PDA

View Full Version : House training

abbersmom
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Nope, Not Abber...
Got a friend from work that has a lil dachshund pup...must be several months old by now...
She does fine each morning & goes outside & does her business....
But in the afternoon/evening every day she poops in the house, even if she has just come back inside.
She has a crate/bed & generally does fine in that, it's just that afternoon potty accident that is the problem...
Any thoughts???

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Is she taking the pup outside constantly? I'd probably keep the pup on a leash so she isn't given the chance to make a mistake and then I'd take her out often. I don't really have much more advice to give you as I've never had a problem with house training my bigger dogs. Dachshunds are known for being difficult to housebreak. It is possible, but it does seem to take them longer than most other breeds.

dab_20
05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Is she taking the pup out every half hour or so?? I agree w/ Orangutango, she should keep the pup with her on a leash or be watching her at all times. She should also being going outside with the pup and making sure she goes potty before she comes in. After every meal, nap and play time, the pup should go out. Both my doxies were never potty trained... they are a bit more difficult to potty train. If your friend is being constant about it, and watching the pup always, then I'm sure she'll be potty trained in no time.