PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any good ideas for snacks...??

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 05:12 PM
I need some good/ HEALTHY snacks to eat on the road. Me and my family are taking a 3 week road trip. We will only be staying at a real house for about 5 days (my brother's in Arizona) so we need some good snacks to eat on the road. We are buying most of our food before we go, so that we don't have to eat out three times a day, over 3 weeks, that could get spendy!! We have a small refridgerator that will be in the vehicle with us, so food that needs to be refridgerated is fine. I need some ideas before we go shopping!! Thank you!! :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
05-29-2006, 05:20 PM
My ultimate favorite snack is 7 layer dip! I just buy a small, premade one from Safeway and some taco chips. When we go on road trips, we make sandwiches and a fruit platter.

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
My ultimate favorite snack is 7 layer dip! I just buy a small, premade one from Safeway and some taco chips. When we go on road trips, we make sandwiches and a fruit platter.

What is 7 layer dip??

RedHedd
05-29-2006, 09:08 PM
What is 7 layer dip??
A Mexican delight:

16 oz. can refried beans
1 C grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 C black ripe olives, sliced, pitted, and drained
1 large tomato, chopped
1 C sour cream
1 C guacamole
1 C salsa

tortilla chips

Using a 10-inch glass pie plate or baking dish, spread the refried beans over the bottom of the dish. Now make a layer for the cheese, followed by the olives, then the tomato, then sour cream, guacamole, and top with salsa. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Serves 8

RedHedd
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Other good, healthy snacks would include cheese, fruit, dried salami, beef jerky, nuts, yogurt.

dab_20
05-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe crackers, and if you have a cooler then fruit, yogurt, etc.

That's funny! We both live in MN, and we both have a brother living in Arizona. lol

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
That's funny! We both live in MN, and we both have a brother living in Arizona. lol

Lol. I have TWO!! :p I won't be living in MN too much longer though! ;) While we are in Arizona, we are going to go have a tour of our new school!! :D I'm SO excited!

Thanks everybody for the great idea!!

kimboe
05-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Mixed nuts
Fruit salad(Honey dew, grapes, cantalope)
Water
Granola bars
Yogurt
Veggies.(peeled baby carrots, grape tomatoes, Broccoli, califlower)

BC_MoM
05-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Mmmmm.. my favourite;;

Veggies & dip!

gini
05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Yuppy trail mix:

Equal portions of:

Raisins
Salted Peanuts
M & M's.......................yummy - but try to stop eating them.

Rachel
05-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Yuppy trail mix:

Equal portions of:

Raisins
Salted Peanuts
M & M's.......................yummy - but try to stop eating them.

Along that same vein.....

almonds with some dried cherries mixed in.

Alysser
05-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Mmmmm.. my favourite;;

Veggies & dip!

My thoughts exactly. How about carrots and ranch? Granola bar are pretty good to and fig newtons. I don't know if fig newtons are healthy but granola bars are good. :p So where are you going?

finn's mom
05-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Bell peppers are great for a snack. They are very healthy, you can get all the colors to get different nutrients, and, they can curb cravings, too. Raspberries are supposedly good for allergies, I eat them daily. :) Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries. They're all very healthy for you, don't take up much room, and, have a lot less sugar than other fruits. And, almonds are fantastic snacks! Enjoy the trip, sounds like a blast!

caseysmom
05-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I cut up bell peppers, pickles, cucumbers and carrots in bite size pieces, everyone has their own baggie of this to munch on.

shihtzulover850
05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with what everyone else said!

Toby's my baby
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
So where are you going?

We are leaving here on Saturday in the morning, and driving through the night. On Sunday night we are staying in Loveland, Colorado. In the morning we are driving to Estes Park, Colorado to visit an older man that we bought land from (we bought land he owns in Arizona). My dad has met him, but he wanted to meet our whole family. After staying the day with him, we are going to start making out way to Montello, Nevada. We recently bought land their (sight unseen) so we are going to see what that looks like. We will probably spend Tuesday there. I'm not sure what we are doing on Wednesday/ Thursday but we are supposed to be in Las Vegas on the 9th (Friday). We will be there at around 7 hopefully earlier. We are planning to leave Las Vegas on Sunday. From Las Vegas, we are going to drive to Kingman, Arizona. We also bought land in Yucca, Arizona (about 20 miles from Kingman) and we haven't seen that land either, so we are going to check that out. We will spend the night in Kingman, then my brother is going to come and get me and my sister, and bring us back to stay with him in Pheonix, while my parents stay in Kingman, and figure out where we want to build our house, find people to dig a well, etc. Then when they are done with all of that, they are going to come to Pheonix, and we are going to stay with my brother, visit my OTHER brother, and do some fun things together. And when we are ready to come home, we will. :p We are thinking about possibly going to California too, I'm hopeing we do! Our whole trip is going to be about 3 weeks long. :) Sorry, that was probably more information than you wanted ;)

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas everyone!!!