PDA

View Full Version : Annoying TV Commercials

Pam
05-30-2006, 06:49 AM
There is a commercial running now that is just driving me crazy. It is, I believe, for the Volkswagen Passat. It starts out with some guy yelling *Daddy never loved me* over and over again. I think the point of the ad is that they claim people buy cars based on their ego. :rolleyes: Somehow I always thought it was something about the car's design, what's under the hood and affordability. There are so many ads nowadays that just turn me off, so much so that I would avoid that product because of the ad. Anyone else have an ad that gets on their last nerve?

Killearn Kitties
05-30-2006, 07:06 AM
There used to be one here, and I don't even remember what the product being advertised was, but it had a techno look about it, and a voice that said "Hello Tosh, got a Toshiba?" over and over and over and over and over. It drove me absolutely insane.

Lady's Human
05-30-2006, 07:22 AM
The endless stream of "potency" drugs and their ads. For that matter, drug ads in general, other than aspirin and allergy meds.

moosmom
05-30-2006, 07:24 AM
I do NOT like the new Fed Ex commercial where the caveman walks out of the cave and kicks the dragon or whatever prehistoric animal it is. Bad taste in my opinion.

Jo-Anne
05-30-2006, 07:28 AM
The one with the dancing cows.. You know it's a human in costume dancing amongst real cows so it's very very annoying...

Pembroke_Corgi
05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
There is a commercial running now that is just driving me crazy. It is, I believe, for the Volkswagen Passat. It starts out with some guy yelling *Daddy never loved me* over and over again. I think the point of the ad is that they claim people buy cars based on their ego. Somehow I always thought it was something about the car's design, what's under the hood and affordability. There are so many ads nowadays that just turn me off, so much so that I would avoid that product because of the ad. Anyone else have an ad that gets on their last nerve?

There used to be one here, and I don't even remember what the product being advertised was, but it had a techno look about it, and a voice that said "Hello Tosh, got a Toshiba?" over and over and over and over and over. It drove me absolutely insane.
I think being annoying might be the point- you both remembered the product anyway (Volkswagan and Toshiba), which is what the company wants!

I don't watch too much tv so I'm not up on current commercials but the ones that annoy me are the ones that I have to see at EVERY break so by watching an hour of tv you have to see about 6 times.

catnapper
05-30-2006, 08:18 AM
I hate the Burker King commercial where the guy scream "I am Man! Its supposed to say that its a big man sized burger.... but all I see is that its saying men shouldn't eat healthy. That men are messy, sloppy, selfish creatures who only want big food.

I also hate all those Geico commercials. Every last one. I don't know which one is more annoying - thats darn gecko or the cavemen. I used to think he was cute (the gecko) but now that he's got that fake accent.... urg.... drives me insane!

sasvermont
05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I cannot stand the new Dukin Donuts ad about the karatteeeeeeeeeeeee. I think they are trying to sell some sort of drink.......three or four kids in the car with the mom and they all have an activity to go to...... I cannot watch that ad. It sends me right up a wall!

Killearn Kitties
05-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I think being annoying might be the point- you both remembered the product anyway (Volkswagan and Toshiba), which is what the company wants!
:D True up to a point, but if it annoys you so much that you would go out of your way not to buy their product, then it becomes counter productive.

catnapper
05-30-2006, 08:24 AM
I cannot stand the new Dukin Donuts ad about the karatteeeeeeeeeeeee. I think they are trying to sell some sort of drink.......three or four kids in the car with the mom and they all have an activity to go to...... I cannot watch that ad. It sends me right up a wall!
OMG! And their ad about legs sticking to the back pf pleatheeeerrrrrr! What an ANNOYING commercial --- and no, a drink will not keep your legs from sticking to pleather :rolleyes:

Rachel
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
For me it's the pharmaceutical ads. If you don't already have a particular ailment, you are sure to believe that there is another one you hadn't even heard of before, waiting in the wings for you. Then after they finish the pitch, they read a list of all the side effects that taking the drug could cause which are often worse than the original ailment. :eek:

These ads proliferate in magazines too to the point that you feel there is no escape from the many things that can go wrong with your body. :rolleyes:

moosmom
05-30-2006, 08:37 AM
OH YEAH!!! Those stupid GEIGO commercials!!! ANY AND ALL of them!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
05-30-2006, 08:48 AM
For me it's the pharmaceutical ads. If you don't already have a particular ailment, you are sure to believe that there is another one you hadn't even heard of before, waiting in the wings for you. Then after they finish the pitch, they read a list of all the side effects that taking the drug could cause which are often worse than the original ailment. :eek:
I know, we often joke about those kinds of commercials- "common side effects include dry mouth, stomach pain, and death..."

I hate drug commercials too! As if the pharmaceutical companies don't have enough money already they need to push drugs onto people who probably don't need them.

anna_66
05-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I despise the tampon/maxi pad commercials :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
05-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Jeff Foxworthy has a hysterical monologue about side effects of drugs, which is on the Redneck Comedy Tour Rides Again , I think. Among them are "reduced gas mileage, lower property values, feline leukemia(!)..."

Karen
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
We *love* our DVR - digital video recorder - it was an option with our cable tv. We no longer see any commercials at all - we can just hit the "30-second skip" button, and it jumps right over them. So I am not even familiar with many of the commercials mentioned. Yay!

