bit so she knows this is hurtful. Then say *No bite*. Be consistent. You might want to try the Nyla bones, but don't let them get chewed down too much.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks so much, guys!
Actually, I'm going to see if my dad can pick up some bitter apple on the way home from work. This may not happen, though, because he works VERY hard, almost 12-13 hours A DAY! :eek: :eek: Poor dad, at least he has something fun to come home too!(Rita)
Thanks again, guys! :)

lute
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
your poor dad. he's a good guy for supporting your family. :D

the bitter apple will either work well or not work at all. i've heard of some dogs that just ignore it compleatly and go on chewing. so make sure the bitter apple works before you rely on it!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
AWWW, thanks Lute! He really does work hard. Some days, he comes home so stressed because of work... :(

lute
05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
that can be tough. my parents own a business. because they work together they often bring their work home. it can be stressful.

*i have to go play with a bored Gracie. she screamed at me and acted like she passed out on the floor.* :rolleyes:

zoomer
05-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Awwww Rita you silly girl!

Now, to your beloved owner: Try putting a spray called 'Bitter Apple', which you can get from a pet store on whatever he chews on. If that doesn't help always praise when doing something right and dont do anything when they do something wrong... thats my method;):p

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 08:34 AM
the ONLY thing he chewed other than his toys was THE WALL! :eek:
how does a dog chew on the wall?? :p :p :p :p

*LabLoverKEB*
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Oh, GOOD thing you guys recommended the Bitter Apple, she hates the taste! It really works! Thanks!

anna_66
06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
This might work on some of the outside things (plants and such)...we used a mix of hot pepper juice (habanero, tabasco and any other pepper I could get my hands on!). Roxey wanted to chew on all the vegetation outside and this worked pretty well, of course till it rained then we had to reapply :rolleyes:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think the best bones for puppies are the Steralized Bones (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 6068&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026203&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1147995472624&itemNo=0&Ntt=steralized+bones&In=All&previousText=steralized+bones&N=2). I swear by those things!

Have fun with your chewing puppy:D:D:D

lute
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
how does a dog chew on the wall?? :p :p :p :p
he just started chewin on the doorway.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks again, everyone! I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have such SWEET people to communicate with!

Anna, I'll have to try the two things you suggested!

bckrazy
06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
My puppies favorite chews are RAW beef & lamb ribs, RAW pigs feet, RAW turkey leg quarters, puppy kong stuffed with anything good (meat, cheese, peanut butter, etc), hard Nylabones, Merrick rolled rawhide (with strict supervision), Merrick Bully Stix, & Merrick Cow Tails. Make sure you rotate her chews every day to keep things exciting! Chewing inedible stuff sucks, just keep a close eye on her and show her what you want her to chew on.

Fozzie actually sticks to his chew toys, they taste a lot better than the wall! But, he does try to mutilate my fuzzy leopard print Converse if they aren't put away :rolleyes: