PDA

View Full Version : Adopting a kitty tomorrow...

kittysr4me
05-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I need your 2 cents worth.

I am planning on meeting a lady from a Humane Society half way, (the animal shelter is about 70 miles from me). She asked me to fill out an application including my landlords name and #. Well... She couldn't have checked with my landlord, because they aren't there today. And I just sent the application in the email today.
Isn't that kind of strange that they wouldn't check with my landlord first? She says that I can "have" the kitty tomorrow with the $40.00 adoption fee.

This is the link to the kitty that I'll be seeing tomorrow.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displa...i?petid=6277086

So what kinds of things should I be looking for that would make me go... "I don't want this cat?"
I have a 2 1/2 year old that can't go with tomorrow. She's with her dad.

kittysr4me
05-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Anyone?

kitimom
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM
First off, I would definately find out from the landlord if it is ok for ya to have kitty. Is there a pet deposit required, etc. Then, I woulmd consider if the 2.5 year old is ready for a kitty. Usually parents will get a kitty for small children and then when kitty scratches child, back to the shelter kitty goes. Make sure to teach child to be careful with kitty; gentle and all that.
Ask the shelter employee for her name and number incase something should come up. Ask to see kitties vet records, if any, or ask for the name and number of the vet she was taken to for shots and check up. Ask if Kitty has been around small children before. Ask how well kitty gets along with other kitties or doggies; no one knows what the future may hold. Ask what kind of food she has been eating, changing foods on her, especially in a stressfull situation like adoption and new home could cause diarreah. Ask what the return policy is for the shelter. If things don't work out, will they take kitty back. You may not get your money back, but think of it as a donation to the shelter.

Always remember if you need advice, Holla at Pet Talk!!!! That is why we are here!!!
Good Luck!!!
P.S. Ask if she is aggressive. Some places may or maynot tell ya, but ask anyway and make sure to get the name and number of the shelter worker who wil be meeting you.

jenluckenbach
05-28-2006, 08:31 AM
First I need to laugh (at myself) because when you said you have a 2 1/2 year old, who couldn't come along, I thought you meant a CAT! :o

OK. I could not see the cat's petfinder page. It is a kitten or an adult?

ASK if the cat has been around toddlers.

ASK about his/her personality? (laid back, active, shy......)

ASK about vet info (shots, testing, worming, flea treatment, neuter......)

LOOK for obvious signs of illness. (red or runny eyes, runny nose, is the coat shiny.........)

ASK about a return policy if it does not work out.

and ARE you allowed to have pets according to your landlord????

Good luck.

catnapper
05-28-2006, 09:31 AM
First I need to laugh (at myself) because when you said you have a 2 1/2 year old, who couldn't come along, I thought you meant a CAT! :o
Me too!

If you don't get a lot of responses this weekend, its because of the holiday. Things are typically slow around here during holiday time.

I would most definately describe your lifestyle and what type of cat you're looking for. If you are a busy family always on the run, please tell them because a needy cat would be a bad fit for your family. But if you're homebodies, then a very needy cat would thrive with you and your family. Also, do you want an energetic cat, or one thats very quiet? Consider an adult cat -- babies and kittens sound like a good thing but in reality it causes a lot of stress and additional hard work.... I've seen it where the baby FEARS the kitten because the kitten does what comes naturally.

Consider how much time you have for grooming and general maintance. Long haired cats require much more brushing than short, and also need a professional groomer ot shave them down in hot weather. They get tangles and mats very easily, and you need to brush a few times a week. Not all long hairs like to be brushed, so it can be a fight. Long haired cats also tend to get poo stuck to the base of their tails. :eek: Are you willing to trim nails? If not, look for one already declawed. Please don't declaw and adult cat that has its nails in tact - it can cause some litterbox and biting issues.

hmmm... what else? I'm sure I'll think of more :D

catmandu
05-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Because Some Landlors Have Had Trouble With Careless Cat Owners, Some Dont Not Allow Cats Or Dogs.
I Was In A Building Where The Idiots Used A Cardboard Box As A Litter Box, And Never Cleaned It.
Of Course It Was Soked Throughly And When The Super Moved It, It Fell Apart.
The Shelter Is Obliged By Law To Check Out If A Pet Is Welcome If You Are Renting.
Too Many Returns Elsewise.

molucass
05-28-2006, 11:42 PM
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6277086

I got the link to work...I don't really have any advice, but I did want to say that he's a very pretty kitty.

jenluckenbach
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Any news on the adoption???

catmandu
06-01-2006, 06:09 PM
What a Handsome Cat.
He looks like Jens Jim,I hope I have the right Cat.