PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything I can do for her?

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I noticed Autumn looked as if she was walking on 'pins and needles' today, so I checked her over and I noticed she broke her nail. (pictures attached) Is there anything I can do?

.sarah
05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Ouch - get her to the vet.

In the meantime I'd apply some antibiotic ointment and wrap her foot.

gemini9961
05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Ouch :eek: Sorry I have no advice. Maybe it will break off?

Alysser
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Ouch - get her to the vet.

In the meantime I'd apply some antibiotic ointment and wrap her foot.

I agree with Sarah. The crack could spread and wind up breaking the quick, which will cause her to bleed. A bleeding nail for a dog is serious.

dab_20
05-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree, rap her foot and put ointment on until you can get her to the vet.

lute
05-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Beanie has done this before. if you have any Quickstop cut the broken part off and apply the QuickStop to the nail it will stop the bleeding instantly. wrap the foot and take her to the vet.

if you don't have Quickstop just wrap her foot and take her to the vet.

poor pup. :(

wolfsoul
05-29-2006, 12:24 PM
We often get dogs with broken nails at work. :) Cut the nail where it is broken and apply quick-stop and lots of pressure. The bleeding isn't serious, with the quick-stop and pressure it will stop. For now, leaving the nail like that, the broken piece is moving and irritating the quick. It's best to just cut it off and get it over with. I'd have someone distract her with tons of treats and loving so that she doesn't even know you're cutting her nail. Most dogs won't carry a grudge though -- I am the worst for quicking dogs, I always try to get the nail as short as possible (on dogs with really long nails) and I often groom the same dogs, and none of them are difficult for nails if they weren't in the first place. It's true that some bleed more than others, but it's nothing that some quick-stop and pressure won't stop.

shihtzulover850
05-29-2006, 12:39 PM
ouch that must hurt!!!! poor thing. :(

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 12:45 PM
We have quickstop, but I'm scared to death to cut it off!! :o :( The vets are all closed today, and we don't have any emergency vets around here because all the towns within a 50 mile radius are small. I'll call the vet tomorrow, she has to go get her shots this week too, so it will work out. I'll try to work up the courage to cut it off....maybe my sister will.. Thanks everybody!

Karen
05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
We have quickstop, but I'm scared to death to cut it off!! :o :( The vets are all closed today, and we don't have any emergency vets around here because all the towns within a 50 mile radius are small. I'll call the vet tomorrow, she has to go get her shots this week too, so it will work out. I'll try to work up the courage to cut it off....maybe my sister will.. Thanks everybody!

Maybe you can be the "snuggler/distractor" and your sister will do the cutting. It's gotta hurt the way it is now!

lute
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Maybe you can be the "snuggler/distractor" and your sister will do the cutting. It's gotta hurt the way it is now!
i agree. cutting the broekn part off will help relieve the pain. just give her some children's tylenol and she'll be fine. :)

luvofallhorses
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
:eek: Ouch! I would get her to the vet first thing tomorrow. That has to hurt. :( Rocky broke his nail playing too rough with Jenny a year or so ago.
We took him to the vet and the vet has to cut his nails now when he needs them trimmed. Give her a hug for me!

Toby's my baby
05-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks Everybody!!

:mad: I finally worked up the courage to cut it off, and had everything ready, and realized I didn't have the clipper, went to get it, and it turns out SOMEBODY didn't put it back last time they used it. :mad: I've looked everywhere for it. Unless it turns up, I guess this is gonna have to wait till tomorrow so I can get her to the vet. :o :(

Anita Cholaine
05-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Poor girl :( It really looks like it hurts! Hope you can do something to help her as soon as posible!

zoomer
05-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Poor girl... get her to the vet ASAP and put some of that yellow powder on it for broken nails (if that helps :rolleyes: )... :(