PDA

View Full Version : Oh, it's going to be an expensive week!

Glacier
05-30-2006, 12:13 AM
This afternoon I had the longest vet appointment in history! Bandit was booked for an appointment at 2, but I decided to take Paxil along. Vet wasn't sure he had time to see both of them and after some discussion he decided that Paxil was more urgent. She hasn't eaten since Thursday night--not a bite, no matter what I've offered her, she won't eat. So given her history(two bouts of cancer and one near fatal fight with pancreatitis), the vet thought a full work up was in order.

Paxil, of course, did not act sick during the exam at all! She was snuggling up to Dr. Kim, giving him kisses. She yelped once during the whole thing and that was with deep spinal palpation. She likely has some athritis starting in there--she is 10 years old and has always been a working dog, but that's not causing her loss of appetite. She's moving just fine, just not as much as usual. Blood work was done next. She's showing some signs of dehydration(duh, didn't need expensive tests to tell me that!), but no signs of kidney, heart or liver disease. Phew! Her pancreatic enzyemes are elevated. Not to the point that she can be diagnoised with full pancreatitis, but enough that Dr. Kim thinks that could be the problem. He thinks if we can get her hydrated that she'll start to feel good enough to eat a bit.

So I spent a long time with one of the techs learning how to do sub-q fluids. Everyone at the clinic was very suprised that I have never had to do them before! Paxil got about half a bag at the clinic and I have to give her more for a couple days. She is not thrilled with the process, but she's pretty cooperative.

When we were finally done with Paxil, Dr. Kim had time to see Bandit too. Bandit has a meilobian cyst on his eye. It's a benign tumor. He had one a few weeks ago in the exact same spot that was removed just by freezing his eyelid. The vet said it would come back, but thought it would be a few months. Well, it took 3 weeks for it to return and start irritating Bandit again. So this time he has to have the more invasive surgery. They will resect his eyelid, remove the area that the cyst is in and stitch it closed again. It has some potential complications, but all surgery does. He will have a full blood panel done before they put him under. Bandit is pushing 10 years old and hasn't been under anasethic in several years. His surgery is scheduled for this Friday.

We didn't get out of the clinic until close to 6pm! Never had a four hour appointment before! Today's bill wasn't as much as I was expecting, but the estimate for Bandit's surgery is steep! I have a big group of dogs who either already are or who are approaching "senior" status. I expect a lot of big bills over the next couple years! (and they are worth every dime)

captain
05-30-2006, 12:18 AM
OMGoodness Tamara!!!

Sorry to hear about the LONG appointment, but I really hope everything goes well with Paxil ....... and poor Bandit ...

{{{hugs}}} to you both, darlin furkids
and of course {{hugs}} to you Tamara :D

IRescue452
05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Well, I hope all goes well with all of them. Hugs to all.

gemini9961
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Goodness!! I hope all goes well with Paxil and Bandit.

Ginger's Mom
05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh Glacier, I am so sorry to hear that. I guess there is always something with a crew as big as you have, but not all at once. I hope this will be the last of your big expenses for a while and the whole gang stays happy and healthy. Will send out positive vibes for Paxil and Bandit.

Queen of Poop
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
As our furbabies get older there are loads more vet visits and loads more bills, but yes, they are certainly worth it. Big HUGS to you, Bandit and Paxil. Prayers that everyone is ok.

finn's mom
05-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Wow, that is a long appointment! But, it sounds like everything can and will be taken care of, so, that's good. I have never had that many pets, but, it was hard on the pocketbook having two elderly pets at once, I can't even imagine! But, you are right, it is worth every dime.

zoomer
05-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Wow! That is one long appointment. Your 23 are worth every penny!

Toby's my baby
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear about the long appointment!! Glad everyone is OK, hope all and any surgeries go good!! {{hugs to everyone}}

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh I hope the surgery goes well!!! {{{prayers and hugs}}}

Logan
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Just like kids and older adults, our puppies and senior pets are all expensive!!! I do hope both of your "babies" are going to be just fine, Glacier, even if your checkbook is screaming in pain.

Logan

BOBS DAD
05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow!!! Yelp!

Hope all goes well with the dogs. And yes, it does sound like those Senior Years are upon you. Good luck with all yer guys!!!

Glacier
05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone.

I gave Paxil more sub-q fluids last night and this morning. Last night she picked some canned food off her kibble, but wouldn't touch the kibble. This morning, she actually ate! I gave her a few chunks of Rollover while she was getting her fluids. She seemed to like them so I tossed a few more on her kibble and she licked her bowl clean! She's not as spunky as usual, but I think with a few more days of fluids and if she keeps eating, she'll be back to normal in no time.

I talked to her vet this morning and we've decided that I'll just keep some fluids on hand at home. She made need them now and then for the rest of her life. If she stops eating again for more than a day, she'll get fluids for a day and if that doesn't work then I'll take her back in to the vet.

buttercup132
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Awww poor pups. Hope wverything goes well.

Just wondering do most mushers get rid of there dogs at the senior age due to this(kinda a stupid question but ya)

gini
05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Anything for our kids!! Even when it bruises and abuses our checkbooks.

I hope all goes well for both of them.

Glacier
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Awww poor pups. Hope wverything goes well.

Just wondering do most mushers get rid of there dogs at the senior age due to this(kinda a stupid question but ya)

Lots of mushers do, especially competitive mushers. Once a dog can't run/race anymore, they are often placed in other homes--recreational teams or as pets. Competitive mushers tend to place their dogs when they are around 6-8 years old. When you have a big kennell adult dogs(many serious, competitive mushers keep hundreds of dogs) and puppies born every year, it's not realistic to keep them all. Some dogs are sold. A lead dog from a well know bloodline with breeding potential can command prices of up to 10 grand.

Some mushers keep their seniors. I have a friend who has a special section of her yard that she calls the retirement home. Some only keep dogs who have extra special meaning to them--outstanding leaders or their first puppy, ect.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough homes for retired sled dogs, not all of them adapt well to being pets, ect, ect and many sled dogs end up dead.

anna_66
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, that sure does sound like a long visit you had there Tamara :eek:

I'm glad that everyone is doing fine now. They are worth all the money in world aren't they:D

cyber-sibes
05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
We'll keep Paxil & Bandit in our prayers and send healing vibes to them both. i gave my cat sub-q fluids for many months, it really helped. Hope Paxil makes a good recovery.

lizbud
05-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, you have an exceptional Vet, but I think you know that. :)
I'm very lucky to have one myself to care for my furry gang. I sure
hope Pixil's appetite picks up & Bandit comes through his surgery just
fine.Sorry about your checkbook taking a hit like this all at once.