PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I need some pretty big help here.

Sevaede
05-30-2006, 02:55 AM
My mother in law has decided she wants the kitty (She has started calling her Bukie.) that we have been fostering for three weeks. She does not particularly care for litter box duty, though, and neither of us want the cat to go outside as we don't want her to run off into the street, get picked up, killed, or other things. She is about 7-8 weeks old now. So, my big question is how do you toilet train a cat? Are there any tips or aids that anyone can offer? Any tools? I know it's possible because I know people who've done it. thanks! :D

allmypets615
05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Hello there!
I can give ou a couple of suggestions that have worked for me...:)
show kitty where the box is, don't move it around as it might confuse kitty. Put her in the box, take her paws and help her dig in the litter so she gets the idea. Since she is just a little thing, it wouldn't hurt to put another box on the other side of the house. Just remember accidents will happen..clean it with natures miricle and move on.
Another thing that wouldn't be a bad idea is to crate the kitten or put her in a room with the box. I have done this with many foster kittens with great success. Cat attract is a good kitty training aid..Call different pet stores to see if they carry it. Some vets may carry it also.
Hope that helps. Don't forget to spay her when she comes of age! :cool: ;)
missy

Karen
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
She meant - "train to use the human toilet" not the litterbox.

Here's one web page I found on the subject: http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

allmypets615
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
OOOps! not enough coffee this morning!! To get kitty to use the toilet, you can get an insert that fits over the opening of the toilet bowl...its a plastic insert..put a little litter in there w/ cat attract. Make sure she will be able to get up there with out falling. This may have to be in for at least the time it takes her to grow big enough so she can get out should she fall in.
missy

moosmom
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Put kitty in a room with her litterbox, food and water. Do not let her out for 24 to 48 hours. She'll get the idea.

That's what I had to do when Mollie Rose was a baby cuz she was born in a barn and the world was her litterbox.

allmypets615
05-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Thats a good website..the cat looks so thrilled to have her picture taken at that moment tho! LOL

catmandu
05-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I Have Never Got Any Of The Found Cats To Use The Human Toilet, Except Of Course As A Fountain.

critter crazy
05-30-2006, 06:38 PM
the way we taught our one cat to use the toilet was to place the catbox next to the toilet. after a few weeks gradually raise the box , higher every few weeks till it eventually is even with the toilet. once the cat is used to going there, you can pick up this bowl from a petstore that fite right inside the toilet seat. you place the litter in there and remove the catbox. once your cat has mastered the use of the bowl, you slowly begin to decrease the amount of litter, to get the cat away from burying and scratching. after a few eeks of this you emove the litter, and eventually the bowl Ta-da!!! it takes a lot of time and patiance!! but it does work!!!:D

Sevaede
05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
She meant - "train to use the human toilet" not the litterbox.

Here's one web page I found on the subject: http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

Thanks! :D

Sevaede
05-30-2006, 11:06 PM
OOOps! not enough coffee this morning!! To get kitty to use the toilet, you can get an insert that fits over the opening of the toilet bowl...its a plastic insert..put a little litter in there w/ cat attract. Make sure she will be able to get up there with out falling. This may have to be in for at least the time it takes her to grow big enough so she can get out should she fall in.
missy

Yeah, I was thinking it would have to wait until she's a month or so older. For right now, the litter box will work! Thank you! :D

Sevaede
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
the way we taught our one cat to use the toilet was to place the catbox next to the toilet. after a few weeks gradually raise the box , higher every few weeks till it eventually is even with the toilet. once the cat is used to going there, you can pick up this bowl from a petstore that fite right inside the toilet seat. you place the litter in there and remove the catbox. once your cat has mastered the use of the bowl, you slowly begin to decrease the amount of litter, to get the cat away from burying and scratching. after a few eeks of this you emove the litter, and eventually the bowl Ta-da!!! it takes a lot of time and patiance!! but it does work!!!:D

Ah, that's awesome! Thank you much!

Any luck on getting them to use the flusher? :D