Randi
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Before we had commercials on TV, I used to think they were interesting. :rolleyes: It didn't take long before I was fed up seeing them, so these days, I have no clue what they're showing. I go and do something in the kitchen or change to another channel. The worst is that they turn the sound up! :mad: Some channels are worse than others, one is showing commercials every 15-20 min. for about 6 min. - good to know. ;) Luckily, we have a few that don't have commercials at all. It's so nice to watch a film without interruption. :)

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I hate that ford commercial where the girl is singing "come on and get me you really go beep beep". how lame is that song!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: my favorite ones are the capital one commercials!! hilarious!!! :D

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
We *love* our DVR - digital video recorder - it was an option with our cable tv. We no longer see any commercials at all - we can just hit the "30-second skip" button, and it jumps right over them. So I am not even familiar with many of the commercials mentioned. Yay! lucky how much do those things cost???

Suki Wingy
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
wow, over here in the US, we have about 5 minute commercials every 5-10 minutes!
I hate any medical/pharmasudical commercial where they show you a little drawing of your pores or of your veins, even if it has barley anything to do with the product where it makes them seem more "informative"

Randi
05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
wow, over here in the US, we have about 5 minute commercials every 5-10 minutes!
If they did that here, I don't think I'd have a TV.

Karen
05-30-2006, 12:17 PM
lucky how much do those things cost???

I think we pay an extra $9 a month on our cable bill - worth every single penny, as it also records shows right even if the network moves around when it is on the air!

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
:D Really?? I thought they cost way more. We will definetly look into that!! Thanks! :D

Randi
05-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Oh, and one more thing .... I hate when they start blabbering about what's on tomorrow, before the film is finished, they certainly don't have any respect for the credits, and sometimes they run them so fast, theymay as well not run them at all, you have NO chance to read anything. If you have seen a film, or another good programme, I like to sit and digest it and see who did what. What's the hurry?? People are stressed enough as it is!!

Btw, if you're interested, these are the channels we can watch in Denmark: http://tv.tv2.dk/tv/?Region=1&Kategori=0&Dato=0&Soegeord=&Periode=2&KanalID=1&forsidedropdown

If you click where it says "Danske", you can also choose to see what we can view from other countries.

Logan
05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I rarely see a program when it is aired, so thankfully we have a DVR like Karen and Paul, and we just Fast Forward right through those commercials. I never see commercials and if I do, I guess I'm not paying any attention to them! LOL!!

Logan

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
That is cool!! :D

finn's mom
05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh my gosh, ANY of the overstock.com commercials. That woman and her voice drive me completely up the wall. I can't watch or listen at all, I always have to change the station. Grrr!

anna_66
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I rarely see a program when it is aired, so thankfully we have a DVR like Karen and Paul, and we just Fast Forward right through those commercials. I never see commercials and if I do, I guess I'm not paying any attention to them! LOL!!

Logan
Oh yes! I love my DVR! Gets rid of those nasty commercials:D

Miss Z
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
OMG, I have loads of adverts I hate, here are the top 5

5. Sheila's wheels. It was good to start with but now it's on all the time and it drives me crazy! I still know all the words though:p

4. Injury Lawers 4U. It's just one of those stupid daytime adverts offering basically, a con. I hate that line 'will I receive 100% of the compensation?' that is so annoying!

3. ALL the Loreal adverts. I despise the slogan and frankly I don't think any of the women on them look that good anyway XD

2. The Ski Up and Go Yoghurt thingey. No offence to any Londoners but her accent gets on my nerves :rolleyes:

And my all time despised advert.......

1. Cillit Bang Grime and Lime Cleaner. It is SO cheesy. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE IT! I practically cringe every time it comes on. A little OTT I know, but it really bugs me.:rolleyes: :D

Flatcoatluver
05-30-2006, 07:45 PM
ok I hate the vehix.com commericials they are the most annoying ever and they play them over and over again!

Alysser
05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I HATE the Mcdonalds commercial where the whole commercial is cursing! UGH! IT'S soooo annoying. The whole commercial is beeping. :mad:

Argranade
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I also hate those cow commercial's too there so stupid and annoying not to mention I bet if they would show real cows in factories being milked they would not be singing about it maybe even turn vege. :cool:

Lol there should be a station with just commercial's so that when were in the middle of a good show its not spoiled with ''Come try Mcdanalds new greasy slapped together hambuger with extra maynass to stick right to ya'' :rolleyes: or ''Try the new KFC chicken sandwich we make shur those chickens get slapped againsts the wall real hard to make the meat more tender oh and sticks work too''

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 10:16 AM
I despise those AIG commercials. The local car dealership commercial are so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so LAME!!!!!!!!! whew! :mad: Chickfila commercials are not as bad but still annoying!!! I don't even like that kind of chicken anyway.

Killearn Kitties
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I've just remembered another advert that used to bug me. There was nothing particularly annoying about the advert itself, rather its message. It was from Ford and was one of those "be all you can be" adverts. There were actually two adverts in the campaign, one featured a woman and the other, a man, presumably aimed at different markets. The woman went to use the rest room and finding the Ladies had a huge queue, used the Gents instead. The other featured Colin Macrae driving a Ford very quickly.

So, if you are a man you can aspire to be World Rally Champion, and if you are a woman you can aspire to use the Gents????