PDA

View Full Version : Bad fur day

Heather Wallace
05-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Tatty is now nine yrs old. He is not a long haired cat but it is slightly longer than Max's coat. We brush him quite a lot but his fur always looks really cruffy. It also gets matted quite a lot.

I am thinking it is because of his age and it never used t be this bad, the shine has also gone form it. I feel sorry for him, also the thought of him getting old kills me as he has been with me since he was 6 weeks old.

Heather Wallace
05-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Thanks spencer for you reply, he has quite a good diet although he has has some health problems in the past year.

As you can see he is quite a large cat so I think some time he finds it difficult to clean nearer his back/bottm part.:)

yorkster
05-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi Heather. I don't remember, are your boys related? They look like they are. :)

Another cat I had (RB) had a dull looking coat too. I started feeding him this food called Avoderm. It is a bit pricey, but it helped. It has avacado in it that helps keep the coat in good condition and shiney.
I also feed it to my dog that I have now- it seems to agree with her digestive sytem well (had some problems with some of the others) :)

wayne0214
05-10-2002, 08:44 AM
Heather, you might try giving him some Nutra-cal. It did wonders for Tiger. Although she is less than 1 year old , she had developed dietary problems early in life. When I took her in for spaying the vet read the write-up that was submitterd with her. She recommended Nutra-cal to help her recover from being weak when Tiger hasn't eaten in a few hours. Now, practically every morning she is running through the house and playing with all sorts of things that she finds on the floor, even playing with the kittens.:)

..........wayne

Heather Wallace
05-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by yorkster
[B]Hi Heather. I don't remember, are your boys related? They look like they are.

No they are not related at all. Tatty came tolive with me 9 yrs ago as a rescue cat, i was given him by someone in the street. Then two yrs later Max came along also a rescue cat fromt he cats protection league. It was just by chance that they look a like.

Thanks Wayne for your advice also. At the moment I am feeding them IAMS light plus tuna and some cat food. I actually received some info by post about natural cat health products, vitamins and the like for older cats.

krazyaboutkatz
05-11-2002, 01:01 AM
You also might want to try a leave on conditioner. You can buy this in any pet store. I've been using this every week on my cats for quite a while now. It's become a part of their grooming process. I originally bought it because two of my cats have dry flaky skin. It seems to help this condition as well as keep their coats shiny and it smells good too.

AmberLee
05-11-2002, 08:40 AM
A leave-in conditioner sounds good. Which brand do you find works best on your fur-kids?

krazyaboutkatz
05-11-2002, 05:56 PM
In the past I've used a brand called Veterinarian's Best but I couldn't find it the last time so I bought one called Refresh Coat Conditioner and Tangle Remover. It's supposed to leave the coat shiny and tangle free and it has a money back guarantee. I bought it at Petco and it can be used on dogs too. I've just started using it so I'll have to see if it's as good as the previous one.