PDA

View Full Version : First time having a dog, any tips?

jagsjorge
05-28-2006, 10:57 PM
oh... and can you guys tell me when do you register or get the license and where can you do it and where. Thanks :D

bckrazy
05-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi. I'm sure lots of members would be happy to help. We need more info! :)

*What breed is your dog?

*What age/size? PICS PREFERRED

*Where did you get your dog/history?

*What kind of lifestyle do you live (work, house, yard, time at home, kids, etc)?

*What kind of training/purchases have you completed or plan on doing?

Generally, you register your dog as soon as you get the papers from the breeder. You need to talk about this with the breeder! As for licensing, that requires a rabies vaccination. Your pup cannot be vaccinated against rabies until they are 16 weeks - at which point your Vet will either license for you, or you will have to send in proof of a rabies shot to your county animal control. Just an FYI, pups go in for shots at 6 (+deworm), 8(+deworm), 12(+deworm), & 16 weeks. Depending on at what age your pup is, you will need to bring him/her into your Vet at these stages.

Lori Jordan
05-29-2006, 09:52 AM
The dog license usually ome around door to door i just got all my guys registerd,i asked her since last year i recieved the papers to fill out in my taxes,she said that not all people own the home there living in so they would not get the papers,so depending on where you live i guess the town hall is a good place to go to find out more on that!!I hope you enjoy your new Dog they bring so much love to one's life.

shihtzulover850
05-29-2006, 11:35 AM
welcome to pet talk. getting a new dog is fun. Congratulations! :D

Karen
05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
In my hometown, you have to go to town hall to get the dog license the first time, I believe, then after that it's just annually renewed by mail.

cyber-sibes
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Call your local phone number for the dog warden/animal control - they can give you a list of places to register for tags. We do it at either the Humane society or the pet shop.
if you menat, how do dyou register a dog with the AKC, as someone said, your breeder will provide you with the pup's registration number if it's never been registered before. There should be info on the back about where to send documents to. you have to pay a bit extra if you want a Certified Pedigree- but it's kind of neat to see who your dog's ancesters were.

wolfsoul
05-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Over here you buy licenses at pet stores, groomers, animal control, or the SPCA. You just have to fill out a quick form and they give you a license. Then you have to go back the next year and get another. I don't license my dog though -- there are too many ways it can come back and get you in the end. When a little boy rode his bike into a group of playing dogs, Visa accidentally scratched him. We were fined $200 and given a dangerous dog when animal control looked up our license and found our information. Jynnelle (tikeyas_mom) was visited by animal control every week when they licensed their dogs --- for some reason animal control here doesn't like huskies and malamutes --- they would say that they had reports of their dogs running loose and killing cats. They finally ended up giving away one of their dogs because animal control was going to come and take it away. They stopped licensing their dogs, and animal control stopped coming. For me, having a Belgian, I worry about the same thing happening to me. When animal control came to my house about Visa scratching the boy, he made a huge deal about telling me how groenendaels are very dangerous dogs, how they are used for attacking, they are unpredictable, they are aggressive, etc. I will never license a dog again after that. Just some food for thought. All of my friends have had difficulties too, and none of them license their dogs either. Being in the pet/breeding business, our reputations are extremely valuable, and we can't risk animal control being on our back all the time.

zoomer
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Well you can find everything about registering a dog here:

http://www.akc.org

And information on dogs alone at these places:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com
http://www.puppydogweb.com
http://www.gotdogsonline.com

Hope I could help you :D