PDA

View Full Version : classified question

dab_20
05-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I saw a AKC registered red lab. Is that just a yellow lab w/ a reddish tone? I didn't know you could register a red lab.
Also, I saw someone is selling 5 week old puppies, the ad said 'ready now'. Isn't that illegal? :mad:

.sarah
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
"Red" labs are just a shade of yellow. The standard describes yellow as cream to fox red. So they are just registered as yellow. :)

Not sure about the second question.

cyber-sibes
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
There is a "red fox" lab that comes to the dogpark, he's from a championship line, so he's registered. He's a beautiful red color

BC_MoM
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
I looked up an answer to your second question. I found a table with the legal age of puppies to sell them within different states. Yours was not listed, however, I found nothing under 7 weeks legal.

*future vet*
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Yes, I think puppies can only be sold if they are 7 to 8 weeks old.

Karen
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Puppies *should* only be sold at 7.5-8 weeks or older, but that doesn't mean everyone knows or abides by that.

Perhaps they are letting people choose puppies now, but will keep them with their mom for an additional 3-3 weeks.

bckrazy
05-29-2006, 11:44 PM
In Cali, selling before 8 weeks is completely illegal. That doesn't mean it is not done routinely... :rolleyes:

If I were you, I'd politely call or e-mail them and inform them of the law! Or, call animal services and alert them of the ad.

MomOf7
05-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Depends on the state whether its illegal or not. 7-8 weeks is a good age..8 weeks is preferable.
I have a "fox red" lab...They are only registered as yellow and thier color shouldnt call for an outragious price..A well bred pup is a well bred pup no matter the color. They should be sold for thier pedigree not thier color!

Here is my boy and his name is Red
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p5c95a4af6d3152a423ecd5cc72f98694/ef4ddd19.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/pd3d896f4f911c125a310b67c5c90699a/f13d30dd.jpg

lute
05-30-2006, 09:02 AM
i can't believe anyone would sell pups that young! i see it in the paper all the time. i call them and ask them to kepp the pups/kittens until they are 7-8 weeks old. for the pups/kittens sake they need this time with their mother for pack skills,nutrition, etc.

late last year there were 2 blue dane pups for sale in the paper. they were being sold fer $900 each. i called and tried to explain to the lady it was very wrong for her to sell these pups at ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD!!! :mad: her excuse for selling them this young..."it helps the new owner bond with the pup better if they hand rear the pup themselves" :mad: :mad:

dab_20
05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
late last year there were 2 blue dane pups for sale in the paper. they were being sold fer $900 each. i called and tried to explain to the lady it was very wrong for her to sell these pups at ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD!!! :mad: her excuse for selling them this young..."it helps the new owner bond with the pup better if they hand rear the pup themselves" :mad: :mad:

OMg! Chances are those pups would've died!

.sarah
05-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Kristine - Red is not a fox red, he is dark yellow. Fox reds are much darker and once you see one you'll never mistake a dark yellow for a red again. Here is a fox red: http://www.littleriverlabs.com/willie.htm

dab_20
05-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Fox red is gorgous!

critter crazy
05-31-2006, 07:38 AM
People should be arrested for selling puppies so young!!! drives me nuts, we see it all the time here!! same with kittens!! when i got my kitten Gary(RIP) I was told she was 8 weeks, I took her to the vet because she was so small, and to get all of her shots and the vet told me she couldnt be more than 4 weeks old!!! I was so mad!! so we had her on a special diet for the next few months to make sure she would be okay. I would never buy a dog from a breeder who sells pup in the paper, they are just BYB. But people do it everyday!! Drives me nuts!!!:mad:

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Fox red is gorgous!
yes they are!! :eek:

shihtzulover850
05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
People should be arrested for selling puppies so young!!! drives me nuts, we see it all the time here!! same with kittens!! when i got my kitten Gary(RIP) I was told she was 8 weeks, I took her to the vet because she was so small, and to get all of her shots and the vet told me she couldnt be more than 4 weeks old!!! I was so mad!! so we had her on a special diet for the next few months to make sure she would be okay. I would never buy a dog from a breeder who sells pup in the paper, they are just BYB. But people do it everyday!! Drives me nuts!!!:mad: yup :mad: